Author Topic: My Acoustic Neuroma Story  (Read 4314 times)

Desilu

My Acoustic Neuroma Story
« on: September 16, 2005, 07:14:10 pm »
Sometime before 1999, I started to experience an unusal loud ringing in my left ear that would last for a week or so and then go away.  A year or more of visits with my family doctor with no concrete diagnoses, he finally decided to send me to an ENT (ear nose & throat) doctor.  A simple MRI, diagnosed my problem, Acoustic Neuroma!  The doctor said "We don't do those here in Indiana, you will have to go to Chicago".

He referred me to Dr. Wiet of The Chicago Otology Group.  Dr. Wiet explained all of my options and answered all of my questions.  Because of the size of my tumor (3mm x 4mm), I decided to go on the "wait and watch" program.  Every year I went for a MRI, with minimal, if any growth.  But late 2004, my MRI revealed my tumor was 5mm x 8mm.  Dr. Wiet suggested that within the next year, I should make some sort of decision, since the tumor was growing.  Decided it was time to get serious and do my homework.

Searching the Internet for information was a big start along with Dr. Wiets referral list.  This was a wealth of information calling almost everyone on his list while asking every question possible.  Through phone conversations, I was invited to The ANA Western Chapter group (Chicago area) meeting in March 2005.  It was one of the best experiences of my life.  There was a room full of people with the same problem I had.  Some people were on the same "wait and watch", and others post surgery.  We all shared our stories, learning about different procedures, what to expect and different surgeons.  It was through this meeting that I learned about the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles.

It was now April and I sent my MRI's to Dr. Brackmann from HEC for his opinion.  He called me and gave me the same opinion as Dr. Wiet, it was time to do something soon.  Having all of my hearing in that ear, it was a very difficult decision to make.  Praying about it a lot, asking God to lead me in the right direction, knowing I had one chance to preserve my hearing and chose the right doctor.  After much thought and prayer, in June I decided to go to House Ear Clinic.

Surgery was scheduled for July 26, 2005.  On monday, July 25th, I had all of my pre-surgery tests.  Met with Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty.  They explained I would have the Middle Fossa approach because by tumor was small.

On Tuesday the 26th surgery started about 11 am and was over by 3 pm.  Everything went well, facial nerve intact and hearing was preserved.  I was in ICU until Wed afternoon then to a regular room that evening and released Friday afternoon.  Saturday I went out shopping at the Grove Mall and world famous Farmers Market.  Needed help walking but felt good enough to be up and about.

Having my sister and son with me was the greatest gift.  A support system is a must!  We stayed at Seton Hall, a very nice place, which is connected to the hospital.  I saw the Dr's again on Thursday, August 4th and had my stitches removed.  Had all of my meds squared away and got the OK to fly home on Friday, August 5th.  My entire experience at House Ear Clinic has been awesome!  Everyone made me feel at home, from the admitting clerk, the nurses and especially the doctors.

Had some minor issues with facial paralysis, balance, fullness in my surgery ear and dry eye when I first came home.  I am now 7 weeks post surgery.  I have no facial paralysis.  The fullness in my ear has diminished.  My dry eye is almost nonexistent.  The only problem with balance I have is if I turn real fast.  It kind of throws me off balance a little.

Everyone is different and each AN experience is unique for each person, no two are the same.  My advice to anyone contemplating surgery is to do your homework (research), gathering as much information as you can.  Talk to as many people as you can that have had the surgery.  Knowing exactly what to expect helps with your decisions and fears.  Find a doctor or doctors that you are comfortable with and last but not least, pray about it!

I will be more than happy to share any other information or questions that you might have.

Sincerely, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

jrhafer

Re: My Acoustic Neuroma Story
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 02:43:25 pm »
Wow!  Ann, your story is very similar to mine.  I had been experiencing tinnitus (ringing in the ears) in my right ear for years.  Went to an ENT and he found that I had Otosclerosis in both ears and that was the cause of the tinnitus.  I had a "gut feeling" that there was something more so I went to my Primary Care doctor who said that we must rule out everything.  So he ordered an MRI. This was January 2002.

My MRI showed I had a small 3mm AN in my right ear.  After doing MUCH research and findng a new ENT who was great, he said I had 3 options, - Watch and wait, surgery, or radiation.  My hearing was normal, and I had no other symptoms except tinnitus.

I decided to watch and wait and did so until this summer when the last MRI showed the tumor grew to 5mm.  With still no hearing loss or any other issues, I decided hearing preservation was a must for me and after reading tons of information, I opted for Cyberknife.  It was 3 days outpatient and I had it done here locally since we had a Cyberknife Center at our hospital.  So far it has been 2 moths post treatment, and with the exception of some more tinnitus, I never had any post treatment issues.  So time will tell how things go.

I did not go with surgery after reading about of the chances of total hearing loss from it.  I did consider Mid-fossa surgery but was told I had only a 40% chance of hearing preservation.  I am so happy that Mid-fossa worked for you.  You are one of the few "success" stories on hearing preservation I have heard with Mid-fossa.

One question - did the surgery improve your tinnitus (ringing in the ears), make it worse, or did it stay the same?

John

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 06:00:24 pm »
Hi John, we did have similar stories! To answer your question, I only had tinnitus where my ear would ring for 1 week straight and then stop all together. This would happen a few times a year. Now, right after sugery my tinnitus was real bad and each week it has gotten less and less, right now I can barely tell it is there. My speech discrimination before surgery was 86% and after surgery it was 94% I was totally amazed. I'm glad that your choice treatment has worked for you. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:19:28 pm »
e the tinnitus.....

mine began about 4 -5 yrs ago and has gone through many decibel levels, tones, duration, sounds....

i noticed in this thread that sinus prob was mentioned.

I  developed sinus probs defying doc explanation when I had never had any probs before only a minor ear prob now and then.

lived with the tinnitus, lived with the sinus probs and typical treatment for it when they weren't scratching their heads, then found out I had an acoustic neuroma.

what the heck, huh?

jrhafer

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:16:59 am »
Ann, thanks for the reply.  Only thing is, I am "not out of the woods" by any means.  My tinnitus has really become a daily struggle.  It changes constantly and goes from being totally occupying my life, to almost little.  It changes in minutes and for the life of me, I can not understand what triggers it to change so much and so fast. 

I hear a total of 4 different sounds of tinnitus.  I middle tone "C" that I have had for 17 years.  This sound never changes in volume  and it does not bother me much at all.  I also get a buzzing or humming rumble sound that comes and goes.  Sounds like a bass speaker in another room.  Both of these sounds were pre-Cyberknife treatment.

Now, after Cyberknife, I have two more.  One sounds lilke computer fans to a mainframe.  Not too bad, and I can mask these easily.  But the last is the sound what an old TV set's picture tube emits, - a very high frequency squeal, not a ringing sound, that makes me very uneasy.  This sound can change from minute to minute from loud to not too loud, and for no reason.  If this is what Cyberknife does, I am dissapointed.  True, I should be greatful I have no hearing issues yet, but I was not prepard for this additional tinnitus.

John

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:46:29 pm »
HI John, That's a lot of noise going on there isn't it? Have you called your doctor about this? What about the Cyberknife Center at your hospital? I'm sorry I can't help you about this, but maybe someone will read this post and be able to help you out. Good Luck, keep in touch, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa