Author Topic: facial paralysis & 2nd surgery  (Read 4087 times)

Kathyaquino

facial paralysis & 2nd surgery
« on: August 11, 2005, 09:00:02 pm »
I've already had my acoustic neuroma removed once - although some of it was left in & it's grown to about 13 mm & is completely filling my auditory canal.  I was left with facial paralysis after the first surgery.  Now I guess I'm going to have to go through it again.  If anyone has had to have their AN removed again after suffering facial paralysis after the 1st. surgery, could you let me know how your face was after the second surgery.  Thanks

marie

Re: facial paralysis & 2nd surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:21:24 am »
  20 years almost to the day I had to have a second surgery--same side.
The seventh nerve had been severed the first time, then had 7/12 done.
There was absolutely no additional problem at that time.  However,four years later   I had a third surgery  ; the fifth nerve was damaged and my left cheek feels as if I have had a shot of novovaine and is wearing off.  It's been 15 years and I think I have a little more feeling now than I did,  but it's REALLY SLOW in returning. (I still have to use novocaine for dental treatment). 
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

becknell

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:50:10 pm »
Marie - what is 7/12? I've read of this mentioned in a few places and don't know much, although I understand it is some type of nerve graft (?). Can you explain? Thanks!

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 02:46:02 pm »
7-12 (or VII-XII, or Seven-Twelve) anastomosis , hypoglossalnerve jump
Referring to cranial nerves usually in conjunction with a procedure to "splice" the 7th and 12th nerves to help repair facial function to the 7th (facial) nerve. 7 -12 are done with the hope of restoring  tone  and function (ability to move face in synchronization on both sides).

Best to all
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jenifyer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 04:41:55 pm »
hi,

I just had my 2nd AN surgery 3 months ago after having the first 5 years ago.  My 2nd tumor was 3 cm.  i had facial paralysis with the first.  There was scarring around the facial nerve.  My new surgeon was so excellent that he removed that and i have a little more facial movement now than even before the surgery.  I was prepared however that going in it was a possibility that i might have to sacrifice the nerve.    Thankfully it all turned out for the best.   any questions, please feel free to email me.
jennifer

Judy M

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 04:45:17 pm »
Did they completely remove the turmor 5 years ago?

jenifyer

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 01:06:33 pm »
I thought they did, but my husband informed me that a small piece was left.  My doctor was telling me that they think these tumors have  'growth centers' and that what was left of my old tumor was possibly a growth center causing the rapid regrowth.  The tumor is now all removed.  Initially i had a good amount of hearing left and they were trying to save it  It wasn't too successful however and i had very little left after the first surgery.  Now  after the second, i don't have any left.  Doesn't bother me a bit as long as the tumor is completely gone.  i am sheduled to get a BAHA on the 25th.

jennifer

marie

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 02:24:45 pm »
Becknell

It was 37 1/2 years ago, but I think this is what they told me: 
The 7th nerve had been severed during the AN surgery in December, 1967.  In February, 1968 they took  the  nerve from the back of the left side of my tongue (12th, I assume) and microsurgically attached the end of it to the end of the 7th .  After five months I started getting movement  (twitching) in my left cheek .  After it had done all it was going to do,my face no longer droops; however, my forehead doesn't move (NO WRINKLES!).  At rest my face appears normal, but I still have the one-sided smile.
Marie
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 12:15:33 pm »
i had my first AN surgery in february and had complete facial paralysis. it was only temporary as the nerve was not cut or anything. i was told to expect some movement in about 3 months. i actually started having movement (twitching in the corner of my mouth) at about 7 weeks. my face kept improving and by june, i had about a half smile on the AN side. i had my second surgery on june 28th. after surgery, i lost all the progress i had made. i was back to total paralysis. i was told once again that this was temporary and that movement should actually return faster this time. it's now 6 weeks since surgery and i still have no movement. my doc isn't worried though. he says give it a year. ~Jennifer P.