Author Topic: Excerise Ideas  (Read 3842 times)

mlwitte

Excerise Ideas
« on: July 27, 2005, 08:40:53 pm »
Hi All,

I am recoverying from the removal of small neuroma on 7/13 unfortuneatley I had spinal fluid complications that took another 9 days to resolve. I am home now starting to mend and am putting together some excerise programs. I am a Dad, tennis player, golfer, sailor and soccer player.

More than anything - I want to focus on my balance and endurance. I welcome anyone's direction.

All my best.

Marcus
Marcus  :-)
We all fall down. God helps us get back up.
Life is a process consider all your options and live each day.
Like Winston Churchill, "Never ever surrender"
AN 7mm disagnosed 3/16/05 left ear, Surgery - Stanford 7/13 - Dr Jackler and Dr Harsh - total hearing loss in left ear

heyyouconnie

Re: Excerise Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:20:55 am »
Walk Walk Walk. I used a walker in the beginning. Now I use a cane. But walking is the best for you to get up and start moving around. The balance issue will resolve it's self with walking too.

Kim

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:53:50 am »
Lots of walking, hiking on varied terrain, yardwork, ballet class, showshoeing, canoeing; all things I did while recovering that were very helpful.  Every new activity challenges your vestibular system differently and therefore you can feel like you're going backwards sometimes, but repeated activity wipes the balance issues away.  Get out there and have fun!

kristin

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 08:24:35 pm »
i've been running on the treadmill and tell my brain "the wall is NOT moving, the wall is NOT moving!!" :) it makes such a difference though in my balance (not telling my brain, but running).
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

mlwitte

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 08:14:22 am »
Thanks to everyone so far. I have been able to get walking 2 and 3 times a day. I am also a tennis player, golfer, soccer and sailor.

Some how I knew that walking was a good way to go but added varied excerises seems to make sense to re-train my balance. I do feel like a drunken sailor at times moving around.

Marcus  8)
Marcus  :-)
We all fall down. God helps us get back up.
Life is a process consider all your options and live each day.
Like Winston Churchill, "Never ever surrender"
AN 7mm disagnosed 3/16/05 left ear, Surgery - Stanford 7/13 - Dr Jackler and Dr Harsh - total hearing loss in left ear

rntiggergirl

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 05:23:48 pm »
Hi
Vestibular Rehab with a physical therapist is a good way to work on your balance and dizziness.  They will test you to determine your specific problems and then develop an exercise plan specific to your needs.

Cheryl