Author Topic: Steroids  (Read 3189 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Steroids
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:16:28 am »
I am going to have CK done here within a month and just incase I need to take the steroids for my possible side effects could everybody who has taken it (Deacdon)spelling? please let me know what effects you had on it.
Thanks
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

sgerrard

Re: Steroids
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 03:43:57 pm »
When I had my CK, they gave me one Decadron each day after the zap - three times in all. I noticed very little effect from it, a little boost in energy, but no trouble sleeping. Some others have reported being wired and unable to sleep. I have not so far taken any steroids since treatment. I am experiencing some fullness in the ears, but not enough to get me to call in yet.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:13:26 am »
Here's two sites to check out medicine side effects:

http://www.drugs.com/

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:46:33 am »
Hi mindy,

after my CK, I was prescribed Decadron (decacrap as I lovingly call it) for a total of 3 wks (had to taper off the last 1-1/2 wks).  I experienced bloatiness/constipation and insomnia during the timeframe but I had the best, darn clean house in town (nothing like cleaning at 3am).  Most I know had it short-term (maybe 3 days) but for some reason, my team kept me on it longer.  Not the best med I ever had but I understood its need to help with potential edema.  For me, I took the attitude of "well, it may be for 3 wks but for what it is being prescribed, it's worth it in the long run"....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:03:50 am »
I had trans-lab, but was on the Decodron for a little while afterwards.  I had problems with my blood sugar while I was on it.  I'm not diabetic and have never had problems before, but I was getting my blood sugar checked every 30 minutes while in the hospital and getting insulin if necessary. As you can imagine, my fingertips looked more beat up than my poor head!

I came home with a prescription for oral steroids and they wound up taking me off it because i kept passing out - my sugar was all over the map - too low, too high... I don't know if this is just a weird thing - I do tend to do things differently than the rest of the population, but just thought I'd throw it in.

And in case anyone is wondering - passing out face first on a ceramic tile floor will give you a black eye.  Yeeeeooooouuuccchhhh!  :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 12:48:11 pm »
thanks lori, totally forgot about the sugar issue. I have to agree as I had total sugar hunger horrors  :P  gained so much weight during that time
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:42:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies....I dont need to gain anymore weight! I have a 3-month old and cant get the weight off....(I also have 7 year old still trying to loose this weight).
Lori sorry to hear about your tile incident. OUCH!!!!!! Glad to hear your ok now.
OH BOY I guess I'll have to wait and see.....
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Static

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:48:43 pm »
I was also on decadron after my surgery and had to be put on insulin while I was on it.  Once I was taken off the decadron, I no longer needed the insulin.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right