Author Topic: Flu Shot  (Read 2384 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Flu Shot
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:14:18 pm »
I'm not sure where to put this so dropping it here...

My husband brought a paper in from work ..they are offering free flu shots to all employees
and their family members... about two years ago I took it and got sicker than a dog
in about 2 days and was sick for almost two weeks... they had told me it was rare to get
sick from shot but some people do...

last year I skipped it even though I had been diagnosed with lupus and the rheumy suggested
taking it ... was told by him that having lupus may have played a part in the reaction I had... I
coughed ,sneezed ,sat on the toilet and sat beside it with head hung over it ... I had the flu
about 6 years ago and it was not as bad as the shot version...

I am scared of getting sick with a cold or flu... and scared to take the shot again even with them
telling me it is unlikely that I get sick from it again... my question is ,do any of you take flu shots? ...
I have had a few allergy issues since surgery , but not a cold yet... I fear that too...

working at school scares me but I charge ahead because from start I have told people I have the
tumor it didn't have me ...and now that it is gone I don't want the surgical side effects rule my life
anymore than necesary...  I am beginning to get a bit paranoid about germs and getting anything
that may make me sneeze ,cough , throw up or get diarhea... I get hugs from alot of kids everyday
and instead of it making me feel good I wonder who is harboring a germ that is gonna make me sick..
I still hug them cause I love these kids ... working with them in my watch and wait period kept me
sane and even though I can't go back working like I was , I am keeping up the volunteer aide work
at school because we are short of help to kids in need of an extra push to learn ... by volunteering
I can come and go where if I am working I am there for the day whether I have a headache or whatever...

I am rambling ... just wondering thoughts from someone who doesn't want to get scared
to the point of locking herself away to avoid germs
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

aardvark

Re: Flu Shot
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:27:27 pm »
Hi Soundy -

I've gotten the flu shot each fall, with no noticeable side effects.  Each year is a custom batch, of course, and perhaps you reacted badly to that particular one. 

Lupus can affect so many aspects of your wellbeing, however, that your rheumatologist probably needs to be your go-to guy.  That being said, I can certainly understand your trepidation after having such a dismal experience 2 years ago.   

Wishing you a beneficial resolution -

Adrienne

1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 07:33:44 am »

Since uour with the kids ..(little germ factories!) ... I would get the shot (myself personally) .. odds are each years its a little different.. you my not get it ...
I would go with the 3 stike rule.. if you get it 3 years running .. I then I would not get it again ....

ps.. I started taking it every year since my AN without issue...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Mary 117

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:41:45 pm »
HI. Soundy,
I also have Lupus and had the AN journey. I don't know what meds you are taking to control the Lupus but some meds recommend that you don't take vaccinations that contain live viruses.I'm starting a new med and I'm going to check with the doctor again. I did have the flu shot last year with no ill effect but new meds require new plans.

Hang in there.
Mary
2cm AN Middle Fossa HEI, Dr. Brackmann,  05-24-05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 01:08:58 pm »
Hi, Soundy:

I can understand your hesitancy in having a flu shot after the horrible experience you had last year.  I would probably feel the same way.   :(

However, being around young children much of the time does subject you to a greater risk of contracting the flu bug and that is something you want to avoid.  You shouldn't have to hug a child and worry about possible germ contamination while doing so. 

I'm not a doctor but I suspect - as others have suggested - that your lupus medication(s) may have adversely interacted with the live virus contained in the flu shot and made you so ill.  In your case, I would definitely consult with your doctor as to the advisability of having a flu shot.  Be sure to mention your daily contact with children as a factor in your motivation to have the inoculation. 

For what it's worth, I had a flu shot last autumn, right after I finished my FSR treatments and about four months post-surgery.  No problems at all.  Full disclosure: prior to my AN, I never had a flu shot and got the flu once in 20+ years (it was very unpleasant but short-lived). 

Let us know your decision.  Allow me to complement you on your wise decision not to allow your AN or the surgical side-effects to dominate your life from this point on.  An excellent attitude and one that I both admire and share.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 05:09:08 pm »
Hi Soundy:  Personally, I received the flu shot twice, 2004 & 2005.  The hospital I work at gives it to all employees.  Last year I went to get the shot but I was allergic to one of the ingredients (neomycin), so I wasn't able to get it.   I've never had the flu, rarely get a cold.  I'm 'suppose' to be one of those who should get a flu shot (chronic illness = asthma).   Anyway, a suggestion to you would be to ask your PCP if it is recommended for you, then you can decide.   I'm none the worse for wear without getting one.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 06:45:38 pm »
I had the reaction before the lupus diagnosis so it wasn't an interaction between drugs...
may have been allergic reaction even though they didn't think so at the time ...

I am without a rheumy at the moment and won't wee the new one til mid November ,,,
I too have asthma and allergies and that is why I took the shot before ... gonna go
see my PCP next week and talk it out with him...see my neuro in early Dec... they are
recommending it between mid November and January here... not sure why ... the free
ones thru work are being giving the first and third Monday in November...

I just want to avoid any coughing or sneezing which sets my head to ringing... funny to
be scared of a sneeze  :(

I may just flip a coin
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 05:34:32 pm »
The only input I have is that the only year I didn't get a flu shot, I got the flu--the real flu Temp 102+, severe headache, joint pain, exhaustion. 
I"m five weeks post op and I got my flu shot last week.  No way am I going to risk getting the flu again!

I did check with both my EENT and my NS before I got the shot though.

Donna
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.