Author Topic: Question regarding Steroids pre-op  (Read 1930 times)

deea

Question regarding Steroids pre-op
« on: July 05, 2007, 02:23:46 am »
As some of you may remember I was having a pretty rough time of it a couple of weeks ago.  I was put back on oral steroids, 120 mg. qd for 2 weeks then taper.  I wanted to stay on the higher dose for another week so I could make it through my sisters wedding and get a chance to see family and friends who will be coming from out of state.  I am also on valium, which is helping with the diizziness and balance somewhat, however, i seem to metablize the 5mg after only 2 hours and he is not willing to up the dosage.  I have decided to to a uncomplicence pt. and stay on the higher dose steroids for another week and then taper.  I fully intend to inform the Doc. what I have done, and I still have until Aug 18 to wait for the surg.  i just could not fuction at all following to med dose pac. and my quality of life is so , so much better.  I can walk, eat, and feel human again.  I also have ms, and have done the IV steroids, so this high dose seems like childs play to me.  I know its nothing to fool around with, howver I  made my decision and I am hoping that it does no long term harm and than it is cleared out of my system in time.  I don't know how things will go when the taper is done.  Wait and see, I guess.  Has anyone stayed on the steroids for long peroids of time priior to surg.?

All in all, life is good now.  I drove across state my myself today, really, I would not drive if I didnt feel  confidient, Traffic was light, and I drove when I felt at my best.  I barely sleep anymore, maybe 2-3 hours, but as my family will atest to, I am with it, not lopey....just very talkative!..When I got about20 mim, frim my moms house, I stopped to pick up some diet verniors, and  found the sale racks at Meijers.  50-80%  Too good of a deal to pass up.  I have lost about 40 lbs, so I needed some new things, keep losing my pants!  The neighbors have requested that I go shopping and get some clothes that fit!   2 hours later I finally made it to my moms.    I had a fantastic time.

The other great news it that we bought a cottage yesterday!  Its on a lake only about 10 min. from out house, Can you believe, we actually bought something so close to home?  Its so sweet and just what I always wanted, just perfect.  My kids and their families are so close and it is turn key ready to move into when we close in 2 weeks.  What a beautiful place  to recover from the surg.  God is truely looiking out for me.  In some strange way, this AN is one of the best things what has happened in life.....I know that seems strange, but I have had a calmness that I can explain no other way that the grace of God being with me.  I am truely thankful for all the people who have reached out and helped me when I really needed it.  I am blest for sure. 

Heres hoping you all had a great 4th of July, enjoy your family and friends, and I will check back with you when my Dr. reads me the riot act!

Deea

Betsy

Re: Question regarding Steroids pre-op
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:44:12 am »
Hi Deea,

Wow, you really sound like you're feeling good!  What a difference from some of your other posts.  I'm so glad you had a nice trip.  And the cottage sounds delightful!  You are indeed blessed!

I'm no expert on steroids, so I can't comment on the wisdom of your decision.  You've done the steroid thing before, so you know what to expect.  As my Dad, who lived with MS for 33 years always said, listen to your body.

Please take care and let us know how you're doing.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

deea

Re: Question regarding Steroids pre-op
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:23:18 am »
Guess what?  I slept for 8 hours last night.....no ambien, nothing!  Actually, I fell asleep, fully dressed, glasses on, keys in my pocket and a smile on my face ( well, maybe it was a little bit of nacho cheese sauce)  I spend the day with my sisters and mom.  We had the best time laughing, talking about the good old days, and of course shopping again for the grandbabies and and stuff for this new cottage.  They are giving the berries about me and "the cottage this, the cottage that" but I am so, so happy and excited I can't stop talking about it!

My youngest sisters wedding is this afternoon.  Its a outdoor wedding at their home and its going to be beautiful.  Simple and just perfect I'm sure. They have been working non stop in their yard and its so pretty.  She has got it all together and just plans on enjoying the day with her new husband, well, no one is so new anymore, my baby sister is in her forties and he is a few years older, but you know sometimes we finally figure out what is the most important things and quit fretting the silly details.

My sister Diane, got a call frim Fl. last evening about her needle biop.  They want to follow up with another biopsy, more  detailed, when she gets home.  Please remember her in your thoughts and prayers.  She has always been there for me and I so dearly want her to feel the peace and calm that is with me .  I have the the greatest family.  My husband, is finally coming to terms with all this and is being so sweet,  We are havng to work on teaching him how to take care of himself and hopefully me to, but he is trying.  He is having knee surg.,scope,  the 3rd week if July, we'll see how we handles that,

The remodeling at home is going well and the up stairs washer and dryer should be done by the end of the week when I get home.  That will be so much better.  Its not a good thing having to go up and down the steps.

The kids are driving in this afternoon and the weekend will be family, good food, lots of talking, laughing and just plain enjoying being together. 

Thank you again for allowiing me to be part of this special group.  This has become a place I feel I can come to when things are good and also when they are not so good.  Its important to feel that either way, you can share and not be judged.  I hope someday I can offer others here some insight of what I have gained from my time with this all.

Have a great weekend!

Deea