Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 4022 times)

Craig

Concentration
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:04:34 am »
I am starting a new thread as there was one called Concentration before. Is anyone having concentration issues and anxiety when they really should just feel normal. I am having problems with completing sentences when I talk sometimes. It is really wierd. Also, my memory seems to come and go and I forget where I put things alll of the time. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having these same issues. I did find an article on this site from a previous post that explains a lot.

http://www.backgroundfacts.com/menieres/COGDIS.htm
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Concentration
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:33:02 am »
Hi Craig:   Thanks for the info/handout.  Since I can't 'absorb' it all at once (there you go!) I printed it to read later.  But yes, I am definitely experiencing difficulty concentrating, staying attentive...  also, I've been misspelling alot, need to go back every few words & correct them.   At least I know now I'm not losing my mind, this is real.   Always good thoughts, Nancy
ps:  I just realized, I'd been feeling like my brain is empty, how I can't remember things or follow a converstaion with a group of people; I enjoy much more 'nature things', not having 'to think' - now I know why.   Well, it's off to a 1 1/2 hour meeting, wonder how much I'll retain (or NOT retain !!!).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:54:00 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Craig

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:29:12 pm »
I am glad to know that I am not crazy. The worst is when you are talking to someone and you can see the words in your brain but you can't get them out. I then have to stall and think of something else to say. I now know why I love to fish so much because it is just me and the lake with nothing to think about. I also catch myself saying some things that do not make sense. I feel like an idiot sometimes.
1.78 CM AN / Vanderbilt Medical Center Trilogy System / 4 Radiation Treatments / 24gy total

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:28:37 pm »
Did you say Fish?  8) .. I work to pay for fishing.... (after the wife  ;) )

I do find  concentration a little harder than before -- but not impossible..  and I find the short term memory as not what it should be .. so times I look at a phone number several times while dialing! .... but it is getting better...

wading a river is harder ! ... with some of the balance gone now .. I'm just a little more careful.. and have ended up swimming a few times!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Shrnwldr

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »
Hi Craig,
Don't worry you aren't alone with this.  Prior to surgery I at times had problems forming words. They would be in my mind, but I just couldn't get them to form out my mouth.  Sometimes I woudl have problems with finding the right word.

Post Op .... I still have this problem plus I have always been dsylexic and this is even more prevalent. I literally have to re-read everything prior to posting or sending off emails because there are times when even I am not sure why or what I wrote.  Handwriting is almost next to impossible. I wrote out some thank you notes and oh my gosh what a mess!!!!!!  I dread the idea of going back to my job as I work intensely on a computer (it is an AS400 program).  

And forget concentration.  I really have to focus in order to do any task and if I get way laid I completely forget about the task I was doing.

At least I am not alone with this.  Thanks Sharon
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Ellenmn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:06:07 pm »
I don't have surgery until next week but I some times have trouble with my concentration as well as my memory. I also find that when I'm typing my brain says/thinks the word but my fingers don't type it or they will often miss typing the vowels so I have to read everything 2 or 3 times to make sure it says what I want it to.

Graig and Joef I'm with you on the fishing. One of the things I asked the doctor in my visit on June 8th was about being able to take our boat out fishing. He said we'd have to wait and see. My husband I fish a lot.

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:09:41 am »
I too am having some cognitive issues post surgery.  I'm having some trouble with word finding, memory, and overload.  For example my husband and I met with a financial planner since he is retiring soon.  After about ten minutes of hearing about bonds, mutual funds, etc I was completely overwhelmed by too much information.  When this happens I just shut down.

I also find that shopping is too much overload.  There is no more just looking.  I go buy what I need and get the heck out of there.  I miss being able to just look at things for my grandchildren.  Maybe given more time (I'm 2 months post surgery) this will get better.

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:21:40 am »
The sensory overload of shopping will get better but I can't exactly remember how long it took for me.        I remember after my 1st surgery of looking at an aisle of Christmas ornamnets and couldn't take it and had to leave.      I do enjoy shopping too so was scared I was done for good but it all came back in time!                           
                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Shrnwldr

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:35:22 am »
Yeah shopping malls or even Target is a total overload.  First sign of overload is I get dizzy really bad.
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 12:48:35 am »
Sounds like you are normal to me  ;) I have learned routine when setting down car keys and phones. My son just laughs when I'm midsentence and forget what I'm saying. Especially if I'm scolding him  LOL

Catflower is does get better just give it time. I'm 18 mos out and used to be feel lucky to get milk, bread and cereal from the store before I fled. I can actually do ok if I take a list. If not I can usually remember about 2 things  LOL
there is actually a term for seeing the word and not being able to retrive it. Dystonia I think. I can see the word and watch it zoom by or i'm infamous for thinking one thing and saying another.  Like at the hospital last week I get tired of having to answer my name and dob with each department. When I hit the surgeons office and they asked my my name I wanted to say Daisy Duck and it came out daisy duke instead. Of course it was good for a laugh.  ;D

BB

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 07:28:17 pm »
I have the same problems.  Just wonder why the doctor's do not address this issue more.  They tend to act like if they don't bring it up, then you won't realize it.  Or they just don't know what to do for us.  Any one going to the convention that could ask about this huge problem that many of us suffer with? Just a thought. BB

Windsong

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 11:05:56 pm »
I think it comes down to actually making sure we speak about this?

I don't know about you, but when i walk i am concentratiing on that, when i do something else i concentrate on that, etc etc. etc etc.... so if you have been sitting and waiting to see your doc i bet you are pretty stabilized vestibularly and so i also bet you sound kind of ok cognitively??? plus they probably never did  know you before you had any of An stuff ( symptoms pre and post)  so unless you haul in a friend who says "look, he/she is having cognitive problems" I expect lots of docs will have no clue what you are talking about......

we should maybe all have some cognitive testing pre treatment and post....o' course all tests are reliable only as much as the questions therein....

all the best....
Windsong

marg

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:42 pm »
  In the 4 week period between  my AN surgery and seeing my doctor I wrote down questions.  When I went to my follow up visit with my neurologist , I took the page with 14 questions on it to ask him. I'm so glad I wrote them down - I  never would have remembered everything I wanted to ask him.  At first I felt bad for having so many things I wanted to know (everything from when/if my facial paralysis would get better to why does my jaw hurt and I can't open my mouth very far.... (my jaw muscles were cut in the middle fossa approach) ).... but I'm not sorry I had the list... and neither was my doctor.   He took my list and answered every question I had on it. 
     I think there are so many areas we deal with ( loss of hearing, facial paralysis, headaches, tinnitus, fatigue, concentration, etc.)  that it is hard to remember it all when we finally get in to see a doctor.  I actually had one  doctor say before my surgery.. "if you lose all your hearing in the AN ear it's no big deal... you'll adjust and it will be fine".... of course this was from someone who had hearing in both ears and had NO clue what it was like to be SSD. :(
        My sister has a lot of problems with concentration (and she didn't have a brain tumor) and she mixes up her words/sentences a lot.  It really worries her and she has no idea why she has this problem.....her age? the stress in her life (she has lots)? .. who knows.  Whatever the cause it is very hard to deal with.  I hope the doctors come up with some things to help this area soon.
Margaret
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:35:31 pm by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !