Author Topic: is it really an acoustic neuroma  (Read 3291 times)

clm714

is it really an acoustic neuroma
« on: June 19, 2005, 04:20:40 pm »
I have been told I have what "appears" to be an acoustic neuroma--yet is also appears to have different charctaristics.  Five months ago when I started to have trouble with balance an MRI was done.  Nothing showed up on it.  About two weeks ago I awakened with total deafness in my left ear.  An MRI now shows I have a tumor in the acoustic canal--small--4 mm.  The sudden hearing loss and the appearance of a tumor in a four month spam makes me wonder.  I am a 60 year old, healthy, active male.  Any comments--I am considering all options and have appointments with a Gamma Knife Group in KC and a "tradidtional" surgeon in KC this next week.  I AM CONFUSED!!! 

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: is it really an acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:35:56 pm »
Maybe the reason that your AN didn't show up was because they didn't use contrast in your MRI or they just missed it.  Your very fortunate that yours is so small...4 mm is extremely small.  Most people just watch and wait to see what happens with that size, but sometimes when it causes complications, your forced to act as in your case.  As for radiation - vs - surgery it's a personal choice but with such a small tumor radiation might be a choice for you.  I commend you on your quick action on research and involvement with such sites as this one.  There are plenty of people here...all ages... that can offer you their personal stories and guidance.  But, the choice is ultimately yours to make in the end, do plenty of research and then press forward with your decision.  These things really can shock you when you find out about them...mine did too as well as others on this site, we'll be for you my friend.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

russ

Re: is it really an acoustic neuroma
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 08:25:14 pm »
Hi CLM 714

MRI does have an inherrant errot factor of + or - 1 - 2 mm. so you're working with small numbers there. I can see why a tumor may have been missed, OR, dismissed the 1st MRI. Esp. if the did not use contrast the 1st time. Did they inject gadolinium?
  The sudden deafness is not uncommon with small ANs in the IAC, Inner Auditory Canal.
  My feeling if it were my situation is not to jump into treatment too quickly but research your options. If you stay deaf, Gamma Knife surgery 'may' be a good choice for you.
  Now that it's well past 24 hours since you went deaf, I don't know if a steroid would help. That is often a 1st recourse for sudden deafness, SHL, Sudden Hearing Loss, a steroid.
  Best wishes. See an experienced ENT and neurosurgeon in this if you go the surgery route when you're ready. I mean someone who removes ANs at least once a week and maybe more, using the method of extraction you are told will be used. There are generally 3 methods.
  Best wishes to you. You may want to mail or fax your MRI to House Ear Institute for a frr telephone opinion. Google them to find contact info and give them a call.

Russ