Author Topic: gross nose question.  (Read 3796 times)

satman

gross nose question.
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:11:57 pm »
Now that I think about it ,I cant remember how to spell "gross",must be the brain tumor I had,ha,ha.
Anyway.here goes,since I had my surgery , my nose feels like I have been walking in the sahara for weeks.
when trying to clean out my nose, it is so dry and clumped upthat it literally hurts.
it's so dry,that if i try to clean it out I will start bleeding[very lightly] I told you it was gross.
has anybody else had to deal with this situation or something similar.
I've had enough fun now, I want off the ride.

kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: gross nose question.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:26 pm »
Hi there John - I didn't know if my nose problems were from AN/paralysis on the right side or allergies - always feels stuffed up.  I use the Breathright strips every night - it really does help me to breathe through my nose - I'd be lost without them.   You have your young age on your side.  I recently saw a surgeon for further paralysis surgery - you may have seen my latest post in 'facial issues' - the doc told me the nerve grafts work best on younger patients (meaning YOU! - keep remembering patience, I know you're one up on that).
Drink lots of water, the hydration will help when you blow your nose to release the dry crud  (talk about gross!!!)  Yes, I do get some bleeding because of the dryness...
Keep the faith my young friend..... Nancy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:31:49 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:36:21 pm »
Nancy, you rule !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:56:34 pm »
Yeah - I'm like Marlon Brando in 'Apocolypse Now'     OH THE HORROR!!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:18:28 pm »
Yep, I've the same issue with my nose drying out.  Once it gets a sore in it, the healing is tough.  My healing involves squirting saline nasal solution in there a few times a day to allow the gunk to blow out.  Fingers and cotton swabs will just make matters worse.  Those hairs are supposed to guard against germs and dust but they can't stop your fingers!  I speak from my own experience don't touch the sore spots. 

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 05:24:56 pm »
Hi Satman,

I know this may sound a little gross but I also had a very dry nasal cavity after my surgery and what I did was to put a little bit of medicated chapstick in my nose before I went to bed at night. It seemed to keep enough moisture in my nose through the night, so in the morning my nose wasn't that dry. This is not doctor approved, but it is what I did to help my problem. It's worth trying and it doesn't cost much either. Hope this helps!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 05:25:14 pm »
Satman ,

Nancy is right about the nose strips at night. (I too had to do this i.e.: from the facial palsy) Get some Q - tips and Vaseline …and swab the inside of your nose before bed. If your nose really stings “blistex lip ointment� (not the lip balm) can act as an analgesia (but use sparingly and only occasionally only when it is really sore)

http://www.blistex.com/Lip%20Ointment.htm

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 06:04:43 pm »
wow....I also have nasal issues and I just learned something.  The nasal issue is very uncomfortable and is gross, but thank you Satman for raising the question!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:05:02 pm »
I am glad that Bopie mentioned the saline nose solution.  You can buy this stuff right at your pharmacy. I have NeilMed Sinus Rinse  (www.neilmed.com).  It is great for allergies, and I would assume any other nose crud. It doesn't hurt, but it is important to remember to put in the packet of ingredients that makes the water not sting! It's easy to use and not as bad as it sounds like it would be.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

vcschaub

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 02:13:01 pm »
The company that makes the"Ayr" saline solution also has a saline nasal gel that I found very helpful. The obvious product name is "Ayr Saline Nasal Gel". There is probably a generic/pharmacy line equivalent. You don't need a prescription.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Lainie181818

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 05:21:27 pm »
Hi Satman,
God, AN problems are like giving birth and colonoscopy's, all dignity and privacy fly out of the window. I think it is great that we can all talk to each other about " gunk and stuff " Has anyone had problems with dried lips. I don't know how much lip balm I have gone through since my surgery. Any suggestions?
Lainie.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 06:13:24 pm »
Hi Lainie - my lips had gotten really dry after surgery - I started using Chap Stick Overnight Lip Treatment(it's in a small purplish color tube).  It worked for me & I've continued using it every day.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Dealy

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 06:54:59 pm »
I posted on the thread about Neurontin about Sinus congestion I have had ever since radiation. Was told this can block Sinus passages. Now I know some of you have had surgery so that is not the answer for you. CT scan showed I have Sinutitus. My nose always drips and sinuses felt congested. So now I am on powerful antibiotics for that. Hey-when you have an AN- whether you have surgery or radiation it seems some of us do not get off scot free. Either eye-nose-facial problems-you name it-some of us are dealing with some hectic repurcussions. Funny thing though-I am an NF2 and I had surgery for a 1.5CM in 1988 with absolutely no side effects except leaving me totally deaf in that ear. So either I was darn lucky or had a terrific surgeon and their was no one even too share experiences with back then. I also read in a medical book that you do not want to over-do it with nasal sprays because they can cause the nasal passage too dry out and matters will get worse-could become chronic-just what I read-so I am passing that along. Thanks Ron

Obita

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 06:56:36 pm »
And here I thought I was the only one with this never talked about problem.  Summer is ok but when the heat is on (about 7 months in Minnesota), my AN side dries up at night.  I was told to put a little vaseline in there with a cotton swab.  It does work but now I am anxious to try the Ayr gel mentioned (thanks vcschaub).  If you try the vaseline, don't use your finger if you have nails.  If you nick the inside of your nose with a nail, it will probably bleed for a week.  Well, maybe not a week....

Lainie181818:  I have the lip thing in the winter too.  My dry lips are not AN related but career related.  I have worked in a lighting showroom for 25 years.  The lights dry out the air big time.  I had read many years ago that lips can get immune to a product.  The solution for me is to keep changing what I put on my lips.  It has worked for me.  Next, I think I shall try the Chap Stick Overnight Lip Treatment - thanks nancyann!

Satman:  See how far you have come!!  Four months ago you probably would not have remembered how to spell GROSS!!  Thanks for bringing up the Gross Thing!
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines