Author Topic: meds during/after surgery  (Read 3926 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
meds during/after surgery
« on: July 08, 2005, 06:50:00 am »
Background: I'm 33, fairly active and healthy, and was diagnosed last month with a 3-3.5cm AN on the left side.  According to the radiologist's report, it is primarily in the IAC and only slightly protruding into the CP angle.  From my research, I'm thinking this is good?  My only symptom is severe unilateral hearing loss - no problems with balance, facial weakness, etc.  I have an appt with Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear next week.

I'm assuming he will recommend surgery.  One of my complications is that my 4 month old son is exclusively breastfed and I would *dearly* like to continue breastfeeding if at all possible.  Obviously, my life takes priority, but I need to know whether there's hope to continue.  My questions are:
- What are the common medications given during/after surgery?  How long are you on them post-op? 
- How quickly will they want to do surgery?  Obviously, I will ask the Dr., but I'm curious about personal experiences, too.
- Are there risks to waiting 2 months? 6 months?  Again, I will ask the Dr but personal stories are good to hear.

Thank you!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

jan pentecost

Re: meds during/after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:33:18 am »
This is a very slow growing tumor...and if it is only slightly protruding into the CP angle, it isn't pressing up against the brainstem. You said you have unilateral hearing loss? What is causing hearing loss on the right side??
After surgery, I was on IV pain meds, antibiotics and steroids for swelling. I went home with Prednisone and pain meds....which I finsished up within 10 days.....
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

russ

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:50:37 pm »
Hi
  I do find it amazing a tumor that size would be told to you MOST is in the IAC. Now IACs vary in size and it seems about 1.7 cm is usually about their maximum length, leaving plenty of your tumor in the Cerrobellopontine Angle. Seems as long as the hearing is lost, the translabythrine approach would be used.
  Yes; Slow growing generally and if the IAC is totally filled with tumor, then you are still quite a ways from the brain stem.
  If you feel up to it, I would have the lesion monitored ( but best left to a Drs discretion!! ) with 6 month MRIs and continue to breast feed the baby, if that is or your desire, or, freeze lots of milk. One does not know what their post surg. complications will be, or, if any.
  Question then is infant care afterwards. Seems the AN will have to come out eventually but I have heard of people nurturing them and just watching them for a very long time as long as there is no brain involvement.
  Best wishes in this!
  Russ

krbonner

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 07:55:54 am »
This is a very slow growing tumor...and if it is only slightly protruding into the CP angle, it isn't pressing up against the brainstem. You said you have unilateral hearing loss? What is causing hearing loss on the right side??
After surgery, I was on IV pain meds, antibiotics and steroids for swelling. I went home with Prednisone and pain meds....which I finsished up within 10 days.....
jan

Thanks for the info.  There are breastfeeding safe medications in all those categories. 

My AN is causing severe hearing loss on just the one side (unilateral) - my left.  Interestingly enough, though, I do have a mild hearing loss on the right from an ear drum replacement I had done when I was 6 years old!  That's now my good ear.  Hard to believe.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

krbonner

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:01:26 am »
Hi
  I do find it amazing a tumor that size would be told to you MOST is in the IAC. Now IACs vary in size and it seems about 1.7 cm is usually about their maximum length, leaving plenty of your tumor in the Cerrobellopontine Angle. Seems as long as the hearing is lost, the translabythrine approach would be used.
  Yes; Slow growing generally and if the IAC is totally filled with tumor, then you are still quite a ways from the brain stem.
  If you feel up to it, I would have the lesion monitored ( but best left to a Drs discretion!! ) with 6 month MRIs and continue to breast feed the baby, if that is or your desire, or, freeze lots of milk. One does not know what their post surg. complications will be, or, if any.
  Question then is infant care afterwards. Seems the AN will have to come out eventually but I have heard of people nurturing them and just watching them for a very long time as long as there is no brain involvement.

I agree that I'd expect to find more of the AN in the CP Angle.  The quote from the radiologist's report is "There is a 3 to 3.5 cm enhancing mass in the left CP angle.  This is primarily intracanalicular but extends into the CP angle a short distance."  That is a somewhat subjective statement, though, and the radiologist was at a local hospital.  We'll see what the interpretation is by the folks at Mass Eye and Ear.

With the doc's supervision, I'd be comfortable waiting at least a few months for the surgery assuming there's no immediate risk.  Once my son is 8 or 9 months old he'll be nursing a lot less frequently and it would be easier to manage.  And I'm already lining up family help to live with us for a while to help me take care of the baby and my 3 year old (I'm a stay-at-home mom) since my husband can't stop working several months at a time.

Thank you for the feedback.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

jenifyer

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 02:59:54 pm »
Hi Katie,

I had surgery to remove my 3 cm tumor on may 5th.  I found out about this when my son was 8 weeks old and i was very upset at the thought of weaning him.  i put off surgery as long as i could but i had to stop breastfeeding him when he was 4 months old.  i was very sad, but i froze enough to be able to give it to him a few months more.  i don't see how i could have continued while i was in the hospital. i hope you find a solution and can continue to breastfeed your baby as long as you want to. 

jennifer