Author Topic: Just heard today  (Read 6493 times)

Rebecca - arkofhope

Re: Just heard today
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 04:08:33 pm »
Yeah, I started having the scans back in the dark ages when they were called NMR's.  I've never had a closed one where I can hear music, but maybe they'lve come a long way.  I've had a couple dozen or so, and I'm still not comfortable with the claustrophobic feeling.

My husband loves the idea of a No Pain procedure. I, on the other hand, would rather get a shot than have an MRI.
Peace and smiles,
Rebecca

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 04:43:55 pm »
I recently had my 1 year MRI - the darn machine was so loud I couldn't hear the music at all in my 1 ear - the technician asked if I wanted him to turn the music up - 'heck no!', everything was so loud already, I was sorry I didn't have an ear plug in !!!    This was way different from my experience pre-surgery.   I wore an eye patch over my paralyzed eye side -  I keep my eyes closed the entire time so I don't get clostraphobic.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Rebecca - arkofhope

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 04:51:35 pm »
Nancy,

Yeah, I always wear something to cover my eyes so I don't have to fight to keep them closed.  And I picture this tiny island with white sand, a palm tree or two, surrounded by beautiful light blue ocean. 
I don't know how I survived my first one over 20 years ago. They said it was tube like, that I could see out towards my feet, would hear some noise, and listen to some music with ear phones. HA!  :D 
Peace and smiles,
Rebecca

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 05:02:01 pm »
Hey Rebecca - Ain't visualization grand?  It got me through some really bad post op headache days.  I'm with you girlfriend !
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jackie

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 05:56:57 pm »
Hello Rebecca,

After reading all of your concerns and the forum experts messages, I'd like to add my two cents, and hope it helps! I, like you, am very Claustrophobic, but there are meds. to take to calm you down before the MRI. I have had two MRI's so far, the first one scared the........ out of me because the meds worked AFTER the MRI not BEFORE! I had to fight to keep my eyes closed and really had to talk myself into staying calm that I could get through this! The second MRI that I had in July was a piece of cake as I took the meds sooner than prescribed, they actually calmed me enough that I had a much more peaceful feeling and got through it fine! Many of my forum friends don't have a problem with Claustrophobia, so it's hard for them to understand those of us that do! So check into getting some help with the meds! As I write to you I am thinking about my next MRI which is scheduled for the 30th of September UGH!!

Wishing you the best always and let us know how it goes!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 06:38:15 pm »
Damn good advice, Capt Deb.  The MRI I had - my first one - was okay until I opened my eyes during the procedure and started to get really nervous.  I quickly closed my eyes and thought "good thoughts" (beautiful beaches in Hawaii, etc) and I did just fine.

As many others have pointed out, visualization helps if you can do it.  If not, I know plenty of people who took calming meds to get them through.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Windsong

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 07:52:32 pm »
I like the mri's that have a mirror... then you can look at the techies lol... and if they don't have the mirror, a cloth over your eyes, and visualizing oh um well um i dunno a scene that is calming... waves and a beach and a sea? a meadow with tall wild flowers swaying in the breeze? During one of my first mri's I pretended the clunks and clanks of the mri machine were native indians making magic on their drums... thinking this was neat as I "heard" the 'leit motif' or the beat as it were underneath the noise/racket. Whatever works lol.....
take care,
windsong

Lisa Peele

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 08:25:54 pm »
I didn't realize that I had some major sinus issues before my large AN was diagnosed...I felt like I couldn't breathe during the MRI (no wonder).  I don't have the sinus pressure since the tumor was removed, but I've still taken a decongestant before my post-op MRIs and that seems to help...even if it's only a mental thing. 

I also made the mistake of not bringing my own music the first time and selected from their list.  I liked most of the songs on the CD I chose (James Taylor's Greatest Hits--nice and mellow for the most part), but I had forgotten there were a few songs on that CD that I don't really care for.  One of them is about 7 minutes long, and that was excruciating because I felt completely trapped (with strict directions not to sneeze, cough, talk or move in any way).  I'm not super claustrophobic, but I opened my eyes briefly (big mistake) and nearly lost it.  Now, I close my eyes as soon as I lay down and before they put on the head frame.   I don't open them until I'm wheeled back out of the machine after the test is over (like looking the other way when you get a shot). 

I also make my own CD of music I LOVE and ask them to play that during my scans.  I have them turn up the volume pretty high to start since the MRI machine is so dang loud.   

As others have noted, visualization is key!  I tried to picture myself on a beach, or dancing to the strange rhythm of the MRI machine...and that worked for a little while, but the test is long, and I could not keep it up.  If I could offer one tip for surviving scans, it's this:  don't allow your mind to wander...keep your thoughts occupied with thoughts of a serene location or activity, or with a pre-determined mundane task...something you do often and know well.  Mine is shopping Walgreens.  I picture myself moving through the store aisle by aisle.  I know the place like the back of my hand, so this is second nature.  I can focus on things I've seen many times, visualize product layout and prices.  I "buy" things for each person in my family.  If I need to burn lots of time, I'll shop for school supplies :)
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 08:40:37 pm »
I have had many MRI's and I ask them for a valium before because I'm claustophobic.  They also put some headphone with music of my choice.  Even though it's been my 7th MRI, I still need that valium..... :'(

Sue/NH
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Rebecca - arkofhope

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 08:55:18 pm »
Sue,
This will be about my 25th closed MRI -- I'll be taking valium for the first time --- all the others, I've relied on an eye mask and my ability to focus on the one image of the island surrounded by ocean.  I won't ever "get used" to them.
Peace and smiles,
Rebecca