Author Topic: seven weeks post op - headaches and 'static'  (Read 2904 times)

areles

seven weeks post op - headaches and 'static'
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:09:35 pm »
my son is seven weeks post op, and the two ongoing post op effects i was worried about, but hoping he wouldn't experience, appear to be plaguing him - chronic headaches (3s always, 5s with activity) - and an intermittent 'static' in the affected ear, occasionally with tinnitus.

any advice?  he's starting to become depressed.  he's scared to go back to work.  he's scared he'll never be able to work again.  i don't know what to tell him.  i've started with 'you're only seven weeks post op, you have to give it time,' but i know i might just be blowing smoke, and i'm wondering if anyone has any insight.
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

researcher

Re: seven weeks post op - headaches and 'static'
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:54 pm »
So sorry your son is dealing with these headaches.

Here is an interesting compilation of potentially useful information.

http://acusticusneurinom.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/booklet_-_headache.2012_-_final.pdf

I previously found an AN person's headache journey. I will look for it as it was so informative. It might be a very old set of posts on this forum but I am not sure.

researcher

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:02:11 pm »
Found it!

http://timscogitorium.com/tinblog/about/my-acoustic-neuroma-story

I remember reading Tim's blog about his journey to solve his headache problem. I favorited his posts along with dozens of other bits of info on ANs and their possible complications, treatments, etc. in case I had that complication.

You tell your son's story so well using excellent examples. I appreciate the time you take to do that. I hope he finds some relief. Take care.

One other article http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2005.03997.x/pdf
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:04:26 pm by researcher »

NEbluebells

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:36:56 am »
Areles, I'm so sorry your son has headaches.  Honestly, that is my number 2 concern about my upcoming surgery (scheduled for 12 May, translab with Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Slattery). I fear debilitating headaches even more than facial nerve damage because I can't imagine how painful they must be.  I've only had a few migraines in my life and the pain was just unbearable. I have small children (4 and 5) and I worry about not being able to work/care for my children if I am suddenly plagued by headaches post surgery. 

Was your son headache prone before surgery? Dr. Schwartz told me that people who are more prone to headaches before surgery usually are the ones to have them after surgery. Maybe it's part of the healing process? Or maybe it's because he is coming off meds? Or maybe because he is stressed about going back to work? Whatever it is, I'm praying for you guys - I've read your posts after I was diagnosed and all I could think was I was so glad that I was going through this myself instead of my kids.
2.2 x 1.9 x 0.9 AN diagnosed Mar 16
No sense in being pessimistic, it won't work anyway ;)
Translab at House May 16 - Couldn't have asked for better results!

UpstateNY

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:14 pm »
areles,

My understanding is that tinnitus is programmed in, so typically does not go away.  The sound or volume may change and/or one may become more used to it, so it is very possible for it to become less noticeable.

As NEbluebells stated, Dr. Schwartz also told me those with headaches prior to surgery are more likely to have them post surgery.  This was one of my main concerns, since I had spoken to a prior patient (also had translab) that had bad migraines post surgery.  I later learned that person had headaches prior to surgery as well.  Not sure if this is the case with your son.   There are also several posts on these message boards where patients have had headaches post-surgery, but found they went away after several months.  This may be the case with your son, since time has a way of healing many issues.
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0