Author Topic: Kemps Echo???  (Read 2127 times)

chrisransom

Kemps Echo???
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:12 am »
Hello - Iw as recently diagnosed with a 2.1cm AN on left side - am probably a watcher and waiter but still weighing all my options.

But I had some wierd history many years ago related to my hearing and I don't know if it was a pre-cursor to AN or completely unrelated.  My ENT had no idea what I was talking about when I went to and was first diagnosed with AN.

About 20-25 years ago I went to an ENT because I had this "clicking" sound in my left ear.  They told me it was Kemps Echo.  I do not know if I am spelling this correctly but that's what I heard.  They basically said I am hearing myself hearing - that my eardrum is picking up the sound of the anvil/stirrup knocking against each other as sounds come in.  I especially notice it when it's a sharper sound - like when tapping two hard objects together.  I used to be an electronics tech and I used a lot of hand-tools that would click and rattle against each other on my work bench and I would hear the clink of the tools then immediately afterwards  click sound in my ear.  It drove me mad (well not really - but it was very annoying).  I don't think it's gone away - I'm just used to it.

Has anyone else ever heard of this and would you have any idea if it may have been realted to AN? 

Just curious and not sure where else to ask this question....

Chris
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Kemps Echo???
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:20:11 am »

Chris

The only thing that I have heard and that I have is a cl licking noise that is caused by tinnitus.  Tinnitus is not just "ringing" in your ear but it can also manifest itself in clicking, buzzing, or a humming,  and droning sound in the ear.

Good luck with you AN hope this helps.

TJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »
Chris ~

I'm not a doctor but the ENT you previously consulted was probably correct in his original diagnosis.  Here is a (re-directed) link to Wikipedia that helps explain 'Kemp's Echo' or, the technical name: 'Otoacoustic emission syndrome'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemp_echo   As you can see, this condition doesn't seem to be connected to an acoustic neuroma.  Still, it sounds annoying, at best.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chrisransom

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:47:34 pm »
Hey, Jim and thanks for looking that up..  I don;t know why it didn't occur to me to do the same.  I guess its unralted and not necessarily a bad thing,  It sure used to be annoying though.  I dn;t think it was related to the tinnitus - as it only happened when I heard a sharp sound.  Interesting.  Thanks again.
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.