Author Topic: Fainting  (Read 2554 times)

phungleon

Fainting
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:41:30 pm »
Hi All,

My dad faint once in a while; especially when he works.   Unfortunately he has one of those cheap medical insurance.  We took him to see a doctor a few times, yet, it doesn't seem like he know what the problem is.  He only told us his heart rate is slow, so they gave my dad all type of medicine to take(some kind of medicine to speed up the heart rate).   I am NOT a big fan of medicine as i believe there is always a natural way to doing it.   THis is where i need your help.   Is there certain things that my dad should consume less of?  Should he be doing more exercise to speed up his heart rate?  Any advice?

Thank you.

Leon

rntiggergirl

Re: Fainting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 08:16:14 pm »
Hi
It is very important for your father to take the medications prescribed to him. Having your heart rate fall to low can be fatal!! You need to discuss your concerns about the meds w/ his physician. 

Cheryl

jw

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 07:17:36 am »
Hi, Leon.

You must be quite worried about your Dad. 

It is important to continue medication that is prescribed and take it appropriately.  If your dad's heart rate decreases to the point where he faints (or if his heart stops pumping strongly enough to keep his blood pressure up), then it can be serious.  There could be a number of causes of this.  I'm no doctor, so I'm just thinking aloud.  The medicine will attempt to address his problem with his heart and regulate it.  Follow-up with the doctors is important to see if the proper medicine has been prescribed.  They may have to change his dose and/or the medicine(s) he is taking to get his heart working properly.

More exercise would speed up his heart, but it depends upon the problem.  Will this help his heart, or might it cause too much strain on his heart and damage it?

I would suggest that you visit the doctor with your Dad and ask him these questions.  Perhaps your dad is worried when he is at the doctor and forgets to ask these questions or he might not remember everything the doctor says.  It's common for patients to have too much information to remember and they forget everything the doctor says.  You could ask the questions for your dad, and don't forget to take a notepad and write down what the doctor says.  Having you with your dad might also comfort him and put him at ease.

It's very important to follow the directions of the doctor and his prescriptions.  There are so many reasons that your dad could be experiencing the symptoms he is.  In one case he might want to exercise, in another case he shouldn't.  It's best to get this information directly from your doctor, who will answer your questions and talk about your concerns.

Hi All,

My dad faint once in a while; especially when he works.   Unfortunately he has one of those cheap medical insurance.  We took him to see a doctor a few times, yet, it doesn't seem like he know what the problem is.  He only told us his heart rate is slow, so they gave my dad all type of medicine to take(some kind of medicine to speed up the heart rate).   I am NOT a big fan of medicine as i believe there is always a natural way to doing it.   THis is where i need your help.   Is there certain things that my dad should consume less of?  Should he be doing more exercise to speed up his heart rate?  Any advice?

Thank you.

Leon
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 12:22:21 pm »
  It sounds like your father may need a pacemaker to help his heartbeat since he is being symptomatic with the slow heart beat.       If he did tolerate it being slow with no dizziness or fainting then he would be ok.   He needs to see a cardiologist if the doctor who prescribed just medicine is a family practioner.       Increased exercise would not be the answer and could harm him.     I am a nurse and this is seen occ in older people and most do very well once they get the pacemaker.                               Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care