Author Topic: 5 Weeks Post OP  (Read 2506 times)

surfagain

5 Weeks Post OP
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:44:24 am »
Hello,  I am 5 weeks post op.  I had a 4.3 tumor removed and my problems after reading some posts are relatively minor- yet real to me. The most major being being deaf in one ear, followed by imbalance, ringing in the ears, mouth dryness, vision problems and fatigue.  I dont understand why i am so tired and wonder if this is normal.  I am in excellent physical condition, so it is most likely related to the surgery.  Sleep helps, but it doesnt seem to fully restore my energy.  Is this normal? One other thing.  My thinking seems to be a lot slower than usual and the doctors say this is unrelated to a AN.  Reading is slower, reasoning is slower.  My freinds and family are delighted about my progress while many of my problems are not apparent to anyone but me. some of those closest to me expect more from me because I look and act so healthy in many ways. I am alone in this and I have little or no reference other than this site. 

caryawilson

Re: 5 Weeks Post OP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:25:04 am »
Decreased cognitive ability is normal with brain surgery, at least iny case. I was told this was due to the heavy anesthesia used during surgery. This reallly surprised me family and they specifically discussed this with the surgeon. This may take up to a year to fully return. It may be a function of the surgery length andine was 17.5 hours. It was very apparent for me for the first 12 weeks and prevemted me returning to work for six months  I still noticed more complex math was tough for up to a year after surgery, but most of the effects were over after six months

Same issue made me tired. Basically my brain seemed to shutdown. I told people it was like seeing the world through a periscope. My brain didn't process the entire environment.

This will get better.

The rest of the symptoms MAY improve. For me, the mouth dryness improved after six months, balance took six weeks,  and I never had vision issues. The rest are part of my new normal.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

surfagain

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:49:58 am »
Thanks Caryawilson,  Thats good news about the cognitive and the fatigue.  It gives me hope.  Someone close to me said I'm just complaining, so I stopped talking about it.  Makes me feel alone in this.

researcher

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:37:57 pm »
I am still tired! It's been several months since my surgery.

My symptoms have gotten better and sometimes they change. I think some folks are "luckier" and are able to resume their lives and some take a little longer. Five weeks isn't really that long. You hopefully will notice some improvement every week. As the previous poster said that it probably will be a year before you can count on your new normal. I personally hope that I keep on improving. But if this is all the improvement that I get, I will take it.