Author Topic: post surgery success! Univ of Penn, Dr. Bigelow and Dr. Lee  (Read 3038 times)

cebollinger

Hello to All,

Just wanted to let everyone know - surgery for me was a great success!  Last Wednesday, June 1, I had a right retrosigmoid craniotomy to remove my acoustic neuroma and all went well  :) It's such a relief to have the surgery behind me and the healing begun!  I believe the surgery was about 8 hours, and most of the tumor was removed, except for some that was "stuck" to the facial nerve.  So far I have no facial issues, but very little hearing in the right ear.  Of course, the hope is that the hearing may come back some, then we could talk about a hearing aid, but time will tell with that. AND...... I really do have to say that for being one week out from brain surgery, I am feeling pretty awewome!

Dr. Lee is my neurosurgeon and Dr. Bigelow my ENT at Univ. of Penn.  I can't thank them enough for their great care!  Everyone at Penn was just wonderful!

Also, and again.....I just can't say enough how grateful I have been for the incredible wealth of information you provide.  Having this diagnosis and researching treatment options is beyond overwhelming, but being able to read everyone's experiences has been SO valuable. 

To anyone newly diagnosed, please hang in there and keep on reading!!

Christina
Diagnosed: 5/27/14, AN on right side
6/12/14 - 1.2cm x 4mm x 5mm
11/25/14 - 1.3cm x 6mm x 4mm
1/4/16 - 1.7 cm x 6mm x 6mm
6/1/16 - Retrosigmoid Craniotomy - success!

Lorbis

Re: post surgery success! Univ of Penn, Dr. Bigelow and Dr. Lee
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »
I've been a patient of Drs. Bigelow and Lee since 2011 when I was first diagnosed. I was in watch and wait for two years and had gamma knife surgery in July of 2013. This past January, my MRI revealed a slight growth in one of the dimensions of the tumor. Dr. Lee ordered another MRI six months later, which I just had in July. I went to his office this past week to meet and discuss the MRI, and he informed me that the tumor is now bigger than it was before the gamma knife.

Dr. Lee said that we're probably looking at surgery as inevitable, but he told me to wait six more months until my next MRI, just in case the growth stops. Hopefully it does, but it probably won't.

So, I'm preparing myself for the fact that I'll probably be having surgery this winter, so it was good to read your positive post about your surgical experience with Dr. Lee and Dr. Bigelow.  How are you feeling now? I hope you are healing well!

JLR

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:33:57 am »
Hi Christina so glad all went so well for you. I'm scheduled for surgery next month.  Have AN right side and having retrosig. I originally had cyber knife 2010 but after 6 years it started to grow and leaning on the TRIGEMINAL Nerve.  Drs. Seleskind and Stieg are doing the surgery at NY Presbyterian Cornell Weill.  I am not quite as nervous reading your post as how well your feeling.  Continue good health to you.  Joan

cebollinger

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 05:56:33 pm »
I checked back in after receiving a message from JLR, and thought I would add an update.

To Lorbis:  I am sorry to hear that your tumor has returned.  I will pray for you to have an easy surgery with a good outcome.  Here is what I wrote to JLR:

Looking back on my experience, it was pretty easy, but there are a couple of things I would definitely note.
The day of the surgery I remember nothing, of course.  That night I was in the neuro ICU and I remember nothing.  The next  morning they took me for an MRI, which was OK at first, and maybe the meds were starting to wear off, but it got uncomfortable in the MRI - and it doesn't usually bother me to be in there.  That day, the following day and the next morning were nothing but sleep, for which I am so thankful.  It is SO important to let yourself rest. Surgery for you is easy - you sleep through the whole thing!  It's a little harder on the family with the waiting, and then seeing you all swelled up afterward.

The first week at home I did a lot of napping because with the steroid, I was having a hard time sleeping at night.  As soon as I finished that, it was much better.  DO NOT push yourself to do anything.  Here is where a good support system is important.  Get back to life slowly: if you want to cook a meal, you can do that, but you might have to sit down to peel the veggies and prep the food, then rest while it's in the oven.

I have a 4 year old granddaughter, and luckily she is old enough to understand to be careful with Grandma and that I could not lift her up at first.  So she just climbed up next to me and cuddled, which was good medicine!

Every week got easier and better, I was so blessed to have no complications!  My insurance allowed a visiting nurse for a couple weeks, and visiting physical therapist too.  I was able to begin driving after about two weeks, just short trips around town.  Then I began physical therapy at a great PT/rehab nearby for balance.  It was slow progress, but very helpful.

So helpful, that I got a bit ahead of myself and two months after surgery I fell while doing yard work and broke my hand!  The hard part is that you look normal (you have your hair, because they don't shave much off) and you're feeling like you're getting back to normal with the balance, but it just takes that one time when you do a little bit too much and wham! face down on the ground!

I have to say: for me, brain surgery was better than having a cast on my hand for 4 weeks.  I learned pretty quickly (like, within minutes!) how much you depend on having BOTH hands.  Having a cast is SO limiting, and I was so mad at myself for not being more careful!

That experience is behind me - almost.....after a couple months of balance therapy, the cast came off and now I am doing hand therapy!  Hopefully only a few more weeks of that.

As far as the surgery and being 4 months out, I'm doing pretty well.  I feel like I have a bit of short term memory loss, but maybe that's due to age (53), and I still have some little wobbles when I walk, but I am feeling like I am able to catch myself better now.  I hear a lot of people say that the anesthesia has effects on you for up to a year, though I am sure the docs would disagree with that.

I went back to work after two months off, doing half days for two weeks, and that worked out pretty well.  I wanted to return after six weeks, but I think that was way too optimistic.  It was exhausting working, doing therapy and all of the other usual commitments.

So here is my advice: THINK POSITIVE, pray and accept the prayers of all those who are willing, SLEEP, REST, and NAP!! Those last three sound the same, but it can't be stressed enough: take it easy and take it slowly!  I also can't stress enough how much a positive outlook helped.  And my awesome docs :)

Chris
Diagnosed: 5/27/14, AN on right side
6/12/14 - 1.2cm x 4mm x 5mm
11/25/14 - 1.3cm x 6mm x 4mm
1/4/16 - 1.7 cm x 6mm x 6mm
6/1/16 - Retrosigmoid Craniotomy - success!