Author Topic: Tonsil Stones - Anyone Else??  (Read 3344 times)

caryawilson

Tonsil Stones - Anyone Else??
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:54:43 pm »
OK. Crazy question. As we all know, AN symptoms can vary wildly and after my surgery I have my share.. Most of them can be explained and I've learned to have a high quality of life

However, one post operative symptom is a mystery. I'm 18 months post surgery and I have frequent tonsil stones. I NEVER had this prior to my surgery.  The good news is that I have complete numbness inside my mouth so they don't hurt. I get these oatmeal size chunks in my mouth every couple weeks. Kinda gross  I guess I need my tonsils removed.

Anyone else?
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

Trinityfilled

Re: Tonsil Stones - Anyone Else??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:54:39 pm »
I have always had tonsil stones, before and after surgery. They are annoying, but that's pretty much the extent of it. You shouldn't have to have your tonsils removed though since they aren't dangerous or anything  :)
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

ewhitese

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
Yes I had tonsil stones post Gamma Knife.  They came about a month apart for about a year, I am 3 years post GK and can't remember when my last tonsil stone happened.  Not painful gave me a raspy throat trying to hack a hair ball to get rid of them but generally just a nuisance.  The definition of a tonsil stone says it's probably food debris lodged in the tonsil.  Prior to diagnosis there was a period of time that I would get tongue tide while speaking and frequently bit my tongue chewing gum.  I didn't have any problems with my facial nerve, mouth or tongue post op.  I also have a swollen lymph node in my neck below the ear AN side, coincidentally the same side the tonsil stones occurred.  I had the swollen lymph node prior to diagnosis with AN by 2 years.  My Dr's are not concerned with either, they say only worry if the lymph node gets hard, as long as it is soft and squishy it is doing it's job.  And none of the 3 are connected.  Who knows. 

caryawilson

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:13 pm »
Thank Ewhitese... Good to know I'm NOT the only one.

I agree tonsil stones are NOT a big deal... However, a major contributor to bad breath.  May sound shallow, but being a single guy, it's a factor.  Facial paralysis is hard enough on the single life.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene