Author Topic: Cyberknife now in UK!  (Read 3060 times)

Derek

Cyberknife now in UK!
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:07:10 am »
Hi all...

Good news for the UK contingent...The London Clinic, 20 Devonshire Place, London, W1G 6BW  telephone (+44) 0207 9354444 is acquiring the first CK system in the UK which will be available from 2009.

Whilst this is very good news it will now no doubt create a dilema for those in the UK on 'watch and wait' (like myself) who having selected GK as their eventual treatment option (should intervention become necessary) may well now reconsider their available options.

Regards

Derek
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:31:06 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

tony

Re: Cyberknife now in UK!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:28:15 pm »
Thanks, that is interesting
do you know if this is an NHS/Hospital option ?
I ask because my understanding  is that gamma knife
is really skull area only
while CK can be deployed for the neck and spine area
Best Regards
Tony

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:39:43 pm »
well, all I have to say is.... it's about dang time!  8) Thanks for letting us know, Derek.

Tony, if you check the CK Patient Support Forums (http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/), you will see a listing, by body area, that CK is used... It's being used as a leader in treatment for prostate cancers, used on lung, etc.  My understanding is same as your's... GK is skull only, CK is other body parts. My understanding is that CK is not really being used for treatment of breast cancer.

Hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:37:43 pm »
Thanks, that is interesting...
do you know if this is an NHS/Hospital option ?
Best Regards
Tony

The London Clinic is listed as an independent hospital and I am attempting to ascertain whether they accept NHS referrals. Will update in due course.

Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

tony

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:44:52 pm »
Thanks, definately worth checking - these days if you cannot get a
specific treatment - that you do need - on the NHS.
the NHS will "buy" private treatment
(amazingly from private clinics, - sometimes operating
in NHS buildings, crewed by NHS trained staff....
barking...)
Best Regards
Tony

Derek

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:03:30 am »
Clarification from the London Clinic...the Cyberknife will be operational from late 2009 and being an independent hospital they primarily deal with fee paying patients albeit a patients's relevant NHS authority may well be prepared to finance the treatment depending upon individual circumstances.

Regards

Derek