Author Topic: Jobs for ANers ...  (Read 8153 times)

tony

Re: Jobs for ANers ...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 12:53:24 am »
You can headset phones combinations
 that have built in amps - where you can turn up the
vol - all you need then is quiet office
cost a bit more but the flexibilty/useability is worth it
best regards
tony

LizH

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 11:01:52 am »
I have no problem finding work as an experienced IT Consultant for Electronic content and document management systems but keeping the work is a different story. I have just been let go from a job that I started just a week ago. Their reason was that technically I was good ut I was not assertive enough, not what they want.
53 years old now. AN size 4cm now
waiting for surgery date
FSR May 2001 when it was 2.9 cm
Dr. Laperriere
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto. Ontario. Canada

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 01:26:23 pm »
My co-worker just said, 'they should all be filing claims with American Disability Act' (  My co-worker/friend, Jeanne baby is a real fighter & always stands up for herself,  we all need a Jeanne baby on our side).
Hope this helps you guys.  I've worked 33 years of my 50 years so far, I can't even imagine what you all are going thru;  I don't know what I'd do if I lost my job.  You guys have alot of strength to' keep on keeping on.'    Nancy
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 01:33:12 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 02:33:33 pm »
I think returning to work is a good thing - but you need to
check out the stress-level of the role before you start
Between a long lay-off, and the cognitive issues
a mini wall street may not be the right choice (for any of us) just now
Maybe best to ease back slow - and avoid the
Little  Big  Horn till you are really up to it.....
Best regards
Tony

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 03:59:07 pm »
If one more person tells me how lucky I am, I might flip out   :)

Shrnwldr

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 04:36:09 pm »
Perhaps I am missing something here, but aren't you protective by the Federal Equal Employment Act? And why can't you file a claim with the Disability something or other?  I am confused.  I work for the county government and I do believe that when I go back I will go back to a full time permanent job that I have been doing.  If not I will definitely be visiting someone! 

I have worked the best part of my adult life in aerospace and government. I did a stint in the private sector and believe me I think the private sector is callous and insensitive... their bottom line is profit.  Neverthelss I think even corporations need to follow some rules don't ya think? 

Also what about disability SSI?  Unemployment?
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 12:31:03 pm »
Shrnwldr,
   do a search on SSI, you will find many threads on the (very sore) subject. It is very difficult to get. Most people who apply for it have to go through several rejections and sometimes hire an attorny before finally getting it approved, taking many many months, even over a year. meanwhile they have no income. It is a very unfortunate problem.

NEWS FLASH:  I AM officailly back to work.  The company I have my Real Estate license with has sent me several referrals for business since New Years, thus forcing me to get back to work. I guess they decided it was time.  I have made it clear to them I will let them know when it is too much. The first few appointments I went out on, I was really nervous, not very sure of myself at all. Then I decided to just let people know of my situation, and along with my 15 years of experience, I have been winning the business. So I know am currently working with 5 new clients.  Looks like I might make a paycheck this year. yeah. I have to say, just getting back out there is helping my self esteem. I'm feeling like I really can do it again, just at a much slower pace.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 12:32:45 pm »
Congrats on getting back to work Patti!

Shrnwldr

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 01:20:04 pm »
Sorry Patti UT   I am truly ignorant of these issues.  I guess I just live in a bubble, stick my head in the sand world.  I have nevre had major surgery much less this type with unsure post-op issues to deal with.  The paperwork required and procedures/processes has overwhelmed me. 
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

maarten

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 02:44:16 pm »
Scott: i'm with you 100%. The very next person that assures me how lucky I am or how much worse things could've been, I will punch them!

And, with regards to not returning to a mini-Wall Street, I actually work on wall street and am anxious about going back to work. Can't go back to working the hours i was working before surgery, but not sure what i can or cannot do now. Time will tell.

JENMIKE

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 04:59:33 pm »
WELL, MY HUSBAND HAS THE SAME CONCERNS ABOUT HIS JOB. ANY POLICE OFFICERS OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD THIS SURGERY?? IF SO, PLEASE REPLY- HE'D LOVE TO CHAT. SEEMS THE UNKNOWN IS WHAT IS CONCERNING HIS EMPLOYER.....HE IS LOOKING AT SURGERY IN ABOUT ONE MONTH.

JENMIKE

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 06:52:54 pm »
Thanks for responding! Mike's tumor is 1.9 cm. The surgeon felt that the radiotherapy was not the best option due to the size and location. Actually, Mike had read enough on this web site as well that he was already a bit convinced it was not a good option too.  He 1st went to the dr due to the tinnitus and inability to sleep well (which he thought was mostly due to trying to sleep days)...the family dr instantly diagnosed him with the AN. That was followed by a hearing test and MRI all which confirmed. The surgeon is amazed that Mike can hear as well as he can and has the balance he does with this size and location. Mike is 38 yrs old and has been a street police officer for over 10 years. The doc seems to think it is growing more towards his brain and feels we should not wait more than a couple of months to insure preservation of the facial nerve. It's just disheartening to know he is going to come out of this deaf in one ear (if we are lucky from all that I have read!) Thanks for your support and kind words. This really is hard news to deal with especially with 2 little kids to think of- ages 6 and 2. We have not told them anyhting yet....waiting on closer to surgery date.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 08:01:19 am »
Scottie,
I have found that most people don't think of SSD as disability.  I have worked since I was fifteen and have worked all kinds of jobs as well as had a few very successful careers.  I have tried to do the things I was most successful at before my AN ,since my surgery.  I don't have the balance, the short term memory, the confidence or the ability to do those things any longer.  I am also very tired of people telling me how lucky I am.  My SSD hearing is in July, if it isn't settled before, there has been some talk of that.  I have never not earned a paycheck and worked hard.  I can't even imagine how it affects someone your age.  I wish I had the answers.
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT