Author Topic: How quickly did you "wake up"?  (Read 7936 times)

jan pentecost

Re: How quickly did you "wake up"?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 12:34:50 pm »
I had my surgery on May 3rd. The last thing I remember was saying night-night to Jerry and telling the doc to be on his best. The next thing I remember is opening my eyes and seeing the clock in the ICU. I left for surgery at 11:45 am......being told I would be in surgery at least 4.5 hours. When I looked at the clock, it read 4:45. I panicked cuz that meant I was under for 17 hours. In fact, my surgery was over in 3.5 hours and it was 4:45pm the same day. I was relieved. My first thoughts after waking and being told the correct time was relief....that it all must have gone better than okay.
After waking, I have total recall. Didn't go in and out...and was told I was talking in recovery...no recall of that.
I realized right away I had left-sided facial paralysis....and was bummed. Didn't understand the ramifications of an eye that wouldn't close...until several hours later.
The staff in ICU were great...and it helped me and them immensely that I had studied this indepth before having the surgery...before actually going to the doctors.
If I can suggest anything to the newbies...read, read, read about this...ask, ask, ask questions...and be opened-minded. We all come out of this differently....no two surgeries are the same.....
But don't be afraid to ask questions....and question the answers you get if you feel the need to.

1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

kristin

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 01:12:12 pm »
I have no idea what the time was when I woke up, or how long my surgery was. I should ask my parents I guess.  I remember being very cozy in all the blankets that I was under. My mom and dad were there and I made my mom feel bad because I told her she didn't have to wait around all evening and only see me for 10 minutes every hour. She thought it was because I didn't want to see her, but that's not what I meant. 

The nurses in ICU were great. I didn't like it though when she would make me roll from my back to my side..I'm sure you can all recall how that felt! I thought I was going to fly off the bed!

Kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

okiesandy

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 10:08:46 am »
Are any of these responses, except Kristins from surgery at House?
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Mary 117

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 04:14:48 pm »
My response was a House surgery.(mary 117). I was just glad to be awake again. And as I said before, the nurses were great.
Mary
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Desilu

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 04:57:46 pm »
I woke up about an hour after surgery. I was in ICU. I remember seeing my sister and son standing at the end of the bed. I looked at them and said God is Good! Then I complained about my nose itching. They stayed for a little while and then I fell asleep. The nurses in ICU were great! I never once had to press the nurses button. The doctors were great also!  Ann

Surgery at House Ear Clinic
July 26, 2005
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger
5mmx8mm left AN
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

DeniseSmith

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 07:22:00 am »
I had my surgery 5/9/05. My surgery was 10 hrs long, not sure when I woke up in ICU, but when I did my mouth was really dry and the room was tilted. I felt like I was going to fall out of bed, when I looked to the right instead of looking at the wall I was looking directly at the floor.  I kept hanging onto the rails afraid I was going to fall. When my boyfriend and son came in to see me I asked him to lick my lips, because the nurse would not give me anything. Of course, he did not.  LOL :) :)

sdinapoli

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 07:58:05 am »
Icechips were like gold to me since that was all they offered. I guess they were for everyone alse here too.I remember pleading with the nurse for just one glass of water. I also remember throwing up when I first stood up but felt so much better afterwards. By day two all I wanted to do was test myself and when the PT suggested walking up and down the staircases with thier help I was very motivated and excited. They were astonished at how well I did so shortly after surgery. Today balance is not a problem.