Author Topic: Problems with the non-an ear  (Read 3766 times)

susier

Problems with the non-an ear
« on: August 01, 2007, 07:07:41 pm »
My AN was diagnosed in my right ear, but I have been hearing noises, like there is fluid in my left ear for a couple of months.  My ENT says there is no fluid in that ear and has no explanation for the sounds I'm hearing.  Lately, I have been having more problems with this ear than the one with the AN.  The noises are almost constant now and I'm having pain in that ear also.  Is this common, or does anyone have a suggestion?

tatianne

Re: Problems with the non-an ear
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:24:07 pm »
Hi susie,
count me in, Ive been having a lot of problems with my non an ear as well lately. Pressure, blocked feeling, feeling of fluid running, achyness and itchy too.
I have posted about this and there was quite a few replies, I will post the link for you if i can figure out how. I went to my neurotologist and he told me that a lot of my symptoms could be weather related, but he didnt feel it had anything to do with another AN on the good side. My symptoms lasted a couple of weeks but have really gotten a lot better of the past couple of days, how long have you been having this symptom ?? I know there are various individuals on this board who have mentioned problems with the non an ear which included noises, tinnitus and the other symptoms i mentioned earlier. For peace of mind maybe make an appt with your ENT, its always better to check things out. I know that my symptoms got a lot better as soon as my ENT told me he thought it wasnt anything much.
Let me know what happens
God Bless
Tatianne
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

tatianne

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:25:31 pm »
my thread is posted a few topics under yours, take a look...I hope you feel better soon
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

susier

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:38 pm »
Thanks.  I have an appt with another ENT tomorrow afternoon and am hoping he can check it out.  Its not so much the pain as it is the noises.... crackling, wind noise, thumping and popping.  I was having this problem before diangosis, but not to the extremes it is now.  Hopefully, its just an infection that can be fixed with antibiotics.  I read your post and responses and that helped alot... thanks.  I'm sure I will know more tomorrow... my first appt with an ENT surgeon, so I will know exactly what size my "little friend" is and what his recommendations are.  I am also trying to get in to MD Anderson.  I have sent them a CD of my MRI's and am hoping to hear from them by end of week.  Thanks so much for your help.

susier

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:37:14 pm »
Hi Tatianne,
  After my visit with the ENT, I found my AN is very small...2-3MM.  I asked him about the noises I was hearing in my other ear... and turns out I had a build up of dead skin and wax in that ear.  After cleaning it out...I have had no problems!  No more noises and NO MORE DIZZNESS!!!  It seems my syptoms were from the problem with my other ear and was lucky (I guess) that my other ENT insisted on the MRI, or I would not have known about the AN until much later.  He wants me to Wait and Watch, as due to the size and location of the tumor, it could possibly stay the same size for years (hopefully).  Thanks again for your comments.  It is so wonderful to have so many complete strangers that care so much!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:37:33 pm »
Susie

Woo Hoo with the non an ear issue. I guess you were possibly thinking the worst so not feeling good about you having an AN but at least you have solved the other ear - now, wish that fix was as easy for AN's !!

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

tatianne

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:30:56 am »
susie,
fab news on the simple answer to the non AN ear issue. Sometimes things seem like they could only be the worse possible answer, we get so stressed and worried and in the end its wasnt worth all the energy we put into worrying. When things like this happen to me I try to remind myself that next time I should remember and try not to worry about things I cant control...im getting a little better about it these days.

Your AN is very small, more fabulous news. You have a lot of options and at this point a lot of time to consider and research whats best for YOU...you have a lot of great resources right here on this forum that will be more then willing to share with you, including me.

The best news is you will be fine, this is just a bump in the road.

Keep in touch, PM me anytime
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:38:14 am »
Hi, Susie:

I was glad to read that the problems in your 'good' ear were resolved with just a cleaning.  That had to make your day!

I wish you all the best as you now 'Watch and Wait' regarding your tiny AN.  I hope it simply dies or at least, stops growing at all. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

susier

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 05:55:40 pm »
Is it possible for it to die on its own??  I may be being naive, but I haven't heard this before.

tatianne

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:33:08 pm »
it could happen, but i think its quite rare...but then again so is getting a AN in the first place......
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm

susier

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:41:34 pm »
Thanks, I guess it never hurts to think positively though.  I'm going to bring that question up at my next appointment.