Author Topic: facial nerve treatment  (Read 5735 times)

basharkey

facial nerve treatment
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:07:42 pm »
I had my 3.0 cmm tumor removed a year ago.  I now have nerve trauma ( paralysis) in my face.  Has anyone had either facial retraining or acupuncture for their facial trauma?  I would like to know if any one has expereinced with either of tese treatments.

Thanks!

bluestar

Re: facial nerve treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 09:17:22 pm »
I had a 3.2cm tumour removed almost 2 years ago. I have experienced facial paralysis which has improved a lot but I still cannot smile and there has been wasting of the cheek muscles as well as dry eye because of having an incomplete blink.

I have used acupuncture on and off from the time I came out of hospital until recently and I think it helped somewhat. However, the nerve is too damaged.

I saw a reconstructive surgeon a few weeks ago and he has suggested reconstructive surgery. I also will be having a weight placed in the lid of the eye so there will be complete closure when I blink. hopefully "curing" the dry eye.

The reconstructive surgery is complicated and will involve 2 operations, one for the initial nerve graft and then a muscle graft 9 months later.So if you can avoid that I think it would be good.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your treatment.

Bluestar
I found that the acupuncture also helped with other issues such as energy, sleeping etc
bluestar

basharkey

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:21:34 pm »
Thanks for the information.

ckhegrat

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 07:20:23 pm »
Hi All!  I had my AN removed 6 years ago.  Total facial paralaysis.  I had the nerve graft and muscle sling done (2 separate operations) .  I went from 0 movement to about 60% percent or so.  And it's still improving.  Very slow process but it was worth it.  I also have gold weight in eye lid.  It helps a lot but looks yucky by late afternoon as the eye lid muscle gets tired and it looks like a bug bite on my eye lid.

Kim

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:34:50 am »
Yes I had physio. Helped with eye closure and a little with movement. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jan pentecost

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 06:58:49 pm »
I tried a temp. tear duct plug but quickly realized that my left eye was hardly producing tears....there are RX's for that but it will cause the good eye to over-produce tears.
I am going for the gold bar at the end of the summer...can't take off work until then. I was told that the bar will not cure a dry eye if there aren't tears being produced...but will certainly protect the eye by making the lid close when needed...and will help keep moisture there.
There are googles one can put on at night that trap moisture so your eye won't dry out during the night....my eye does close at night and haven't had problems waking up with a dry eye....but during the day...yowzie!!!!!! If I feel my eye getting ove-tired, irritated, I put ointment in it and wear a patch during the day.
I am praying to God my paralysis resolved in time....I get twitches in my face now.....something is trying to kick in!!!One thing is wonderful about all of this....you all know what I am talking about and can relate........sometimes I feel like no one "out there" understands!!!! ??? ??? ???
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

bluestar

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 07:18:23 pm »
I had 2 goes with the temporary eye plugs and they worked for a few days but that was all. I have since gone to a new ophamologist who put in a permanent plug. I hardly need drops. I am learning to not close my eye anymore and I don't need the lid weight at all. After 2 years!! If the eye still is dry I can get a punctum in the upper tear duct as well.

This Doctor told me he has given up using the soluble plugs because he found them useless.

I hope this helps,  good luck,

Bluestar
bluestar

russ

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 09:19:03 pm »
Hi V!
  Or, if things continue to work well with the plugs, an Opthamologist can cauterize the tear drainage holes shut permenately.
  I had a plug come out once.
  Best wishes to you!!
  Russ

Goldineye

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 10:47:50 pm »
I have had facial nerve treatment. You have to be very carefull . You dont want any electric stim to the facial nerve or you can damage it more. So my surgeons had me go for Bio feed back EMG. It is a small unit the physical therapist use. they put little pads on your face and the unit makes noises and you do exercise with them on. That is the only thing they would allow me to use. There is a klot of info that any electic stim can further damage the nerve. My facial nerve was completly severed during the operation. I am making progress very slowly. But hey Im alive!! If you need any more info ket ne jnow Good Luck. P.S  It is very hard to find therapist that use the unit search or tell them that is what you nee. Bio feed back EMG. .......Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

Angela

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 02:45:47 pm »
1/2 my face is still paralyzed after surgery, 5 months ago.  My eye needs some extra care, especially at night, but it's not too bad.

I felt some cramps in my cheek a couple months ago;  The muscles locked up several times.  But the twitching stopped as suddenly as it started and I haven't felt anything since.  Is that a bad sign?  I was told No, doesn't mean anything.  I am confused/concerned about the different opinions I read on facial stimulation!  My surgeon has repeatedly told me not to waste time and/or money on anything, my facial nerve will heal itself and "wake-up" within another 6 months. 

However, the vestibular therapist was shocked that I was not told to do any specific facial exercises while waiting.  Some fellow AN'ers write that I should be using a facial stimulator DAILY, Massage therapists think I should be regularly doing facial massages, and Accupunturists say I should be getting Accupuncture.
I'm trusting my surgeon and doing NOTHING... but I wonder nonetheless.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 07:48:36 pm »
   You are ok by not doing anything while you wait and see how much your face improves.  Facial muscles are composed different than regular muscles and take a very long time to atrophy.    You are right not to do any electric stimulation as it may interfere with neural regeneration and it also may reinforce abnormal movement patterns.         These are quotes from the AN symposium recently held in Florida by Jacki Diels,facial therapist from U of WI.       In a lot of cases she doesn't even see pts till one year post  op as then you have a better idea of what function you are going to have.       Have you heard me mention on previous posts of a very good website.
 www.bellspalsy.ws in which Jacki has some good articles about  facial paralysis.        Doing some massage won't hurt if you want.                   After I got my facial movement back,I ended up with some tightness and have made one visit to Jacki in Madison.            I'm from central Iowa.
     Good luck in your further recovery.                       Cheryl R.

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care