Author Topic: Severe Pain in Hamstrings following Surgery  (Read 2026 times)

Debbiemg

Severe Pain in Hamstrings following Surgery
« on: January 19, 2015, 05:52:09 am »
My husband had retrosigmoid surgery on January 9th. It was recommended that he could benefit from a few days in rehab, as his balance was really off. (He could not walk without a walker and an assistant.)

On Day 5 Post-Op, while still in the hospital, he began to feel a dull ache in the left hamstring. On Day 6, the day he was discharged and transported to the rehab center two hours away (closer to our home), the pain was now in both hamstrings.
Day 7, at rehab, the pain worsened. Yesterday, Day 9, the pain was so bad, it prevented him from accomplishing much in PT.
Just the simple act of sitting on the edge of the bed is excruciating for him.

Today is the fourth full day in the rehab center. He is scheduled for three hours a day of therapy. (PT, OT and Speech) Sadly, he sits in this God-awful bed the remaining 21 hours.

The staff is at a loss as to what is causing this pain, and why it is getting worse. We have asked to see a doctor, but that didn't happen over the weekend. Hopefully, today will be a different story.

Has anyone else ever heard of this sort of pain following surgery? It is so sad to see my husband in such pain.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Severe Pain in Hamstrings following Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:05 am »
Hi Debbiemg .....

Without additional information, a couple of things are a bit puzzling to me .....  1) Were there other medical issues that caused his doctor to recommend inpatient rehab?  It is a bit unusual.  2) What does his doctor say about the pain in the back of his thighs?

I am finding it hard to imagine that his doctor would dismiss the seemingly excruciating pain without a workup for it .....  I think I would make some noises directly to his doctor if the staff at the rehab center is dismissing it.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Debbiemg

Re: Severe Pain in Hamstrings following Surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:07:14 am »
My husband's balance was still pretty off as we approached the day of discharge. He required a walker and an assistant at all times. I was prepared to take on this role, but the doctors felt it might be worth spending a few days in rehab so that he could return home with more independence. (Not having to rely on me every time he wanted to get up).  My husband and I both wanted to come home with at-home therapy, but thought it might be wiser to go to rehab. It was our understanding that if we went home and after a few days, I realized it was more than I could handle, he could not go to rehab at that point.

BIG mistake. They told us upon arrival that he would be there for 15-16 days. We would have never agreed to that. Also, he is in the stroke unit and therefore, treated like a stroke patient. (bed alarm, daily cognitive testing, etc).

Although we still do not have a diagnosis (today is day 5), they believe the pain is radiating from his spine. He is in such pain, therapy is pretty ineffective. Xrays and a CAT scan ruled out any fracture, etc. I have to believe it is nerve-related because of the intensity of the pain. And it has gotten progressively worse every day, sitting in a bed all day and night, except when he's not having his three hours of therapy a day. Two days ago I was ready to bring him home. Unfortunately now the pain is so bad I don't think that's an option. We are looking at transferring him today to a very reputable rehab, unfortunately two hours away. If I had more confidence in exactly what's wrong with him, I would bring him home.

I really am at a loss.