Author Topic: Does the AN patient need someone's help right after radiation  (Read 2370 times)

priya.macharla

Hi all,
My brother is going to undergo Radiation  for AN in another  10days. Can  anyone please let me know regarding the effects of it. I mean how would he feel right after radiation? Can he manage by himself or he needs someone's help at home ?  He himself is not sure of this. Since I live in a different country, any comments or suggestions would be a great help. So that I can plan to travel to help him.

Thanks
Priya

Echo

Re: Does the AN patient need someone's help right after radiation
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:09 pm »
Everyone reacts differently, so it's hard to say, but it's probably best to have someone go with him for support.   

I met a man through our local support group I went to, who had his Gamma Knife early in the morning and then walked out of the hospital and met a friend for lunch.  He was back to work in 2 days and doing great.  I went to the same Gamma Center, early in the morning, but did not have my treatment until mid afternoon.  I had a massive headache immediately after the treatment and was given an IV injection to take away the pain and the nausea. It knocked me out for about an hour and when I woke up I was pain free and had no nausea.  I did need someone to drive me home and once there I had something to eat and then went to bed to sleep off the drugs I had been given.   The next 3 days were rough because my eyes swelled up in a reaction to the anesthetic from the head frame being applied.  I was basically at home using ice packs for 3 days before I could get the swelling down and the bruising cleared up.  Other than the swollen eyes I felt fine, no headaches or problems.

Best of luck!
Cathie

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

priya.macharla

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply Cathie. I understand that everyone's reaction could be different.

Echo

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:44:12 am »
The Gamma Center will probably ask your brother to have someone with him in case he needs help getting home, but otherwise he should be just fine.  It's not uncommon to have a severe headache after the frame comes off (if he is having Gamma Knife).  If he is having CyberKnife there is no frame so the headache would not be an issue.  Your brother will be well taken care of and will not be any major discomfort for any length of time. 

The man who had his treatment ahead of me, walked back to the recovery room and left within an hour with his wife - no troubles.

My biggest complaint was having to wait so long for treatment after the frame was put on.  I couldn't wear my glasses so I couldn't see to read or watch TV.  Having my sister with me was wonderful as I had company to help pass the time.

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

TSS

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »
I had 5 CK sessions and felt fine after each;  wife was supposed to drive but to maintain my sanity I drove home afterwards.  Todd