Author Topic: long time no see  (Read 2234 times)

Clifton

long time no see
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:40:06 pm »
Hey guys,

I went back to work on Nov 1st and have been having a very very good sales month. Im in the car business at a Toyota dealership here in san antonio, for those that don't know.

Dealing with the SSD hasn't been as big of a deal as i imagined. But does get aggitating when the dealership gets loud. Alot of my customer had sent "get well" cards while i was out, which was a pleasant suprise when i returned.

Today, i had my 2 month post op with the neurotologist and i used a sample BAHA.

I fell in love.

They plugged my good ear with a putty closing off any sound from coming through. Then they put the sample "headset" on me and it was like WOW. I could hear again.
Granted, it does sound like im wearing headphones and someone is speaking to me through a microphone of sorts...But heck, that is AMAZING when you have gotten used to just tinnitus and silence.
The only thing keeping me from going for it all the way are its looks...but maybe i'll grow my hair out a little bit.

anyways, im rambling now...

Hope everyones well!
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: long time no see
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:04:35 am »
Clifton -

glad to hear that you're doing well and that sales are good.  I know what you mean about the BAHA.  I, too, was amazed when I did the demo at my doc's office.  I put my finger in my good ear and he talked to me and I actually heard him with my bad ear.  I thought it was incredible.  I can't wait to get one.  I've been growing my hair so the device won't be so noticeable to others.

My doc's office requested a pre-determination of benefits from my insurance company about 6 weeks ago and I have heard nothing so I figured I'd better check into it today.  When I called my insurance company this morning, they said they have no record of any such request (insurance speak for we want to hold onto our money a little while longer), so I had to call my doc's office and ask them to fax the request a second time.  Waiting is really frustrating, but I'm hopeful the procedure will be covered.

If you do decide to get the BAHA, have your doc contact your insurance company in advance to see if they'll cover it.  I hear it can take 4 to 6 weeks for approval - or in cases like mine apparently, even longer.  :)

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:27:36 am »
I know how you feel about the trial BAHA.  I said the same thing - WOW!

I had the implant done a week and a half ago and already, with just the post and a waterproof covering over it, I can hear when i touch it.  I was shocked the first time I went to tuck my hair behind my ear and I stopped suddenly and said "wait - I heard that".   So of course I had to try everything out to see what I could and couldn't hear.  I can definitely hear when the water from the shower hits near the post and I can hear if I touch anywhere around it.  It didn't feel any different.  I thought it would with all the sound going into the one ear, but it sounded like I was hearing totally normally again.

Now is the waiting for the actual processor.  Hopefully Santa will have it in his sleigh for me!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lil_lyd

long time no see
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:02:17 pm »
Hi Lori
I had the procedure a day after yours 2-21-07 but I had it done in San Diego CA. With the BAHA implant does tinnitus change or stays the same? Take care
2.5cm diagnosed 11/06. Translab surgery 02/21/07 at Kaiser San Diego. SSD and very blessed.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 01:31:10 pm »
Clifton,
  Congrats on getting back to work.  It's good to see that things are going well for you.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:01:43 pm »
Well, I haven't had any tinnitus, so I'm not sure if the BAHA will help with that or not.  I know the implant hasn't caused any tinnitus.

Someone who actually has the processor already might be able to answer that better.

How are you doing otherwise - I'm curious since we had the surgeries so close to one another!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:12:31 pm »

Nope.. no help with tinnitus...  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:42:42 pm »
Clifton, a properly fitted ear plug helps filter those blaring sounds.  You can still hear someone speaking close to your ear with the plug in.  I have trouble with loud speakers and announcers in the grocery so I imagine the dealership is just as loud at times. 

A hearing aid for SSD is a wonderful addition to your lifestyle especially in social situations where you'd like to be more normal in conversations.  But I can't say my hearing aid helps at all with tinnitus one way or another.  It seems that since one year post op I seldom think about or notice my tinnitus although it is always there.    As time goes by it becomes less of a big deal.