Author Topic: AN regrowth - MRI done last Thursday  (Read 3080 times)

Jwh

AN regrowth - MRI done last Thursday
« on: October 16, 2007, 01:11:22 pm »
Hi all,

I was rediagnosed last February with a 9 mm regrowth after having Retro. surgery in 2001.  At that point, I decided to wait six months and have a follow-up MRI before I made any decisions on a treatment.  Well good news - there seems to be no growth in the past 7 1/2 months - yeah : )  Now I can wait another six months and hope for no growth!!

Just wanted to report the good news : )

Regards,
Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

jerseygirl

Re: AN regrowth - MRI done last Thursday
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:17:04 pm »
Wow, Jen, these are great news! Hope your tumor is stable and shows no growth! I waited and watched for 9 years before having another surgery again. I am one of those people who has less problems with tumors than surgeries. While it was growing, I had no symptoms. If MRIs with contrast weren't invented, the tumor would grow to massive proportions again!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:44:24 pm »
Hi, Jan:

Congratulations on the 'no-growth' MRI scan.  Like you, we all hope and pray that no growth remains on your MRI reports for a long time to come.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:14:47 pm »
That's wonderful news!  I'll keep you in my prayers for no growth from here on out!
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

TP

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:21:40 pm »
Great news! I know you feel good hearing your Dr say - everything looks fine!! I can relate, my MRI last week was good news too! Will keep you in my prayers!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

satman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 03:49:48 pm »
CONGRATS, JEN !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jwh

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 04:53:33 pm »
Thanks everybody.  It's nice to get some good news!  Now I feel like I can enjoy the upcoming holidays : )

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 04:10:36 pm »
Jen & TP,

Great news! And TP you once had a 4cm too!

Lets hope that sucker  ;) just shrivels up and dies altogether. So glad to read there was no re-growth.

My 3 month post op MRI is a week from today… I hope mine is shriveling and dieing – especially since my ear nerve (the tumor’s blood source) was sacrificed. I hope mine does not find a new source of nutrition to grow from…

TP- I had a left Retrosigmoid surgery for cerebellopontine angle tumor. I, and others, are noting a huge improvement in my handwriting (which was becoming illegible before surgery) since its removal. Have you noted any improvement in your facial palsy since your surgery? (This is the hardest part for me to deal with right now)

I look forward to the day when I can space MRI’s a year apart too.

Congratulations and way to go!

Keep moving forward.
Cheers,

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:04:01 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:59:22 pm »
Hey!
That's terrific news!  I"m happy for you and I don't even know you.  I do, however, know how vexing these little bastards are!  Congrats!

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:13:14 pm »
Let me say it too:  GREAT NEWS!!!!  Lord, I can't imagine having to go thru this again - it was/is such a nightmare.   I'll go the radiation route if there ever is a 'next time'.
Isn't it weird how some docs want an MRI 3 or 6 months post op...& others, like mine, don't want another one until 1 year out?  Wonder why that is....  I did have one the day after surgery....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:14 pm »

Well my handwriting still stinks but I think that may be an inherited trait since my dad's handwriting has always been really bad....My facial paralysis has improved slightly. However, the end of the day my face aches and I do not have any tears on my left side, as well as I get dry mouth all the time.  I have a slight smile that turns down on the left side but I don't think it has improved a lot in the last 1 1/2 years. However, when folks see me they say it has improved a lot and if I don't smile you really can't tell that I have facial paralysis. My personal opinion is I am not happy with this disability and really would like it to get better. I've noticed I have more acne on that side of my face. It is not bad but considering I've never had acne before I've noticed a few pimples on that side of my face and I think that is due to poor circulation or lack of "something" in my skin. I've noticed that since my smile is goofy looking I find I don't laugh out in public like I use too so this does change your personality a little. I would love to have my face back the way it was but I keep telling myself I am blessed that I am doing as well as I am! 

Hang in there! It does get better...
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision