Author Topic: Questions about BAHA  (Read 7978 times)

lindaz0307

Re: Questions about BAHA
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 02:54:55 pm »
Hi, any update on whether Blue Cross pays for the surgery and the device?  Has anyone in the Connecticut area gotten the BAHA?  Any Dr. recommendations?  Thanks!

LindaZ

Nancy T

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 11:57:51 pm »
Hey Jennifer, thanks so much for sharing your experience with the BAHA! I appreciate your answers.

I saw the doctor a couple of weeks ago and he seems to think the BAHA will help me. (Again, I don't have an AN--I had a sudden unexplained hearing loss, although I can hear frequencies up to 500 Hz in the bad ear.)

I didn't have a new hearing test, as I was expecting--I brought my first audiogram from 1999 and they seemed to think, based on that, that I was a candidate for it.

So they've put the request in to Blue Cross. I didn't even think to ask how long until we should expect a reply. Not that it matters.

He didn't give me a test headband to try, said they really didn't have one. He held up the device to my skull (via some kind of little plastic cylinder, I think--I didn't get a good look at it) and asked whether I could hear better from my left side, but it was really impossible to tell since it was just a few words spoken in a small quiet room where I could hear him perfectly with my good ear anyway.

He tried three versions, including the big one that you can't wear behind your ear. It didn't occur to me to ask whether I would have to have that one! That might be a different kettle of fish. I put a call in to the audiologist to ask her.

But I've heard on all sides (so to speak!) that people like the BAHA, so I do hope it will help (if I ever get it).

The doctor said he puts in two bolts right away, so there's a spare in case one falls out. He had them fall out in two patients.

He also said if I ever didn't want it anymore, he could remove the abutment, it's pretty easy.

And that's all I know for now...

Nancy
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

rockymtngirl

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 08:16:03 am »
I too have the BAHA. It is really wonderful to be able to hear on my right side again.

To answer some of your questions:

My insurance paid for the surgery for the impant, but not the processor.

I have had no problems with catching it on anything. It does not stick out that far.

I have really short hair and am able with my hairstylist help to still hide it.

I have had some post op infection problems, but those are finally clearing up.

The only instances I have heard of anyone having thier post fall out is when they have used the processor prior to the three month waiting time after surgery. It takes that long before the implant will knit with the bone. The vibrations from the processor will cause the post to fall out if the process is used before the knitting can take place.

Remeber that any moisture can be harmful to your processor. Make sure to use the drying kit when you have subjcted your processor to moisture.

The BAHA will actually mask the ringing in your ears. I find that I don't notice it at all while wearing my processor.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:20:22 am by rockymtngirl »

Frying2Knights

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 01:11:53 pm »
Hi all
I am 14 months post AN surgery (in the UK).

Rocky - what you say about masking the tinnitus caught my eye as my tinnitus has been much worse in my deaf ear since surgery.  Can you expand a little please?  How bad is your tiniitus normally?

Can I also ask - have people been have local or general anasthetic?  Also I have severe headaches - is this likely to be a hindrance?

Best wishes to you all (and Nancy thanks for starting this topic!)
UK.  1cm AN removed by Translab approach. CSF leak.  Severe headaches.

rockymtngirl

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 04:42:17 pm »
Hi all
I am 14 months post AN surgery (in the UK).

Rocky - what you say about masking the tinnitus caught my eye as my tinnitus has been much worse in my deaf ear since surgery.  Can you expand a little please?  How bad is your tiniitus normally?

Can I also ask - have people been have local or general anasthetic?  Also I have severe headaches - is this likely to be a hindrance?

Best wishes to you all (and Nancy thanks for starting this topic!)

When I have my BAHA on the tinnitus is not heard due to your brain listening to outside sound.

I have had tinnitus for so long (even before surgery) and yes it did get somewhat worse after. I've become very adapt at just plain tuning it out, when not wearing my processor. The only time I can't tune it out is when I'm trying to listen to something that is not all that loud to start with. That's what is great about the BAHA. No more turning the volume up on anything, and no more turning my head to listen with my good ear.

I hope that helps.