Author Topic: A Science Research Project  (Read 5992 times)

oHIo

Re: A Science Research Project
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 09:08:40 am »
Hi Chris,
I'm also a nurse and I am willing to answer any questions.  Good luck on your project. 

Debbie

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 04:25:05 pm »
Chris,
Great idea for a science project.  Count me in. 

Two ideas re HIPPA problem:
1 - I did a science project (WAY in the LAST CENTURY !!!)) that was just informational from literature; I'm wondering if you could do something like that?
2 - Perhaps one of the ANA Board members that's a (research) doctor (or, for example, a House doctor or...?) could 'oversee' your project and provide the proper forms and authentication required for you to do a health survey.... or maybe you could find out what kind of release form is required and have any of us participating in your survey send you a signed copy? 

Dana

1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:19 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Dana.
We are trying to work through the issue but the county person who has to approve the project is being a stickler. I found a think last night on Hippa laws and research but there was a lot of jargon and legalese to go with it so still wading through. I know he'll prevail it's just going to take some time.

thanks for everyone's support and yes, I feel blessed to have a child who wants to make a difference in what others will go through with this process.

M

Static

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 07:23:19 am »
Chris,
I'd be glad to help if I can.   I'm not on the site a lot because of the responsibilities of a  new puppy, but your Mom has my email address.  You can write to me there if you can't reach me here :o)
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 12:08:31 pm »
Hi, Chris:

We're not physicians but we're all AN patients or closely related to one and can offer lots of personal input for your project from a patient's point of view on the practical, everyday aspects of living with an acoustic neuroma tumor and/or recovering from surgery/radiation.  Our anonymity is virtually guaranteed as we're all using 'screen names'.  Even if we somehow inadvertently volunteered any personal identification, I know that you certainly wouldn't use it in your paper.  I cannot believe that a competent adult cannot share personal experiences of a 'medical' nature to be used for a high school project, when they will remain basically anonymous.  We're not giving out medical records here, simply sharing general information related to our AN experience. You can do this without mentioning specific doctors or hospitals, if that much secrecy is mandated by law. 

In any case, if you can clear the obstacles, I'm sure many of us will be willing to help in whatever way we can, Chris.  I will.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

linnilue

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 06:16:15 pm »
Whatever happened to the first amendment?  If we as individuals want to divulge personal information to ANYONE, it is our right.  who in the world is imposing HIPPA on a high school student, for pete's sake!!  Chris, you just ask me.  I'll tell you anything you'd like, it is my right to give you my indormation.  It's yours for the asking.  Boy oh boy do we ever need a new president!!  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Sam Rush

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 11:43:08 pm »
HIPPA  came from the democrats, this president had nothing to do with it!!!.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

linnilue

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 10:40:26 am »
HIPPA  came from the democrats, this president had nothing to do with it!!!.
  I never eluded to whom made this grave mistake, what I meant and mena is that this has to change and hopefully someone in the new government will recognize that this HIPPA regulation is simply ridiculous...and I happen to know that if you think HIPPA really protects your privacy, you are all crazy, because beleive me, it doesn't.  It take up your time in the doctors offices but it really doesn't keep information priviledged.  There is no way to actually do it.  Does anyone recall the recent episode when George Clooney had a motorcycle accident and entered an ER in New York?  The hospital staff took it upon themselves to divulge his personal information and then they got suspended.  He said he didn't care and din't want the employees to be suspended but the hospital said that it was their policy and so got the suspension.  Now, I believe that that was a legitimate reason and that HIPPA should be enforced but don't you all agree with that, that's an easy one to understand.  But the rest of it is crazy making.  That's my shpeel for the day.  Thanks Sam for reminding me how HIPPA drive me NUTS, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.