Author Topic: A few pictures of me after surgery  (Read 6997 times)

stein78

A few pictures of me after surgery
« on: June 09, 2005, 10:54:05 pm »
I had my 2.5cm AN removed on May 10th.  I just thought it might be nice to share a few pics of the healing process.

-Jason

First off, here is the bastard tumor:  >:(

Here I am fresh out of surgery:

Resting at home that Friday, surgery was on a Tuesday:

Got my stiches out:

Here is how I look now, 4 weeks later:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 12:34:19 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

wanderer

Re: A few pictures of me after surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 08:34:22 am »
looks like it healed well,    what surgery did you have?    your scar is much further out that mine so I was curious.   

jan pentecost

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:25:09 am »
I, too, am curious as to what approach they took. I just found out my tumor was larger than the 1.7cm first told but can't remember size. Had a translabryinth approach on the 3rd of May and my incision pretty much hugged the back of my ear. They shaved only about 1 inch out from the incision so very little hair loss. I had dissolving sutures and feel good with the results of my incision....
did they use body fat to fill you up...cement?? Curious
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

stein78

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 01:50:24 pm »
They used the retrosigmoid approach, but they ended up calling it a "modified translab" when it was all said and done.  I guess they had to drill more than expected in order to see the whole tumor.

They did use fat from my stomach to fill up the hole, along with bone that they drilled out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 01:57:24 pm by stein78 »
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Chicago, IL

kristin

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:26:19 pm »
you looked great for just getting outta surgery! i wanna put my pics on! this is fun! how did you get yours on here?
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

stein78

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 11:31:55 am »
you looked great for just getting outta surgery! i wanna put my pics on! this is fun! how did you get yours on here?
Thanks!  You  need to have your pictures hosted on a website in order to post them here.  Then you use the insert image button and put in the link to the pictures.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Chicago, IL

Kim

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 01:39:11 pm »
Oohhh...lookin' good!  I have long hair, and they only shaved about 1/8" down the line.  I had staples, which would have made a fabulous Halloween costume if I had had surgery 2-3 weeks later!  While I appreciated their careful saving of my hair, an obvious surgical site would have explained to all who did not know my situation why I was weaving down the grocery store aisles; as it was, I looked pretty tipsy!  Thanks for sharing!

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 10:48:40 am »
Thank you for these pics Stien. I have really been pre-occupied with what this will look like. My AN I think is close to the same size as yours so surgery should be similar.
I know it sounds really vain of me but, I have been scared to death that I would have to have my hair cut off.
Thanks again for sharing.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Kim

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 11:16:18 am »
I have 4 teenage daughters who had come up with all sorts of creative ideas of how to deal with my hair, or possible lack thereof.  Then, the surgeons took an absolutely un-noticable amount off!!  My sister-in-law and aunt had both gone through chemo and lost all of their hair, so it was not at all a factor for me; I couldn't have cared less.

pejavar

• Live Life King Size!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 09:23:56 am »
Jason

Dr anderson and Dr Lionetti are the best thing that can happen to illinois and the AN patients , I had AN surgery on 14 Dec 2004 on the right side of ear and my stiches look similar to yours ...its 5 months now and Ifeel great to go back to work after a 4 month break , Good Luck

Pej
5.5cm Acoustic Neuroma - Right side
Removed Dec 14th, 2004
Onset of Bells Palsy Dec 16th, 2004
Gold Eye weight Implant Feb 5th 2005
Chicago