Author Topic: Second Opinion  (Read 2470 times)

jgr01

Second Opinion
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:05:45 pm »
Hi All,
Like so many before me I'd like to say thanks for all the great informatoin on this site. I was diagnosed with a 9mm AN back at the end of April and have been gathering information to make a decision on my treatment.

I will be seeing my third Dr. tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone had some good questions, besides the ones on this site, to help me determine who is right for me. I live in the Chicago area so I have great choice of doctors and hospitals. The two doctors I have seen thus far have recomended totally different treatments. Not making the decision any easier!

I know it's late but I thought I'd give it a try.
1CM middle focca 9/27/08  Dr. Wiet- Ear Institute of Chicago

Obita

Re: Second Opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:28:59 pm »
Hi jgr01:

Nice to have you on.

Are your symptoms very bad?  Have you discussed having another MRI in 6 months and then deciding on treatment IF it grows?

Good luck tomorrow, Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Mel

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:36:38 pm »
I was diagnosed with 4mm in Nov. 2006 then Feb. 2007 8mm.

Waiting for confirmed date for Mid Fossa with Dr. Brackmann, HEI, last week of Sept.

I have not lost hearing but other symptoms become worse as time passes and I want to
try to preserve as much hearing as possible.  Some would think that radiation would be best
but for me, No.  I do not feel comfortable with radiation.

I feel comfortable with the choice that I have made for my treatment.  

When you find your choice of treatment, you will find peace.

Mel
Diagnosed November 2006
8mm Small

jgr01

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:52 pm »
I had a bought of veritgo before I was diagnosed and have profound hearing lose in my right hear, 50% word recognition and low tones, which seems to be odd for an AN, which usually affects high tones. I am leaning toward surgery and hate to wait too long because I want to preserve the remaining hearing if possible. The Dr. did say that if I waited more than 6 months to schedule surgery he would want a new Mri.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:15 pm »
You don't mention what doctors you have seen, but I wanted to make a recommendation.

I live in the Chicago area, and would highly recommend Dr. Robert Battista of the Ear Institute of Chicago.  He has offices in Hinsdale, Elmhurst, and Elk Grove Village.  I had AN surgery with him and Dr. Robert Kazan (neurosurgeon) at Hinsdale Hospital on 5/31/07.  I also plan to have BAHA surgery with Dr. Battista in early 2008 - from what I hear (no pun intended) he is the neurotologist with the most BAHA experience in the Chicago area.

Dr. Battista was the only doctor I consulted with, and I found him very knowledge, very informed, and very dedicated.  He has been doing AN surgeries for over 15 years and he took lots of time to answer all my questions (and I had LOTS of them).  He really knows his stuff.  He didn't push me into surgery; he explained my options and let me decide what was best for me.  In addition, he and his staff worked well with my insurance company; something that was truly appreciated.

Dr. Battista practices with Dr. Richard Wiet who is also very well regarded; he has also done AN surgery for quite a while.  I've never met him personally, but I hear he's one of the best also.  They do Gamma Knife procedures as well as surgery.  You can check out their practice at www.chicagoear.com

If you decide to see Dr. Battista, tell him Jan Benjamin sent you.

Good luck. 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jgr01

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 05:00:06 am »
I was referred to Dr. Wiet and had all my testing done at Chicago Ear Institute. Everyone is great there and I might not have seen another Dr. but after reading so much on line thought I should get a second opinion.

I saw Dr. Micco at Northwestern, who was great and took a lot of time reviewing my MRI with me and explaining all my options. I found it interesting that he had a Fellowship with Dr. Wiet. Dr. Micco's first choice of treatment would be GK.

Dr. Wiet has suggested surgery, middle fossa approach, to try to preserve hearing. I see Dr. Leonetti at Loyola today.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:13:51 am »
Hi jgr and welcome. Sorry you found us... but glad you did. As you can see, everyone here is very supportive and the wealth of knowledge/experience shared on this site is amazing.  My hope is that you gain much from everyone here in what they have to share.

As your AN is deemed "small", there are so many options available to you.  Regardless of your treatment choice, know that you made the best, well-informed decision you could make for you.  I was in your shame shoes (even with AN size) when I was diagnosed and began my research process. If it were not for this site, I do honestly believe I'd be in worse shape than I am today.  I am forutnate that my treatment option has worked out beautifully and am doing great... and my hope is that, after all of your research, you will be able to choose what is best for you.

We give a great shoulder, our good ears and total support during this time for you.  Again, glad to have you here. As you can see, you are certainly not alone...

Welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"