Author Topic: pre and post-op dizziness  (Read 3009 times)

nannettesea

pre and post-op dizziness
« on: October 13, 2005, 04:23:08 pm »
Hi,
New to this site, very glad it is available, this is my 2nd posting.  I'm very distressed about this dizziness.  Had the trans-lab 7 weeks ago, surgery because of sudden onset of dizziness.  It is now worse post-surgery, supposed to start a new job next week and don't know how I'll manage.  Very scared, PT is not really helping.

Did anyone have lots of dizziness pre-surgery, and how long did it take to recover?  I did hear from one person who was very helpful, he/she is in worse condition than I, unfortunately.  My sympathies to all of us who are suffering, but also appreciate the postive stories.  I know it's important to keep our chins up.
Thanks for any feedback.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

littlemissrory

Re: pre and post-op dizziness
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 10:26:21 pm »
Hey Nan...
My main symptoms before having Retrosigmoid surgery May 2004 was dizziness, vertigo, nausea and some nystagmus.  Life is great now!  Just a week post I started walking ALOT, getting on and off escalators and walking with my eyes closed and in the dark. I pushed the limits post surgery after a month (had to wait for the CFS leak to close itself); then I just did everything that would throw me off balance...still walking ALOT, rolling my kayak, riding on boats or in my friends small plane, kept up the escalator riding, walking with my eyes closed and in the dark-in general making myself feel like hell...but it really helped.  Even went so far as to learn how to surf about 8 weeks after getting home.  Huge differences by month two, after that it was just silly stuff.  More challenging to walk in the dark for about another 6-8 months, still strange at times trying to walk and look at shop windows or the grocery aisle-small price to pay...and it is improving.  Do find that even now if I'm tired that the dizziness/balance problems do have a tendancy to kick in- I laugh it off.  There are times that I have been a great source of amusement for my friends...people are very understanding.  I have just started sailing lessons and simply told my instructor the situation...no problems- it turned out there wasn't any issue with any dizziness on the boat.  I have just been up front and honest with people, the majority will be extremely helpful.  Best of luck with your new job and life on the post side of surgery. 

I just did what my doctor said which was the more I throw myself off-balance and get dizzy-the quicker the body will figure out what it is doing.  Keep in mind that situations are different and not to be frustrated with where you are.  They were able to save my balance nerve and not everyone gets that, also- everybody heals at there own pace...BE KIND TO YOURSELF...remember- you just had brain surgery less than two months ago and then smile and realize that your stronger than most.

Feel free to e-mail me if there is anything I can help with,  littlemissrory@hotmail.com

Ciao!
Rory

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 06:25:40 am »

littlemissrory is giving you good advice ... you do have to "push" yourself .. I'm still a little dizzy after by Aug 9,2005 surgery but I'm now back to work 3 days and home working 2 (at least I have a sit down office job). I was on a boat a couple of weeks ago and had lots of trouble ..but I love to fish.. so I WILL BE BACK! .... I've even spun around in the dark in the backyard like a kid to practice!! or try to get a toy from the dog (like chasing a chicken!) ...

Joe

4cm removed at House
Aug 9,2005
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nannettesea

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:07:51 am »
Thanks both to Rory and Joe for their encouragement.  Rory, I did have my balance nerve cut, but the doc thought that was important for me to do with my dizziness issues.  Interesting that your doc didn't think it was necessary.

Pushing myself is a challenge, struggle with depression due to not seeing progress, but try to walk as much as possible.  When I go too far get nauseous.

Kudos to both of you for taking on the challenges, and I will try to be easier on myself.  Must find the "balance" (no pun intended!) between pushing and letting myelf relax and heal.

Thanks again for your stories.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

knd

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 10:19:14 pm »
Great info from the others.  I, also, pushed myself to do more things than what i was told.  Walking IS THE BEST.  I danced in circles, closed my eyes, went to the ocean before leaving for home after the surgery and watch the waves.  I, too, close my eyes and did things by the couch in case I fell or needed to touch.  Closing eyes, dancing, swirling around, going on a balance ball, anything you can think of to do dizzying kinds of things, will make you less unbalanced.  And laugh it off when you bump into walls.  It's your new life and, think of it, it is funny.  Just smile and enjoy that you are here and healthy and just unbalanced.  That will get better, but be careful walking up and down stairs...hold on.  Just have fun with it and set yourself some goals.  Mine was to dance crazy like I used to.  I have gotten there and am enjoying it.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 07:05:46 am »

I think "goals" in the key .... mine is to stand and walk in a fast moving river (hard to do normally) and fly fish like I used too!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital