Author Topic: Curious to know how many people have AN's in the ear they used the phone with?  (Read 6434 times)

BeckyB

I'm curious to know how many people have their AN in the ear that they normally used when talking on the phone.

The other thing that I was thinking about was where they usually stand when heating up something in the microwave.

I used my left ear for the phone.  When I use my microwave, I stand with it by my left side.  My AN is in my left ear.  It sounds dumb, but could either be the cause of an AN?  Just curious if others ever wondered how their AN started?

lori78

Oh honey I feel your pain!  I'm left handed and am deaf in the left and sometimes answer the phone on that side like "oh yeah, ****, wrong ear!"  Learning to write has been a real *****.... the bank obviosltydoesn'r check sigs on checks because believe me, I write like a 5 year old!  Not sure abt the microwave.  I was diagnosed w lupus 7 yrs ago and have taken the taoist attitude "it is what it is"  and I am unluck general w health issues. I wish u the very best, as we've all been thru the wringer and deserve it!  Hugs, Lori
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

matti

My AN was on the left which is the same side I used for the phone. As far as the microwave, I normally stand with the right ear closest.

There have been a few threads regarding this topic, and not sure if we ever found a correlation ???

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Rc Moser

When I had a left ear I used  the phone with left ear the side my tumor was on. I don't like standing beside microwaves I get the funny feeling in my chest so i Move back or to the side especially older ones at work, you never know what's leaking from them ???.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Ellenmn

My AN is on my Right side. When I could hear from that ear I would use either side. I always face the front when using the microwave.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
I think there is a thread in the "Archives" regarding this same thing.... great survey to do....

My AN ear is my left ear and my phone ear is my left ear.   If speaker phone is available (ie: my cellphone), I use speaker phone so no phone/voice signal is directly into my ear as it bothers it...... if I have to put a phone directly to my ear (such as my cordless phone), I have the earpiece volume set to low.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
My 'primary ear' when using the telephone was always my right ear.  Still is.

I generally face the microwave oven when using it....or walk away from it.

My AN was in my left ear.  Go figure.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Left AN - right handed so usually the phone is at my right ear....HOWEVER when I was working and answered the phone and had to take a message...well!  I'd use my left hand to hold the phone because these smaller phones you can't hold the phone to your ear with your shoulder like in the *coff* old days, and then I'd have to balance myself somehow (because I was standing at a counter) with my right arm/hand and figure out how to write out the message - usually by draping myself over the counter in some not too graceful manor. So, everyone....try that and see if you fare better than me!! HA ;)  Felt like some kind of un-coordinated contortionist.

Sue in Vancouver USA

PS  Not too near a microwave when on the phone.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

tcrnko

I used to use my left ear for the phone because I could write with my right hand.  How, I only have a right ear that works, soe I hold the phone to my right ear with my left hand and write with my right hand.  Occasionally this is a problem.  Otherwise, people that know me know that when I am on the phone, that is where my concentration is.  People that don't know this...can wait.
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
I am right handed, used the right ear for the telephone and my AN was on the right side.  I still answer the phone putting the phone to my right ear and can't understand why I can't hear anything.  I'm just always "right". 
I turn the microwave on and walk away.  Never checked to see which way....but I will when I pop popcorn again!!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Used to hold the phone to my left ear, which is where I first discovered my diminished hearing which was my only symptom (AN was on the left).  Now, post op, I'm completely deaf in the left ear and it's driving me crazy!!!  Now I have to hold the phone to my right ear with my right hand, so I can't use that hand to type on my computer, use my calculator, write, etc.  Very frustrating.

As for the microwave, I don't recall.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

Statistics, such as they are, taken from an earlier survey show no correlation between phone use and ANs.

cookiesecond

It is so frustrating for me when someonetries to talk to me while I am on the phone!!!!
BOPPIE,
I have read those reports too so I guess it is just a coincidence that my previous phone ear and AN were the same side.
I guess we will never figure out some things.
Have a great day ALL,
Lynn

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
I use my left ear for phone to leave right open for writing... AN on right

Micro wave I usually walk off
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Rick0517

This is my first posting to the Forum and your question is one that I have been dealing with since I noticed that my hearing is not what it used to be. I have an AN in my left ear and have always held the telephone in my left hand so that I could write with my right hand.I'm now adjusting to holding the phone to my right ear while crossing over to hold it against my right ear with my left hand so that I'm still able to write with my right hand. I've noticed that I do seem to tire out quicker and so I spend less time on the phone. I'm now thinking about getting one of those ear pieces that hook over your ear and have a microphone attached so that I have both hands free. I hope the quality and volume will be okay.
Thanks for your curiousity.
Rick
Rick