Author Topic: I'm home!  (Read 6176 times)

ellenvig

• My AN
I'm home!
« on: September 23, 2006, 02:21:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

It was a VERY long day.  We left the house at 4:30am to arrive at the hospital at 6.  Once there, they gave me some Ativan, injected local anesthetic, and attached the head frame.  Then it was off to the CT Scan and MRI.  I must have an unusually short neck, because they had to cram me into the MRI machine in a very awkward position which cramped up my neck and shoulders.  Unfortunately, that was the beginning of the end.  I was cramped up and with a MASSIVE headache for the rest of the day.  Even Fioricet only knocked the pain down to a tolerable level.  I finally went to the Gamma Knife machine about 4:00!  They test fitted me and saw, because my shoulders were hitting the adjustment areas, I wouldn't fit very well.  That meant they had to attach things to the head frame which would then fit into the helmet.  That also meant they had to take me out and adjust everything manually!  I went into the machine 17 times, which, because of the manual adjustments, took almost 3 hours!  I finally went up to my room about 8:30, ate something, and went to sleep!  I woke up this morning feeling fine.  The screw points in the front are barely noticeable.  The back ones are pretty sore, though.  My head feels a bit full, I have some dizziness, and general weakness, but not bad!  Hopefully they'll only get better from here!

Here are pictures: http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: I'm home!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:26:58 pm »
Glad to hear you made it through, despite the pains!  Here's hoping you never have to do that again!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

matti

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 05:23:18 pm »
Wow!! that was sure a long and painful day. Interesting pictures, I was a surgery patient and have never seen the GK set-up, thanks for sharing them. That head frame has to hurt OUCH!!

I was also surprised at the location of the toilet, not seen anything like that before LOL

Take care!

hugs,
Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

MLB57

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 05:48:55 pm »
Hi Ellen--so glad to hear from you!! Oh you poor thing  :(--I am so sorry that you had that massive headache--have you had migraines and/or headaches before like that?  Boy, I'd say it was a long day for you (and yiour family!!) So you didn't have anything to eat all day until that night? I gotta tell you I am curious if you went thru all 3 hrs without a potty visit!! (That's a long time especially if you were anxious even though you had the ativan)... ;D

I gotta tell you that the photos of the screw of the headframe are scary--looks like a drill bit from an off-shiore oil rig--but I guess the "pins" that actually go into your skin and touch your skull must be smaller...!?!? ???

I am visiting my kids in RI tomorrow and will tell them about my re-growing AN and Consult I have Sepyt 28 w/Dr Noren...  :o

I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are so glad that day is now behind you and that your AN got spanked enough to behave itself (ha ha) and never awaken again and maybe shrink even!!! ;)

ake care and keep in touch with updates!!!  Best always--Mary from MA

LancasterLass@aol.com
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:31:02 pm »
HI Ellen,

Good to hear that you are home......!!!!!! :)

Sorry about your neck, and the fitting in, but I read your last three lines in your post and it sounded like you were ok? even after 17 tries? did they not have an idea about that sort of problem that "could" come  up when you had your pre- treatment appopintments or what? was this like a totally big surprise?

In any case, good to hear you are home and doing ok.

All the best,
Windsong

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 06:48:53 pm »

It's great that you sent in the pictures!!! Thanks a lot.

Ok, so here is my question re the helmets in your pic?

What's the difference between the red dots and the blue dots on the helmet pics? Looked like one has a choice?

And which one did you have?

Colour co-ordinated or what lol?

All the best,
Windsong

Hi Everyone,

It was a VERY long day.  We left the house at 4:30am to arrive at the hospital at 6.  Once there, they gave me some Ativan, injected local anesthetic, and attached the head frame.  Then it was off to the CT Scan and MRI.  I must have an unusually short neck, because they had to cram me into the MRI machine in a very awkward position which cramped up my neck and shoulders.  Unfortunately, that was the beginning of the end.  I was cramped up and with a MASSIVE headache for the rest of the day.  Even Fioricet only knocked the pain down to a tolerable level.  I finally went to the Gamma Knife machine about 4:00!  They test fitted me and saw, because my shoulders were hitting the adjustment areas, I wouldn't fit very well.  That meant they had to attach things to the head frame which would then fit into the helmet.  That also meant they had to take me out and adjust everything manually!  I went into the machine 17 times, which, because of the manual adjustments, took almost 3 hours!  I finally went up to my room about 8:30, ate something, and went to sleep!  I woke up this morning feeling fine.  The screw points in the front are barely noticeable.  The back ones are pretty sore, though.  My head feels a bit full, I have some dizziness, and general weakness, but not bad!  Hopefully they'll only get better from here!

Here are pictures: http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

Ellen

Obita

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 07:40:09 pm »
Hi Ellen Vig:

Thanks for the pics (ouch) and I am very glad that day is behind you.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 02:44:13 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm not having as good a day today.  I spent the whole day in bed, and am still feeling very weak and out of it.  My eyes are puffed half shut too, which was expected.  I sent out an email to my babysitting co-op asking for help with the kids for tomorrow!

Thanks for all your good wishes!!!

Windsong: the different helmets have holes at different angles, so they target different areas.  If you look at my treatment plan you'll see 3 different numbers in the "coll" column.  That refers to the helmet number.  17 times in the machine was also planned, so they hit all different spots from different angles and helmets.

Mary: good luck with telling your kids and with the consult!  Yes, I do have a history of migranes.  I was so out of it for most of the day though.  It was kind of like labor.  It only feels like 10 minutes have passed but it was an hour in reality.  It didn't feel like I was sitting there for so long, and the treatment didn't feel so long either.  Because I was so nauseous, I didn't feel like eating.  After attaching the head frame, they brought out a breakfast for me.  I only remember the corn flakes, of which I ate a few, and milk, which I didn't drink.  My husband ate everythign else!  I think I asked for a glass of water later in the day, and remember going to the bathroom once.    No input, no output...  The pins go down to a dull point, so they get fastened very firmly against the shull, but don't actually penetrate it.

Cheryl: One the frame was off I felt SO much better!  I thought that toilet was interesting too.  :)

Ellen
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.

MLB57

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:45:40 pm »
HiEllen--I just got back from RI visiting my kids and told them about my AB re-growth. We cried and hugged each other and I explained all the research I've deone and that I know Dr Noren is one of the best in the world. My son will accompany me tosee Dr Noren.

I am sorry toi hear you aren't feeling so well today... I wonder if the pain med they gave you for your massive headache is causing you to still be out of it--I would think just the ativan alone would be out of your system by now (?)... And the eyelids swelling--I had read somewhere that could happen from the Novacaine (or Lidocaine) used and the headframe drilling.  Did Dr Noren tell you this might happen?? When I have the treatment I want it done on a Friday and based on what you have told me I would stay at my son's house in RI Sat and maybe Sunday or so if nec. Well, I will discuss this w/Dr Noren. What time of day was your consult?? Mine is 2:30... OH and I wonder if they gave you steroids at treatment and/or are you taking them now???

Take care and know the worst is behind you!!   Regards, Mry from MA
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

staceycc

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 08:08:37 am »
Hi Ellen,

Hope you are feeling better today.  My father is pretty sure he will be going to Dr. Noren for his treatment as well.  We met with him on Thursday and he was very nice and answered all of our questions and spent lots of time with us.  Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.  Its alot less scary if you know what to expect. :)

Stacey

Laura

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 09:29:46 am »
Welcome home Ellen! I'm so sorry you had a rough time but glad it's over!
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 06:11:08 am »
Mary,

I'm glad telling your family is now behind you!  I know you were nervous about it. 

Yes, the swelling was expected, and mostly gone now.  The nausea remains, as does the pain from the back pin points.  I took a nap yesterday and was woken up by a phone call.  I was so out of it that I thought, "Wow, my head is killing me!  Oh yeah....."  :)  My appointment was at 11, but they didn't call me in to see him until like 2:00!  So, maybe with a 2:30 appointment, you won't have to wait as long.  I got one Decadron pill right after the treatment, that was it.

Stacy, I'm glad you found someone you felt comfortable with!  I found him to be very knowledgable, personable, and meticulous.  I liked him a lot.

Laura, thanks,  I am!!

Ellen
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.

Windsong

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 05:35:51 pm »
Hi Ellen,
Thanks for the clarification lol.... silly brain of mine ;D

Glad to hear you are doing well!

Best wishes,
windsong

MLB57

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 05:36:26 am »
Good morning Ellen--Glad  to hear you are doing so much better now!! I got a call from Dr Nioren's office yesterday to reschedule my Sept 28 app't as he had 2 "emergency malignancy" cases. So I'll see him now Oct 19. That's okay as it sure puts this all into perspective when I hear of other people's more desperate situations!!  Gotta run off to work!! Talk to ya later--Take care now--Mary from MA ::)

SuzeAN

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 12:52:49 pm »
Glad to hear that's over with!  Hope you are on the way to feeling better now with no more headaches. 
Now the nasty tumor can begin its demise!

Sending good thoughts your way,
Sue (las vegas)
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05