Author Topic: newbie  (Read 3011 times)

lora

« on: April 18, 2007, 11:30:56 am »
I had surgery last Thursday, but for some reason this forum would not activate me!  We found my tumor by accident (actually did a CT scan thinking I had meningitis, it was pneumonia, but found this honkin' tumor (God moves in mysterious ways)  To make a LONG story short (I have Kaiser like Bev, but was kinda misdirected to Emory) (I live in southside Atlanta) found a wonderful Kaiser neurosurgeon and ENT to do my surgery which was done at Northside Thursday (translab) in ICU until Monday and went home.  I'm just a little weak but otherwise I am feeling so good.  My MD as well as his whole staff was so available to answer my stupidest questions, but thank goodness I lurked about here and didn't have too many.  My main concern was preserving my facial nerve, which thank goodness they did very well, and I guess at 50 I heard enough on my left side anyway!!!!!  I am still trying to adapt to being deaf on one side. but it is my challenge of the week.., month..., year...Just wanted to give y'all another success story and thank you for all your help before I went in--made it less scary!
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 02:06:01 pm »
Glad to hear your surgery was successful.  You sound very positive and accepting of your new life, wonderful!  Keep moving forward and remember to watch yourself while crossing streets as not hearing on that side can pose dangers to you if you don't "look" before crossing.  Be aware your good ear may become sensitive to noise, so using an ear plug (I use the kind swimmers wear, looks like a screw) is beneficial when you are in noisy places. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 03:14:55 pm »
Hi, lora:

Welcome - and congratulations on your successful surgery. 

I had a similar experience; doctors found my large AN tumor on an MRI while looking for what turned out to be a non-existent 'sinus problem'.  Like you, I'm grateful for coming through the AN surgery with my facial nerves intact and only a few, relatively minor obstacles to overcome.  Almost 11 months later, I've long since resumed a normal schedule and do everything I did prior to my AN symptoms getting in the way. 

Like most of us, you'll eventually adjust to only hearing out of one ear (but it will always be a handicap) and your strength will return, in time.  Just allow your body to heal...don't push it too hard at first...and you'll be fine. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 04:14:31 pm »
Hi Lora,

It's always good to hear another success story! It really does help all the "newbies". Just take things nice and slow and you will be fine. If any problems should arise, we are here for you. I wish you the best on your continued recovery. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:50:53 am »
Congrats on being a postie lora.  Yeah to the facial nerve preservation!  Hope you continue to have a smooth recovery!

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:23:49 am »
Hi there, I'm a newbie too-today is my first time posting. I had a 3mm removed translabrinth style in January 2007. Next week I go for my first post-op MRI. (Pray there is no regrowth!) My advice to you is to be patient with yourself. I am a bit fiesty, and tried to walk too far too soon. I actually passed out. Embarrassing. Take naps, let everyone help you, and every morning when you wake up, say to yourself how many days post surgery you are. It's encouraging. So is everyone on this forum:-) Take care, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!