Author Topic: Cost of my AN  (Read 3739 times)

Sefra22

Cost of my AN
« on: July 12, 2007, 06:57:46 pm »
Today I went through all my insurance statements for the last year. I added up every single Dr.'s appointment, test, and procedure, which concerned the AN. I went back to Jan. '06, when I first saw my PCP about the sudden hearing loss and "plugged" feeling. I included the 2 consultations I had with the first ENT I saw who misdiagnosed me, as well as the two visits to a local neurosurgeon when I was considering surgery. I know I will still have to have more MRI's and such, but to date the bills came to just under $85,000. My insurance paid just under $65,000, and my out of pocket was $450. The bulk of the bill was for the treatment itself, including my one night hospital stay which was $68,515.  :o
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Cost of my AN
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:35:22 am »
Lisa,

I'm afraid to even begin to add up the total bills and such.... but for the money spent on your AN.... amazing.  Your out of pocket was terrific for all that was endured.....

BTW, the next brunch in Worcester is Aug 5... thread in AN Community noting it... do hope you can join us this time....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Rc Moser

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:34:24 am »
Initial cost--after I found out and getting it removed with followups---  around $170,000  was billed to insurance They agreed to pay 128,000 and the hospital wrote the rest off.  I paided out of pocket which included followup appointments about 2 to 3 grand. :) 

Real cost of an??? Years of suffering, years of missed work, health issues, and  overtime then and in the future. probably 100K  or more for me. :-\
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:34:48 am »
You sure have great insurance if you're out of pocket was only $2k.  The year of surgery our out of pocket was over $4000!!!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Jeanlea

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:49:33 am »
I'm SUPER grateful for my insurance.  Both of my hospital stays and all that was done then was covered 100%.  My only cost was 10% of a few doctor and PT visits.  I never added it all, but it was around $100,000.  If I didn't have insurance I would have been bankrupt.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Betsy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:01:34 am »
I'm with you Jean...if it wasn't for insurance I don't know what I'd do.  My max out-of-pocket per year is only $1200, more than half of which was met by the numerous expensive heart tests I went through before my doctor decided to look at my brain.

Co-pays don't count towards the out-of-pocket, but I'm using my flexible spending account to cover those.  The plan I'm in allows me to use the entire amount, even before it's deducted from my pay.  I love the fact that it's pre-tax.

Wonderful things, health insurance and flexible spending accounts.  My job isn't great, but I'm grateful that they offer me these benefits.  I wish everyone had them.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:44:25 am »
No question, dealing with an acoustic neuroma tumor is an expensive proposition.

I haven't actually sat down and added up all the bills, but I think that my medical insurance has paid around $100,000. in hospital, doctor and lab/MRI/CT scan bills.  I do know that the hospital bill was the most expensive, around $58,000., followed by the fees for the surgical team (about $32,000.) and the various tests, scans and other necessary components of dealing with the tumor that ran close to $5,000. An MRI scan is $5,500. before the insurance company 'discount' that knocks it down to about half that. I had 6 in the past 12 months.  I've paid close to $3,000. for co-pays, deductibles and a few medications. I can't complain, considering my medical insurance costs less than $2,500. per year for both me and my wife, the primary policyholder (she's on long-term, paid disability leave from her management job) who has had numerous surgical procedures, doctor visits and is on a number of medications, all related to spinal problems that are rather severe.  I hardly used our medical coverage at all until my AN symptoms started manifesting themselves in the spring of 2006. 

Unfortunately for me, I turn 65 in 2008 and will lose this coverage (Blue Cross) and have to accept Medicare coverage, which I doubt will be anywhere near as comprehensive as what I have now.  This is why I'm not a fan of 'universal' health care.  It will never be as good as private health insurance, no matter what the politicians promise.  I have no problem with making health care insurance available for those who cannot afford private insurance but I fail the see the wisdom in watering down everyone's coverage in the process by forcing every American to accept government-sponsored insurance that will , most likely, be far less inclusive than the private coverage most Americans have now, and yet, we'll probably pay more for it in the form of higher tax rates.  If other countries experiences with nationalized health care are any indication, service will erode and we'll lose many of our choices as to physicians and hospitals, which I see as an unnecessary loss many will have to endure in order to help the relative few.  I would much rather pay a small tax increase to fund medical insurance for those who cannot afford it than to just abandon our present privatized health care system and jump into a nationalized health care plan, which I find unnecessary. 

Frankly, I have never felt that health care was a 'right' the government had a duty to provide it's citizens.  Most hospitals treat emergency room patients for free if they cannot pay or are not insured and 'write off' the bills of the indigent that require hospitalization. This is nothing new.  Of course the hospital simply raises the prices it charges to insurance companies to cover the costs, and the insured pay higher insurance premiums.   I think we all realize and accept that fact.  Charities have always helped the poor with medical bills.  I know my church does.  I'm not talking about a few hundred dollars but many thousands of dollars in medical bills paid for folks who, for reasons beyond their control, such as an unexpected job loss, emergency (a fire or car accident) or simply a low income, couldn't pay their hospital/doctor bills...and that's just one source in a fairly small town.   This happens all over America but receives no publicity (neither the charity or the recipients desire any) but it exists on a fairly large scale.  Government meddling in heath care practices in the form of state and federal 'mandates' have also worked to drive up medical costs, but that is never considered by the politicians clamoring for nationalized health care for Americans.  Neither is the fact that most of the people who don't have medical insurance choose not too purchase it; those simply between jobs, illegal immigrants, and prison inmates, combined, constitute a major portion of the medically uninsured in this country.  Politicians always ignore these realities when pandering to those who mistakenly believe 'free' health care is a constitutional right.         

Sorry for the untypical rant - and I want to state - emphatically - that I don't wish to start (and refuse to engage in) - a 'political' debate.  This issue has been on my mind lately with the release of the Michael Moore propaganda film 'Sicko' that apparently trashes the U.S. medical system and praises the efficacy of nationalized health care in other countries, including the Cuban dictatorship.  I haven't seen it and don't intend to but I'm concerned that this kind of propaganda - that glorifies nationalized health care as a panacea for whatever problems our current, privately-funded U.S. health care system may exhibit - will influence U.S. citizens and the politicians to go down that road, which I believe would be a huge mistake.  End of rant.   :-[

Jim   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:23:29 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

satman

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:27:52 pm »
my wife just paid off my hospital bill.
we paid 17 bucks,the bill was 160,000.
i spenti 15 days in the hospital.
blue cross/blue shield took pretty good care of me.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:41:22 pm »
I am in a sticky situation with my AN surgical cost...

Our Fiscal year ended June 30... my surgery was July 2nd... insurance pre-approved a 2 day
stay and said they would re-evaluate it on the 4th... they still have come to no firm decision
to cover rest of stay or not... Since I was starting out with no out of pocket paid I paid the
hospital $2000 up front... this may save me ... the hospital spokesman told me that if the insurance
refuses the rest of stay they will take what they pay and the $2000 and write the rest off...
since the surgeon and anesthesiologist services were on the covered days the insurance should pay them
since my out of pocket has been met... my husband is scared the hospital will back down on this
offer that tey made

Appointments , MRIs etc have been costing my insurance about $5000 a year for past 3 years
and costing me about $1000... this is after they take off discounts they take off since all my
doctors are in network
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

tony

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 03:38:55 pm »
And we should never count the cost...
Or worry that we'll fall....
It's better to have fought and lost....
Than not have fought at all...

Let's always take whatever comes...
And never try to hide...
Face everything and anyone...
Together side by side...

As long as we have done our best....
Then no one can do more...
And life and love and happiness...
Are well worth fighting for...

Sorry guys, I think about this covers it
Best Regards
Tony

ps it didnt cost me my sanity - yet......?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:58:28 pm »
Hospital bill was $55,000, neurosurgeon was $18,250, neurotologist was $21,775, anesthesiologist was $4,600; radiologist (for biopsy) was around $1,500.  Cost of surgical procedure only.

I think MRI was probably around $5,000.  Don't know about office visits for ENT, neurosurgeon and neurotologist; I paid only a $20 encounter fee each visit.

Thankfully, I have insurance what paid, or discounted and then paid, virtually everything.  The hospital and docs were all in my network which worked in my favor.  So far the most I've paid is $400 in deductible plus various encounter fees which I got reimbursed through my flexible spending plan at work.  I don't know how people without insurance afford treatment.

I'm anxious to find out how much my insurance company will pay for my upcoming BAHA surgery.  If I get hit with the cost of the device, my flexible spending plan will reimburse me for that.  It's interesting - a lot of insurance companies won't pay for hearing aides, but my flex plan reimburses for hearing aide as well as hearing aide batteries.  Go figure!

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rc Moser

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 11:02:36 am »
Looks like the trend is the bigger the tumor the more it cost's. :o  I think recovery time is longer the longer the operation goes on also. :-\ Which drives up the cost per day in the hospital.  :-[
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.