Author Topic: rapid growth  (Read 3806 times)

lisav

rapid growth
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:32 pm »
Hi everyone. I had my 2nd MRI on Jan. 18th and my tumor grew .5cm since August to 2.1 cm. I am now waiting for the phone call to let me know when my surgery is scheduled.  I will be having translab at Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen. I think I have been on this forum everyday reading posts and I have learned  a lot. Now that I am closer to surgery, I am freaking out a bit just thinking that I am going to be having brain surgery. I completely trust Dr. Agazzi and know that I am good hands with him and his team. It is nice to know that there is a place to vent. I will update when I know when my surgery is scheduled.

Did anyone request valium or such for the few days before their surgery? I feel like I am going to need it.

I'm sure I will have other questions to ask in the future. Thank you in advance for everyone's support. Reading all the positive stories and outcomes definitely helps.
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm
2nd MRI on 1-18-2016 now 2.20 cm
Translab scheduled for 2-22-16
Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen.

bethtretrault

Re: rapid growth
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »
Hi lisav,
I had retro sigmoid 11/3/15. I was very anxious because I knew in June 2015 I had to have surgery (the tumor had grown). My Mom died in July after a struggle with getting her moved to my state which caused me alot of worry. My PCP recommended Paxil which I started taking in October and am now weaning off. I expect to totally stop it in the next 2 weeks. I did take valium post surgery because it surpresses your vestibular system among other things. They don't like you to stay on it because it is addictive. I have to admit I loved it (and the whole world while I was taking it-I was in a constant state of euphoria). Good luck and keep us posted.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

lisav

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:17:06 pm »
Thanks Beth. I think I would just like something to "take the edge off" right before surgery. I'm sure i will be very anxious and not getting much sleep but I guess I will be getting a lot of rest after the surgery! I hope your recovery is going well.
Diagnosed 9-14-2015
1.5x1.6x1.2 cm
2nd MRI on 1-18-2016 now 2.20 cm
Translab scheduled for 2-22-16
Tampa General with Dr. Agazzi and Dr. Allen.

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 04:33:37 pm »
"Benzos" like valium are not THAT addictive.  Yes, people who are prone to addiction need to be careful, but valium is not like opiates which are highly addictive.  Valium is good stuff as is lorazepam and a very small dose goes a very long way.  You can often take half the dose half as often and it will take the "edge" off without sending you into outer space.  Everyone is different, small doses might really get some people stoned, but for the most part, a few mg's here and there can really help you through something as daunting as brain surgery.

I think when it comes to long term problems, people need to eventually face them without the aid of drugs because long term use of these things causes other problems that can be worse than the original issue.  But for a couple of days prior to a once in a lifetime major event?  I think a small scrip for a handful of valium is not a bad idea.  Ask your Dr. what he thinks and advise him truthfully if you had any past addiction issues.  Valium is typically considered safe for continuous use for several weeks or even a few months without addiction issues.

It is also pretty hard to OD on benzos.  Sure, it's been done, but I can tell you I watched them pump 10's of mg's of Versed and other benzos into small children to arrest seizures and they were fine after sleeping it off in the hospital to monitor them for a day or so.  Diastat is an rectal dose of valium used to arrest seizures in a non-medical situation.  It's a rescue med that many people with seizure disorders carry.  For a 45# 6yo child, the dose on the applicator was set at 10mg and a typical adult dose of valium for anxiety or balance issues is half that.  A 200# man taking half the dose of a 45# kindergartner is generally a pretty safe proposition.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:42:33 pm »
Lisa's,
My Dr gave me  a script for Valium before my surgery. Not a problem. I would ask yours too. This is a stressful time and you shouldn't be needing them afterwards. You'll be fatigued enough to rest quite well without them afterwards.  ::)

Good luck ,, let us know how things are going with you.

translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26