Author Topic: Reality, every day life...confused!  (Read 3178 times)

barbjo

Reality, every day life...confused!
« on: August 25, 2005, 07:43:08 am »
I am in need of opinions!  I have had a hard time with working.  It seems I get very tired and overwhelmed quickly since my AN surgery in March 2002.  Not to mention the balance problem, hearing problem, etc...  Because of this it is hard for me to find and keep a good job.  I am having symptoms again, and there was "something" on my last MRI.(my other post will explain)  I am lucky as I have a super supportive husband who understands, however I need to work.  Three kids from each of our other marriages!  I have been interviewing, and it looks like I will be offered one this afternoon.  Here is the confused part......I feel I am deceiving any new employer knowing that I very well could be facing down another surgery.  Should I take the position knowing this...or wait until after Sept. 8 my next MRI?  I just don't want to turn down a great opportunity.  Does anyone else have problems with being tired and overwhelmed?  Opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Reality, every day life...confused!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 08:06:45 am »
barbjo... I can well feel for you as I'm trying to keep my job (and insurance benefits) as well.

You are not deceiving anyone as you do not have an official surgery date and are still working your current situation.  Right now, you need to do what you can to secure the job and when, down the road, you have further info regarding your condition, then you can advise your boss of the current situation.  I wouldn't jump the gun just yet until you have further answers...  again, all is just my opinion..... not familiar with your local laws regarding employment.

Keeping fingers crossed for you that the job comes through!!!!!  Please let us know if you get it... I think celebratory drinks will be deserved! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mary

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:35:19 am »
How about working from home.   I don't have AN but my mother does.  I on the other hand have had car accidents which have caused me problems with working.   I can't stand or sit for long periods of time, I can't lift heavy things and I get tired easily.    I did home day care when my children were young.   There are also many claim jobs you can do at home. (medical, ups,etc...)   If your husband carries the insurance this might be an option.

Mary

barbjo

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 06:48:59 am »
Thanks Mary! Luckly, my husband has excellent insurance, gosh knows I have heavily used it.  I was starting to look into working from home, but not sure where to start.  My youngest is in 5th grade, so I am not sure I want to go to the preschool years again.  Well, except for my granddaughter!!  Would love to figure out a claims, office etc...postion if I can find some.  Sorry to hear you are having such problems, hope each day gets easier for you.
Barb

sirialison

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:09:53 am »
I'm 10 months post-op, have been back to work full-time since May and am just realizing that was maybe a mistake (going back full-time). I am trying to work out a plan so that I might work part-time at my current position (adm. ass't. at a church), but am not sure if that will work - sometimes I just need to go lay down for 20 minutes and sometimes I want to check out completely!

I have kicked around the idea of working at home but just don't know how to go about doing it or how to go about getting a job I can do from home. Any ideas?

Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 09:04:53 am »
Some at-homes jobs to consider are: You may want to aslk your current employer if you can work 2 days of the week from home (Telecommuting)........or maybe: Resume writing, mystery shopper (for resturants, and apartment communities), web design, acounting, editing, research, or maybe take a stab at writing...without it Harry Potter would still be a thought!

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

barbjo

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 12:12:37 pm »
Thanks all! Great ideas for at home work.  GM, I loved that about Harry Potter!!!!!!!!  I had major interview today on another job, going to be high pressure, but great pay.  I feel selfish thinking I might have to turn it down because of my limitations.

sirialison: I have kicked around the idea of working at home but just don't know how to go about doing it or how to go about getting a job I can do from home. Any ideas?
       I am thinking resume writing probably is something I need to investigate.  First step for me will be comparing "others" prices, then running an ad in the paper.

Barb