Author Topic: surgery at Standford  (Read 5402 times)

Bernadette

surgery at Standford
« on: September 04, 2005, 08:51:30 am »
Hello to everyone, been reading all the posts for awhile.I have finally figured out how to activate myself Ha Ha. I have a 1.9 cm and am having surgery Sept 19th at Stanford Hosp. Scared to death but want to get it done. The one thing that helps me to be stronger is looking at my sons faces and how they act because I think they are more scared than I am.The  only real symtom I ever noticed was my ear ringing, but I guess they won't know how else it is affecting me till they go in.I am glad to be able to read the stories you learn from everything. I hope this post isn't to  corny,  I have a thousand questions can't think of any.But I will take any input. Bernadette

Mark

Re: surgery at Standford
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 09:26:32 am »
Bernadette,

Just curious which surgeons you are using at Stanford, best wishes to you

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

matti

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 12:19:28 pm »
Hi Bernadette,

I had AN surgery at Stanford in 1998. My AN was 3.5 cm and the middle fossa approach was used. At the time I was there, It was the California Ear Institute at Stanford. My surgeons were Joseph Roberson of the Ear Institute and assisting him was Gary Steinberg, Head of neurology at Stanford. Plus about 20 others in the operating room, due to the fact that it is a teaching hospital. I am 7 years post op and doing great, I did end up losing my hearing nerve and have some facial paralysis, but all this has become my new normal. When I was diagnosed with my AN, my doctor said I had the option of going to UCSF, but the surgeon there was not as experienced with AN's or I could go to Stanford, where they are considered the very best in Northern CA and do alot of AN's.

Stanford is a wonderful hospital, but I was not prepared for how large it really was. I was afraid I would get lost in the system, and I didn't. Who are your surgeons? I know it is a scary time for you, and if you have any questions or just want to talk, I am here for you.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Bernadette

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 09:06:56 pm »
Dr Roberson is my surgeon.I have 2 weeks  till my surgery still like a dream (nite mare).I don't even know where to get start.But I will be writing some questions to ask.Thank you                Bernadette

matti

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 11:22:07 am »
Bernadette - I was so happy to hear that Dr. Roberson is your surgeon, he is outstanding!!!!!!!!!! Even though I am 7 years post-op, I still am a patient with the California Ear Institute. For the first 5 years, I had yearly follow-up MRI's and every 2 years I have hearing tests in my good ear. If I ever have any type of symptoms and call them, they are right on it, I never have to wait. His nurse is wonderful too. Right after my surgery, he opened up the California Ear institute in San Ramon, lucky for me, that  is where I live. He does not do surgery in San Ramon, as he has a special operating suite in Stanford.

During my surgery, he was not able to save my hearing nerve and once in there, discovered that my tumor had severely damaged my facial nerve. He told me that he did not care how long it took in the operating room, he was going to do whatever it took to save it, and he did. I have since referred 3 other patients to him and all are so very happy with him. They have all had their surgeries and are doing well.

During my sugery, his operating nurse would call my family in the waiting room, every hour on the hour and update them. Like I said, he  and his whole staff are wonderful and I will always and forever sing their praises.

Please keep me posted and I am here if you have any questions or just want to talk.

matti
Life is great at 50

Bernadette

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 01:19:52 pm »
matti     Thank you for your reply about Dr Roberson,  you are very positive sounding and I appreciate that so very much. I know you know what I must be going through right now, so it is nice to read your emails. I feel like I should be doing more to get ready but instead I am taking care of more things at home. My mom lives across the street and is taking time off to help me and my family.How long were  you in the hospital? The Dr said 3-4 days with everything okay. How long did you have on bandages? The thought of being away from my sons kills me, I don't want them to miss school. I know I must be positive to heal. Thank you matti I will be thinking of more questions. Bernadette      
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 01:35:07 pm by Bernadette »

matti

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 03:19:26 pm »
Hi Bernadette -  What I did to get ready, was exactly what you are doing and that is taking care of everything at home. I had the nesting instinct, so I cleaned, re-oganized and stock piled. I guess it was my way not thinking about it so much. I really did not have much time between diagnosis and surgery, about 2 weeks. I totally understand how you feel about being away from your boys, I have two boys and at the time of my surgery, they were 12 and 14, I am a stay at home mom and it was the first time I had ever left them for more than 1 day. The first night of my surgery, my husband, boys and my parents spent the night in a nearyby hotel. My husband took time off work to take care of me and my parents helped out as well. After about a week and half, I was confident enough where I could be by myself for the day. That is so great that your mom lives close and is taking the time off. Don't push yourself and take it easy. (A hard thing for us mom's to do, I know). How old are your boys?

My surgery was on a Thursday at 7:30am, I arrived about 6:00am. I was taken to pre-op about 7:00 and my family was in there with me while I had my IV's and the last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist giving me a shot and telling me that I will feel like I had a glass of wine... and as soon as he said that I was out and do not remember being wheeled into the surgery suite. I woke up 8 hours later in ICU. You do not go to recovery. The only really pain I experienced was from the bandage around my head, it was tight. Once they stopped the morphine, I felt so much better. I was then put on tylenol and codiene. I was in ICU until the following morning.  The bandage came off on day 3 (Satrurday) and I was up and walking (assisted) quite often. I was home on Monday morning before noon. Stanford being a teaching hospital, you will have many students coming by on rounds and they all have questions to ask. I actually looked forward to their visits. ( I was getting bored)

I want to give you my e-mail address  - cmatt5@comcast.net. Please contact me if you have any questions or just want to chat.  What surgical approach is Dr. Roberson using?

matti
Life is great at 50

Bernadette

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 05:18:02 pm »
wow that was real fast! I have known since July but the Dr went on vacation beginning of August. He said he is  doing the middle fossa to try to save what hearing I have left in my ear.My sons are 22 , 14, 12. I am very close to all of them. I work in a grocery store and I haven't really told alot of my co workers it's hard to talk about sometimes without being emotional. I will be emailing you, thank you again..        Bernadette

Angela

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:21:21 pm »
I went to Cal Berkeley had my surgery at Stanford.  Nothing bad happened  ;)

Pre-op the day before, met the other surgeons, reviewed the game plan.  Checked-in dang early the next morning, got a shot of "sleepy juice" and woke up in ICU.  They scraped away the tumor in 13 hrs.

After 24 hrs in ICU, moved to a regular room.  Got a shunt in my back due to my brain leaking out of my nose (not really my brain, it was brain fluid).  Miserable for 10 days in the hospital.

Couldn't walk unassisted for weeks.  Couldn't drive for 2 months.  Those are the highlights!
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)