Author Topic: BAHA and the "One-Ear Shuffle"?  (Read 4061 times)

Nancy T

BAHA and the "One-Ear Shuffle"?
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:27:49 am »
Another question for BAHA users.

Is your BAHA good enough that it keeps you from having to do that awkward, embarrassing "One-Ear Shuffle", a.k.a. "One-Ear Do-Si-Do"?

You know what I'm talking about--you're outside walking around with someone, window-shopping or sight-seeing or whatever, and whenever you stop and start again, you have to keep dancing around to get them on your good side.

Does your BAHA make that a thing of the past??

Nancy T. (one-sided hearing loss but not from AN; waiting for insurance decision on BAHA)
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

luv2teachsped

Re: BAHA and the "One-Ear Shuffle"?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 06:50:52 pm »
Nancy-  I loved your one-ear-do-si-do!  Now I know what to call it!  Our first teachers meeting was today, another teacher has had An surgery , same ear as mine.   We looked pretty silly trying to find each others "good ear".  Thanks for making my day.  We all need a little laughter!   luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Goldineye

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:32:28 pm »
Nancy, One ear Do-Si-Do... Love it, and how true it is. It sure is a pain in the butt !! I am too scared to get the baha are you thinking of getting ti ? Let me know . thanx... Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

Nancy T

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:12:58 pm »
Hi Lori, yes, I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago and they put in the request to my insurance company, which does not pay but we are hoping they will eventually change their mind.

Luv2teach--the first time I met another "one-eared" person--she is deaf in her right ear, I in my left--we got out of the car when we reached our destination, automatically did the "do-si-do"--which resulted in both of us being where we wanted to be--and we just looked at each other and laughed!

Most of the time, people who aren't used to walking around with me look at me like I'm nuts until I explain why I keep trying to nudge them over to the right side of the sidewalk. Even my family members virtually NEVER remember to get on my good side. I used to be firm and ask my kids to do the do-si-do at least half the time, but now I've given up, I just move myself. At least I can shoulder my kids over to the right without explaining or apologizing!

Nancy
Baha Intenso, 2008

Mary

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 05:00:27 am »
With my mother deaf on the right side I find myself talking to that side.   It takes me a while to remember I'm on the wrong side.   So yes I've done the do-si-do too.

rockymtngirl

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 07:45:26 am »
Oh the do-si-do's days!!! Thank goodness for my BAHA.  ;)

jenifyer

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 04:13:42 pm »
I love it!  I do the do-si-do all the time!  I am hoping the BAHA will help with that. 

jennifer

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 11:01:57 pm »
i have the baha and i sometimes still do the do-si-do. really just in loud environments when there is a lot of extra noise. most of the time, i'm ok. ~Jennifer

Terri

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 10:15:24 pm »
I agree. I have a BAHA and most of the time it takes care of sounds coming in from my deaf side. When I'm in a high noise environment, such as walking on a sidewalk beside someone, I sometimes still have to do-si-do so my good ear is facing the person I'm with. Nothing (yet) can beat the human ear for picking up conversation in a high noise environment.
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci

Nancy T

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
Thank you all so much for the replies. It sounds like the BAHA is a significant help, although not, as Terri pointed out, as good as the human ear. Our dear ears...

Nancy
Baha Intenso, 2008

DeniseSmith

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 08:59:50 am »
Not to sound dumb, but what is BAHA?
 ;)

Terri

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 06:55:01 am »
It's a bone-anchored hearing aid. A small sound processor is attached to a titanium screw in the skull on the deaf side. The processor picks up sounds (similar to the way an ear would work) and transfers them through bone conduction to a person's hearing (or good) ear. For more information, see http://www.entific.com/aboutBaha.asp
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci