Author Topic: anyone else develop post op brain abscess?  (Read 1654 times)

kmb

anyone else develop post op brain abscess?
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
I had my surgery sept of 2006 for a 2.5 cm tumor. Everything went really well, but I developed an abscess in May of 2007 and had emergency surgery on it. They went in through the same incision as it was in the original surgery site. Did anyone else have an issue with this? I was not given a definite cause, but told it could have been from bacteria introduced during original surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: anyone else develop post op brain abscess?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »
kmb:

I didn't develop this problem post-op, but other AN patients have.  It is somewhat rare but not entirely unknown.  The cause could be a variety of things and I wouldn't want to speculate, but bacteria are insidious and can grow in situations we wouldn't normally think possible.

I assume the infection was controlled and eradicated and that you are now fully recovered.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kmb

Re: anyone else develop post op brain abscess?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:48:30 pm »
I spent 4 more days in the hospital and was on iv antibiotics 4 weeks and 6 weeks of pills. Yes I am fine now. I have logged 4200 miles on my motorcycle this summer. I consider myself lucky after hearing some of the other issues people deal with.

kmb