Author Topic: Has anyone had a tumor 5X7 cm or larger? How was your recovery?  (Read 3259 times)

krmilmont

Has anyone had a tumor 5X7 cm or larger? How was your recovery?
« on: October 08, 2007, 08:11:31 am »
Most of the posts I've seen on this website are from people whose tumor was smaller than 5x7 CM.  My son had one this large, and I'm wondering if anyone else out there had one that large and if they could comment on their recovery.  It will be 2 years in Feb that he had the sugery and 1 year since he had radiosurgery to kill remaining tumor, and altho the surgeons "saved" the facial nerve so he could smile again, he hasn't regained facial movement yet.

Patch

Re: Has anyone had a tumor 5X7 cm or larger? How was your recovery?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:26:59 am »
HI, SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR SON'S AN, I READ IN HEAR SOMEWHERE THAT A PERSON HAD A 7CM AM, LARGEST IVE HEARD OF. IF I CAN FIND THE NAME OR SOMEONE ELSE MAY KNOW THE NAME, IT WILL BE GIVEN TO YOU.

MARK  OHIO
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

chelsmom

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:54:22 am »
Hello,

There is another parent on this board whose son had an 6cm tumor removed a few months ago.
Her name on this board is Robynabc.  You might be able to contact her and get her imput.  My daughter was 17 when diagnosed with a 6 cm tumor.  She also had radiation treatments (FSR-28 treatments).  Her facial nerve was sparred and she now, 14 months after surgery, only has a small numb patch on her face.  There is a doctor in my daughters group that also had an AN.  His facial nerve started recovering 2 years after surgery and is still improving.  I hope your son is dealing with all this.  I know how hard it is for your son, but there are times it's even harder as a parent to feel so helpless and all you can do is be supportive and have hope. 

All My Best,   Michelle
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:49:51 pm by chelsmom »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 09:32:13 am »
My own personal hero is super duper trooper "Satman"  ;D

... his was 8 cm (no not a typo) :o

... he has made major strides towards recovery. Truly a model of perseverance for us all. :)

Follow this thread

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5115.0

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Obita

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:56:05 am »
4cm:  Satman is too modest to write how big his AN really was.  It was 8.75 cm!!!!

krmilmont:  Welcome!  There is a facial nerve test that many people on the forum have had.  I think it is a EMG.  You will find many posts about this in the Facial Issues section.  My facial nerve is till twitching at 3 and a half years post op.  It takes a very long time to heal.

Good luck to you and your son.  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

satman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:27 am »
some of my biggest fans are on this forum,thanks gals.I actually had a pretty good sized one.
please believe, I am not bragging,I wish I was the guy with the smallest one ,in this particular situation,ha,ha..
sometimes you just have to find the humor in this situation. I had my surgery in april and my surgery for facial
recovery in august of this year. I really have only waited for movement for about 6 months,nowhere near the time your son has
dealt with. I will help you out with as much info as I can,please ask , If I dont know, someone here will.  my personal "mentor"
is Pattibobatti ,she has been to hell and back,looks awesome and is there when I need her, some one else that really knows her way around this stuff ,and had a very rough ordeal is Nancyann.

kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

deea

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:01:09 pm »
Hey don't make fun of us  typos's....we have feelings too !    :D

Claudia
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:13:30 pm by deea »