Author Topic: Have anyone heard of the Retro-Mastoid Approach?  (Read 5622 times)

shanne

Have anyone heard of the Retro-Mastoid Approach?
« on: August 18, 2005, 02:27:00 am »
Hi,

Im due for my surgery in Sept, and was told by my surgeon that he would be using the Retro-Mastoid Approach.
Its not listed as the common approaches, and research is not easy for this.
Could anyone advise on this if you know sometime about this approach?

Thanks!

Rgds,
Shanne ( Singapore )

Raydean

Re: Have anyone heard of the Retro-Mastoid Approach?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 03:28:46 pm »
Translabyrinthine Approach:
The translabyrinthine approach may be preferred by the surgical team when the patient has no useful hearing, or when an attempt to preserve hearing would be impractical. The incision for this approach is located behind the ear. It involves removing the mastoid bone and some bone in the inner ear, allowing excellent exposure of the internal auditory canal and tumor site. This approach facilitates the identification of the facial nerve in the temporal bone prior to any removal of the tumor. The surgeon, therefore, has the advantage of knowing the location of the facial nerve prior to tumor dissection and removal.

Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital Approach:
This approach creates an opening in the cranium behind the mastoid part of the ear. The surgeon observes the tumor from its posterior surface, thereby seeing the tumor in relation to the brainstem. When removing large tumors through this approach, the facial nerve can be exposed by early opening of the internal auditory canal. Small tumors can be removed with hope of preserving hearing in some patients through this approach.

Middle Fossa Approach:
This approach is utilized primarily for the purpose of preservation of hearing. A small window of bone is removed above the ear canal to allow exposure of the tumor from the upper surface of the internal auditory canal beyond the inner ear.

The surgeon and the patient should thoroughly discuss the reasons for a selected approach. Each of the surgical approaches has advantages and disadvantages, and excellent results have been achieved using any of the above approaches.

The above is from the ANA website.  I'm also enclosing information from another site.

Translabyrinthine
Translabyrinthine is an approach through the mastoid and semicircular canals to the internal auditory canal. The advantages include the following. Few muscles are attached to the mastoid so that there is little muscle pain after surgery. There is an excellent view of the tumor in the internal canal. The surgical approach can be performed relatively quickly. There is little need for brain retraction. Disadvantages include the following. The exposure is relatively small. Removal of large tumors may take longer. Hearing preservation is difficult. Balance preservation is impossible.
top of page | table of contents | home page

Middle fossa
Middle fossa is an approach above the ear. The advantages include the following. There is an excellent view of the tumor in the internal canal. The chance of preserving hearing and possibly balance function in patients with tumors confined to the internal canal is as good as with any other approach. Disadvantages include the following. The temporalis muscle covering the bone flap is thin. Any irregularity in the bone flap may be felt as an annoying irregularity. The facial nerve often lies between the surgeon and the tumor. In these cases, the nerve must be retracted to remove the tumor. This puts the patient at greater risk of incurring a temporary facial muscle paresis after surgery. Removal of tumors extending beyond the internal canal is difficult because of limited exposure of the cerebellopontine angle.
top of page | table of contents | home page

Suboccipital 
Suboccipital is an approach behind the mastoid. The advantages include the following. There is a large exposure of the cerebellopontine angle, an advantage for removing large tumors compressing the brainstem and cerebellum. The rate of hearing preservation for all sizes of tumor in our series is better than with any other approach. The rate of hearing preservation for tumors confined to the internal canal ranges from 65 to 85% (comparable to the best results reported for middle fossa surgery); tumors extending out of the canal but without brainstem compression from 25 to 45%; and tumors compressing the brainstem about 15% (largest tumor with hearing preservation is 3.5 cm). Proponents of translabyrinthine surgery state that facial nerve preservation is better with that approach; however, in our series facial nerve preservation is as good as with the translabyrinthine approach. We have been able to preserve the facial nerve in all patients with tumors less than 3 cm, and in 90% of patients with tumors 3 cm and larger.

Disadvantages include the following. The cervical muscles must be separated from the subocciput to gain exposure. Muscle pain following surgery is common. One estimate is that 50% of patients will be experiencing headaches at six months after surgery, 25% at one year, and 10 to 15% at two years. Patients with muscle tension headaches prior to surgery are more likely to have headaches after surgery.

Is it possible the doctor mean tRetrosigmoid/Sub-occipital Approach?   
 Hope this helps
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

shanne

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:01:24 am »
Hi Raydean,

Thanks for sharing so much information on the surgical methods.. You are indeed very knowledgable in the methods used..
I checked with my surgeon, & confirmed that the method he would be using is RETRO-MASTOID technique.
Though its different from the 3 common methods used, but its the method my surgeon most commonly uses..
And according to the surgeon, he's very confident that this method works well on me..
Well, i guess i should just leave it to the surgeon to do his best for me...

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing..
Im glad we met in this forum.
Its this forum we make new friends..

Thanks!

Rgds,
Shanne ( Singapore )

shanne

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:56:12 pm »
Hi Maria,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the Retro-Mastoid surgical approach.

Are you an AN patient too? Did you go through surgery too?
I hope you could share your story with me..
You could email me at shaboo7967@yahoo.com.sg
I sincerely hope you could share your experience with me as im preparing for my surgery due in Sept.

Rgds,
Shanne ( Singapore )

rntiggergirl

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 09:21:56 pm »
Hi
The retromastoid approach is directly behind your ear. the incision runs from just above your ear in a semi circle to just below the ear. This is the procedure used to do my labrynthectomy/vestibular nerve resection in July. 

Cheryl

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 09:28:02 pm »
My surgeon, upon initial  consult,   noted the    potential use of the retromastoid approach with me...will monitor this thread for  further  pro's and cons of this approach.

Raydean, terrific post noting  the different procedures!  You are terrific!  :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

shanne

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 08:18:32 pm »
Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for sharing your AN story.
I should have gone for my surgery in Sept, but due to a sudden emergency condition of perforated appendicitis, i had to postpone my surgery till further date. Speaking of my account, i feel very sad whenever i think of it.
I had a very long surgical wound ( approx 10cm ) in my lower abdomen due to the appendectomy they had performed for my perforated appendix.
I was told the appendix had burst, and had inflammed the neighbouring organs, thus, they need to open me to clean the internal parts.
to add more misery, i was AGAIN warded for serious wound infection few days after my 1st discharge from the hospital!
Gosh... i feel really shattered...

I went for a checkup at my Neurosugeon's, and was told my blood pressure & blood count is still not regained.
It was due to a massive loss of blood due to the huge incision made for the perforated appendix.
I was advised that mid November would be a better time for the AN surgery as i needed more time to heal.
Its sad enough to be diagnosed with an AN, but its even worst that i had to go through all these trauma & pain just before my AN surgery..
Not sure whether my mood is affecting my AN condition, im starting feel some facial pain & also some headaches on & off.
The ringing in my left ear also became louder than before..
I hope i could pull through this....

Shanne

shanne

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:52:08 am »
Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for your well wishes, i too, hope i can have a complete & successful recovery from the appendectomy.
After going through so much lately, i started to treasure my life, my family & my friends more.
It's the support, love & care gained from them, which had helped me go through my bad times.
Im also thankful to this forum, where i made some really nice friends.
Thank God i met you in this forum.

Thanks for keeping me in your prayers..
You will be in mine too.

You can even write to me at my email address: shaboo7967@yahoo.com.sg
Lets share more about the Translab surgery you went through.

Your new friend,
Shanne ( Singapore )