Author Topic: AN - POS-SURGERY COMPLICATIONS  (Read 3857 times)

cschmitt

AN - POS-SURGERY COMPLICATIONS
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:44:52 pm »
 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ POST-SURGERY COMPLICATIONS -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear friends,
my name is Carla, I'm brazilian as my best friend Jane.
The story is about her:

My best friend Jane, had a benign tumor known as acoustic neuroma considered big in size (1.38in) that was partially removed in 2001 due the risk to loose de facial nerve function. However she lost her hearing on left ear.
The surgery was performed in Brazil, in the state of Rio Grande do Sul.

In the 6 years after the surgery the tumor grew slowly, always monitored by the doctors with MRI exams. In the last exam (June 2007) they noticed that there had been an obstruction to the passage of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the 4h ventricle swelled causing hydrocephalus.
The tumor had grown big again (1 - 1.2in) and after 8 hours of surgery, through MRI, the doctors noticed that a small remaining part of the tumor near the trigeminal nerve had not been removed.
With the consent of family members the doctors decided to perform a new surgery within 7 days to remove the remaining tumor, taking into consideration that the patient was in hospital, conscious and feeling well.

An external drain was placed to drain the fluid whose passage to the ventricle had been blocked. In the first few days after placing the drain the 400ml produced daily were being totally expelled externally.
The second surgery had occurred normally, the patient woke up in the recovery room and was conscious when suddenly, still in the recovery room, suffered 4 convulsions in a period of 3 hours resulting from a strong intracranial pressure (ICP). She fell into a coma and was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit where she almost passed away. She remained in coma for 15 days.
According to the doctors, this ICP is not normal and there is no logical explanation for this. Still in the ICU, the external drain was replaced by a Shunt valve under the suspicion of infection in the external drain because of a persistent fever.

The placement of this new valve did not work. It broke or wasn’t the right size,, we don’t know exactly what happened, but we know that the fluid leaked all over the brains and ended up in an acute hydrocephalus that almost brought the patient to her death for the 2nd time. The valve was replaced very urgently and placed on the other side of the skull where it is today.

All together, my friend has been in hospital for 60 days.

Now in February 2008 it has already been 8 months since her surgery and she still has the following consequences:
-         Lost recent memory (approximately the last 10 years);
-         Mental confusion around 90%;
-         Recognizes only people close to her, but does not connect them with the reality;
-         Demonstrates signs of dementia when speaks;
-         Doesn’t remember things seen and done after 5 minutes, the day before or the week before;
-         Speaks very little, without emotion even with the loved ones;
-         Watches TV but doesn’t understand what is watching;
-         Is unable to make a cell phone call;
-         Lack of satiety. Will take food without limit, until it is removed from her;
-         Uses the toilet but not unattended;
-         Walks but does not perceive steps;
-         Sleeps between 12 and 15 hours a day and has difficulty waking up – needs to be awakened insistently;
-         Speaks as if still going to school and to work, things that used to do in the past;
-         Speaks with certainty about things that never happened;
-         Speaks about relatives that have passed away years ago as if still alive.

We are all suffering to see Jane in such condition. The neurosurgeons here say that there’s nothing more to be done but wait. No medication has been prescribed after Jane left the hospital.

We desperately need your opinion. I visited your website and noticed that here probally I'll find other people with the same experience.  Please help us with your advice. We suspect but don’t want to believe that Jane’s lesions are permanent. We would appreciate having your opinion on the following:
-         If possible at all, how long can it take until Jane shows any improvement?
-         Can “neural plasticityâ€? work in her case?
-         Is there any medicine that could help her to regain memory?
-         Why did this happen to her, considering that it does not happen to the majority of patients with acoustic neuroma?
-         Increasing the contact and interaction with her closest friends and relatives and memory exercises can help or have no influence? Is it only a problem of cerebral lesion?
-         Why did she have convulsions after a normal 2nd surgery? Aren’t convulsions unusual in this kind of operation?
-         Is there any kind of exam like MRI (Magnetic Ressonance Image), electroencephalogram or tomography that can show the affected area of the brains?

I’ll be looking forward to your reply. Please help us.

Sincerely,

Carla Schmitt – RS – Brazil

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:01:56 pm by cschmitt »

lori67

Re: AN - POS-SURGERY COMPLICATIONS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »
Carla,

I am so sorry that you and your friend have had to go through this.  It sounds terrible.

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that the power of the brain to heal is amazing.  I am a nurse and physical therapist and have seen some people make amazing recoveries after brain injuries.  It doesn't happen in every case, but it does happen, so don't ever give up hope.

I don't know what is available to you in Brazil, but we have Occupational Therapists that can work on memory issues and also help with concentration and focus.  They can also help to assess what areas of the brain might be having the difficulties.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it sounds like your friend might have had a stroke at some point during this ordeal.  Some of the things she is experiencing sound like they could be stroke related.

I'm not sure why your friend might have had this reaction, when most people do not have such severe problems following their surgeries.  Everyone is different, of course, but this sounds like quite an extreme outcome.

I hope things get better.  I'm sure there are others on this forum that can answer some of your other questions, or at least point you in the right direction to find them.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:57 pm »
Carla~
I have no answers or explanations other than to say how sorry I am this has happened.  Your friend, her family, & you will all be in my prayers.
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:04:27 pm »
Hi, Carla:

First, allow me to extend my sympathy to your friend, Jane, and to thank you on her behalf for your attempt to find answers to very important questions regarding her future and how she ended up in this terrible situation.

Frankly, most of the questions are the kind only a physician with neurosurgery training can answer with any degree of credibility.  I hope other posters may be able to offer some explanations for you but to be honest, any direct answer will be mostly speculation, even if it came from a physician.  Jane has clearly suffered some damage to her brain and whether this is temporary or permanent is unknown at this point.  If the effects of the brain trauma are temporary, I believe it would be impossible to accurately predict how long it will take for Jane to show improvement.   I also sense that Jane's doctors were somewhat less than competent and probably contributed in some manner to her current predicament, although that is for an attorney and other doctors to decide.  I'm only offering an uneducated opinion.   One thing I can state with some degree of confidence: this kind of damage is not normal with AN surgery.   Because I'm not a doctor I cannot offer much more - but other people posting here are smarter and better informed than I am so I trust they'll be able to offer a bit more help, if not direct answers.

Carla, I'm glad you visited this website and posted your plea.  You have my deep admiration for your friendship with Jane and your attempt to find help for her in her hour of need.  I will pray that you may receive some help and that Jane can be restored.   God bless you for trying - and reaching out to us.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tony

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:51:44 am »
I go with the earlier contributions
- the number of surgeries that go this bad really are few and far between
(thank heavens)
This has happened, and the key now is getting better
 looking forward there is much that you can
In an ideal world the medical services would provide
a comprehensive rehabilitation programme
- I sense that this may not happen
But there is no reason why friends and family cannot start the process
If you look up on the internet there are extensive resources on
"brain tumour" - living with, recovering from
basically any of the brain trauma/injury/coma type material
will point you in the right direction
Progress may be slow - its a good idea to keep
record of what was done and when
(nerve recovery takes time)
It will give a good indication of improvement
I suspect we may be talking 6-18 mths
The key here is to work slowly
helping the person progressively recover
memory/skills/co-ordination
- intially just one hour per day
until its clear the brain can take more
anything from old family photos/favourite music
arts or crafts
I think what I am saying is
She is still there - inside
and given time, and attention should return
Can I wish you and your friend all the very best
Best Regards
Tony

cschmitt

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:37:32 pm »
Thanks to my firsts 4 good friends, whose answer me untill now,  and for the very nice words and hopeful.
Tony,  your suggestions will be following. Since this, I understand that issue: memory stimulation cause good influency in Jane's recovery.

We have to look foward, because whether happened, is past.   
Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:51:01 am by cschmitt »

OMG16

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:52:13 pm »
Carla I am sorry that you have to experience this.  There are many things you can do to help her along if there is not a rehab facility that you can get her into.  The rehab would of course be my first choice for her as she needs full time intensive therapy.  It is not unusual for a person with a brain injury/stroke to sleep for 12 to 15 hours a day.  My son still does this and the rehab Dr said that this is just part of it and to allow him to sleep as long as he needs.  He also has or had about everything that you describe on your post and he had a massive stroke during and after surgery.  I am of course not saying she had a stroke because I am not a Dr I'm just letting you know what we have experienced.  There are tests that can be done to find out if and where the damage is and to see if she is getting a blood supply to the affected area.  That will not bring back any tissue that has died but it does help with rewiring of the brain.  Some of these problems will always be there, but there is so much that can be done to help her work around this and to retrain her on how to supplement the weaknesses she does have.  My son is 3 years out now and is still making progress we have had to learn where his weaknesses are and to come up with therapies that are fun for him and that address the areas of concern we have.  We have become experts so to speak out of necessity.

I'm a little surprised that they did not send her home with a seizure medication.  She could possibly be having small focal seizures that are adding to the symptoms you describe.  I would get her into a neurologist and have an inpatient study done to make sure this is not the case.  Just a thought that I personally think would be of benefit to her and at least then you could rule that out.

As far as home therapy goes there are games that would be of benefit to her.  Some of them would of course be very child like at first but do help.  Start by playing some matching games for her memory and see how she progresses with this.  It may make her very tired and more confused at first, but you need to keep at it and repeat multiple times a day.  You can usually find these types of games in the pre school section of a toy store.  Don't be to concerned with the flat affect or lack of emotions that is part of this type of injury.  With the false memories that is also something we experience with my son he takes things he has heard and others opinions as his own.  As she makes improvement you can help her work on that also, but it is to soon to try to do this.

Please send me a PM when you have done some of these things.  I can then direct you on more specific home therapies to deal with different weakness that she needs to work on.  Be very patient this is going to be a long tough road and we will have to wait and see how much we can help her to regain some of her pre surgery functions.  Also be prepared that she will have a new normal and accept that she will probably never be the same as she once was.  You should be commended on your willingness to help her through this and I am more than happy to help you through it.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16

PS if you would like to talk via phone just PM me and I will give you my number.
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Raydean

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 02:56:50 pm »
Hi Carla

First of all I am very sorry that your friend  is having so many problems.  I would like to suggest that she be seen by a neurologist for an evaluation.  A neurologist will sort thru the many issues and help find the source of the problems.  It may not change things, but may be able to give you answers to your many questions and help you focus on what is treatable and what may be as is.

I'd like to share that acute hydrocephalus could be the source of many of the problems and complications.  As it was explained to me ( and I must admit that it's a gross, but easy to understand explanation) With hydrocephalus think of how a balloon looks all blown up to it's fullest point.  Then release the air. The balloon does not return to it's  before state.   Over simplified, this remains the same with hydrocephalus and the brain.  Once the fluid is lowered the brain does not always return to it's before state.  The pressure from hydrocephalus can harm areas far removed from the area of the AN. Unlike the AN, hydrocephalus can affect all of the brain.  Placement of shunts can also contribute to problems. If there are any lesions (scarring) and the location of lesions can also be a source of some of the issues 

I am not a doctor and have no medical background other then my husband had a very large AN, with acute hydrocephalus.  In reading your post I can see shared complications that he had also.

Please feel free to email me if I can be of any help.  Know that you and your  friend are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Raydean
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:04:51 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 05:26:21 pm »
Carla,
First of all I want you to know that you and your friend Jane are in my thoughts and prayers.  How sad that this has happened.  I'm with Tony on this one. 
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:56 pm »
Hi Carla:   My heart goes out to both Jane & you.

After reading her 'list' of behaviors,  it reminds me ( & I'm sorry to say this ), of some of the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.
I'm wondering how much the 'trauma' of surgeries & complications HAS affected her brain.

I'd like to know what a neurologist who specializes in the brain/memory disorders would assess/diagnose in Jane's case.

I can't imagine what you & Jane are going through.

My thoughts & prayers will be with you both,  try to stay strong Carla, this is such a heartbreaking time for you,      Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 01:21:45 am »
In one sense Nancy is correct - many other conditions will show
quite similar symptons (trauma-car-crash-coma-disease etc)
and the guidelines for care-and-recovery often hold good
for many of them
There is fortunately one real difference
- the hydro-then surgery will repair over time
My most clear-cut Hyrdo symptom
(complete) loss of taste/smell
took 12mths from OP to "complete" repair
(and that really was of its own making)
The cognitive process (repair of brain) will take as long, or longer
- but you can gently ease it along
There are now some first rate suggestions in the replies
I suggest you make a plan and sit down with the family