Author Topic: Understand ..I am not ungrateful but...  (Read 2363 times)

jan pentecost

Understand ..I am not ungrateful but...
« on: September 10, 2005, 12:08:56 pm »
....I started getting some movement back into my face a bit over two weeks ago. The left corner of my lip started to tunr up and I could make myself smile on the left side...if just a bit. NOW........my good side...my right side looks like the affected side.
My affected side...the left side of my face is now in a hyper mode....can't wipe the smile off my face if I tried. It is to the point that I am getting a bit of cramping in my left cheek from always being contracted. I know this is probably all the process of recovery.
 God knows I prayed to Him for something...some movement. Well, sometimes we get what we pray for and then some.
At 53, the left side is taut and firm from the nerve(s) being hyper. No sagging...which is good but like I said...my GOOD side looks like I have some paralysis. At rest, the right side droops a bit compared to the left.
Arggggggggggggggg!!! I am able to move my left eye more on command but no consistent blinking. Still dry...and puffy but I am 4 months post-op and grateful for voluntary movement!!!
ANyone experience the same??
Thanks
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

matti

Re: Understand ..I am not ungrateful but...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 01:30:06 pm »
Hi Jan - Yes, I experienced the cramping in my cheek and to this day, 7 years later, my affected side will cramp from time to time and does get tired quite often. More noticable when I have been talking quite a bit or been outdoors in the sun for a time. In fact today my affected side does not seem to have alot of strength, because yesterday I spent alot of time on the phone.

What I have noticed over the past couple of years is the fact that my affected side has alot less wrinkles than my good side. My surgeon did tell me prior to surgery that this would happen. I guess I could just tell everyone that I had a face lift, but only had enough money to do one side. LOL!

Again, I experienced the same sort of thiings are you right now.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

sonshine

Re: Understand ..I am not ungrateful but...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:35:39 pm »
I thought I was the only one with this problem with cramping in their face, I have this problem also and thought it was just me.  Sometimes it is very painful!  Especially if I am smiling a lot or singing in church.  I feel like I have to avoid some social situations because I am very afraid of having these attacks with my face,( as I call it ) where it kind of like freezes up on me while talking with someone and the next thing you know I have to grab my face.  I never have been sure what causes this but I have had this same thing after two surgeries and thought it was scar tissue giving me problems.  I feel this is something that I will always have to deal with for the rest of my life, it seems so unfair!  I would like to know if there are others that have this?

Sonshine