Author Topic: Six Months Post Retro Surgery Status  (Read 3734 times)

surfagain

Six Months Post Retro Surgery Status
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:26:34 pm »
First of all, I would like to say I realize I am very blessed.  I had a 4.2 cm tumor removed six months ago and I find the most difficult problem to deal with is fatigue. I cant do anything about the other problems, but I feel like I should be able to overcome the fatigue. I feel like I've aged 10 years overnight and I just can't seem to shake it.  Sleep does not seem to help, but it will become worse if I undersleep.  Is this normal and does it get better? 
Thank you and God bless you all.

Kristena

Re: Six Months Post Retro Surgery Status
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:10:45 pm »
4 cm is very large, and your brain will take some time to bounce back from the trauma of surgery. It’s also possible that you are dealing with some depression while you are learning to live with with your “other changes.” Hang in there! It does get better, and there is a large community here to help you!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Sheba

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:50:15 pm »

Walking is great medicine - may help your fatigue?
I feel better any time that I take a real walk of at least a couple miles.
Diagnosed 4/2016 1.4cm AN.  Mild hearing loss and tinnitus.
Removed 7/2016 at Keck, Drs. Freidman and Giannotta, Retrosig approach.  Lost hearing in AN ear, but no other negative outcomes.  Will investigate bone anchored hearing devices.

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:26:57 am »
I have posted before that mass effect of the tumor, larger ones, can complicate recovery. Looking at my imaging pre-surgery, my brain stem and cerebellum were pushed in and my 4th ventricle was shifted in position. Post surgery, the mass effects were slow to return to normal, the brain does not just snap back into place when the pressure from the tumor is removed. I assume that the changes involved in mass effect has something to do with how we feel until the process is complete. My neurosurgeon and ENT confirmed to me that mass effect resolves over time. 
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

surfagain

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:57:47 pm »
Thank you.  That is the best and only explanation I've gotten.  I appreciate it and it gives me hope.

Gr8fulDad

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:44:32 am »
Surfagain - I had retro surgery six months ago to remove a 4.2cm tumor as well.  I had a very successful outcome, retained hearing, no facial nerve problems, no balance issues etc.  I did, however, experience fatigue.  Also, my conditioning was really terrible and I would be out of breath very quickly when I exercised.  For me, the fatigue is now all gone and my conditioning is starting to come back.  I still think I'm going to die halfway through a karate class, but I can get through a whole class now.

Good luck!!
Diagnosed March, 2016 with a 4.2 cm AN

Surgery (Retrosigmoid) May 26, 2016 by Dr. Gelareh Zadeh at Toronto Western Hospital.  Hearing and facial function in tact.  Home 4 days later.
Bed of tumour left on the 7th and 9th cranial nerve but watch and wait for now.