Author Topic: Debating options  (Read 4686 times)

DELSF

• I was diagnosed 4y ago w/ AN. Dealing w/ it.
Debating options
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:17:36 pm »
Hi.  I was diagnosed with my AN in 2011.  I've since completely lost my hearing in my left year.  I know it's not coming back.  I now am having bouts of vertigo and contemplating my options since I know it will worsen over time.   Question:  how effective are surgery or radiation make the vertigo go away?
--Dave

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Debating options
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:28:57 am »
Hi Dave .....

Vertigo or sometimes referred to as disorientation is a fairly typical symptom of an AN.  The more recent name for acoustic neuroma is vestibular schwannoma, since these tumors actually begin growing from the outer covering of the vestibular (balance) branch of the auditory nerve.

Fortunately we have two auditory and vestibular nerves so when the tumor affected nerve is removed during surgery, the brain transfers all vestibular function to the remaining good nerve.  If the nerve is killed during radiation treatment, the same transfer happens.  There is a period of time in which the brain makes this adjustment.  For some people it takes longer than others ..... somewhat depending upon whether your brain has already begun the transfer process before treatment.

A good vestibular therapist can give you specific exercises to speed up the process.  There are also good ones on line if you look up vestibular therapy.

Hope that helps.  Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

john1455

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 02:23:07 am »
Whatever symptoms you have prior to undergoing definitive treatment, whether it be surgery or radiation, you will very likely still have the same symptoms after treatment. Such is the nature of ANs, unfortunately. That is the reason why I personally feel watch and wait is a double edge sword and not as innocuous as it seems. Yes, there are a few who have experienced elimination of their symptoms, but I think that's more the exception than the rule. In my particular case, all my pre-CK symptoms (tinnitus, disequilibrium hearing loss), remained after my radiosurgery. Your bouts of vertigo will likely remain the same after surgery or radiation and become your new normal. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, just realistic.
Diagnosed with 19x16x19mm cystic AN right side on 7/2013
MRI on 3/2014 showed AN increased to 21x20mm
right side 70% hearing loss, tinnitus, balance issues
CK at Stanford completed 3/21/2014 (3 sessions)
Dr Steven Chang and Dr Iris Gibbs

michellef08

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:00:55 pm »
Hi,
You are likely having vertigo because your AN is pressing on or has compromised your balance nerve. As the tumor presses on your balance nerve, your brain is getting mixed signals from the nerve, which may be why you are experiencing vertigo.

If you opt for surgery - an experienced surgeon will remove the tumor and also cut the balance nerve on that side. Once the balance nerve is cut on one side - your brain will compensate using only the other side. Your brain is no longer getting the mixed signals, and I believe your vertigo would decrease. I have read other posts where the sole reason people decide to have surgery is to cure their vertigo.

I actually only had benefits arise from my surgery. I was one of the very lucky ones, but we are out there! I had headaches and motion sickness pre-op and they are completely gone post-op. Yes - my mild hearing loss and tinnitus are the same as pre-op, but I no long have a tumor in my brain to cause anymore damage/symptoms.
~Michelle
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

ANGuy

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:18:08 pm »
Get accurate medical based information from legitimate sources regarding the mechanisms behind balance issues.  Without singling anyone out, because that leads to all kinds of indignation, there is some inaccurate information regarding how the deterioration of balance function works being posted in this thread.

Regardless of what option you choose, including continued WW, the balance function in you AN ear will cease to exist and your brain will compensate resulting in a reduced, but functional, balance system and an end to vertigo.

In the meantime, there are effective solutions to the sickness that occurs as your balance function deteriorates.  Ask your Dr about antihistamines like meclazine, benzodiazepines like diazepam, and Zophran.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 11:44:48 pm »
If your balance options become disabling you may want to ask about a Gentamicin injection into the eardrum.
This kills off the balance organ permanently on that side.
Surgery, they will also typically cut the balance nerve to assist in your brain adjusting.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:22:35 am »
The ANAUSA is one of the most complete and accurate sources of information on the web, but each patient should check with his/her physician (preferably one with vast experience treating ANs) for clarification regarding symptoms and potential results following treatment.

Also, see:  https://www.anausa.org/overview/symptoms
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011