Author Topic: Progress!  (Read 2376 times)

Jeff

Progress!
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:34:34 pm »
Hello,

Many of you know that I had an atypical outcome with many difficulties. Even so, things do get better. While I realize that my life will never be the same, I am thankful for what I have.

I am 7+ months post-surgery. Yesterday, I was able to clear the snow from my sloping driveway and sidewalk and that of an elderly neighbor's, just as I used to do. Looking down at the completely white ground, and looking around while the snow was falling, was disorienting, but I was able to manage. And, I think that it was good balance practice for me. I did have to use the shovel for balance on occasion, but I think that I did pretty well.

So, for you folks who have recently had surgery, those who will have surgery, and those who are contemplating it, there is hope for you! You will do well.

I want to thank the many people who have posted words of encouragement, privately and publicly. I really appreciate you. There are so many kind, caring people here.

Have a great day all!

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

beancounter

Re: Progress!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:48:56 pm »
Hi Jeff, I haven't been here but a month or so and I'm not aware of your atypical outcome but it is a real upper to find that you're doing well.  Best wishes and good luck to you for continued recovery.  Nancy
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 12:58:31 pm »
Wow, Jeff, that is progress! While you were out there I hope you had some fun and did one of these:
I remember the first time I raked all the leaved out of our garden-- there are lots, we live in the mountains and are surrounded by huge oak trees. I was astounded at myself.

Small things like that are huge for us!

My new motto is: Surrounding myself with people in the same boat helps keep me afloat!

Be well and sail on! and keep us posted on the small big stuff like that!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

hendi51

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:12:15 pm »
That is great news Jeff. Captain Deb I love your snow angel
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:52:30 pm »
Hi, Jeff:

Thanks for sharing the good news that even after post-treatment complications, an AN 'survivor' like you can return to near-normal function.  We all need to hear/read these success stories and so, we appreciate your contribution.  By the way, I'm lazy and my walk needs shoveling.  Are you available?  ;) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 04:21:43 pm »
Awesome Jeff!

I remember in the early fall you said you want to do this... Way to go!

Your neighbors are very blessed to have you!

The snow we had here in PNW Oregon washed away.  :-\ (Stayed on the ground only hours)

I SO would like snow for Christmas but it has not happened in the decade I have lived here... I guess I am a misplaced Canadian... who would love to be playing in the snow as I did in my childhood.

You are a real trooper and a total inspiration to me.

Cheers and a big ole Canadian Mother Bear HUG to you,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

marg

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 04:44:12 pm »
Captain Deb said:  My new motto is: Surrounding myself with people in the same boat helps keep me afloat!

I love this motto Deb.... it is so true.... The forum is where I 'run to' when it has been a tough day.  Thanks for sharing it.
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

satman

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 04:36:43 am »
Hi Jeff, Iam 8 months post-op, had all the little extras that come with A N's.
I to still have balance issues, fun hugh ?
Excellent words of encouragement for those who are looking to take
the road down A N  lane.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

1wareagle

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:53:38 pm »
      Congratulation Jeff on your continued progress. If you can shovel snow you are coming along great! Yesterday the temp here was 82 so I can safely say we probably won't have a white Christmas.
      I had just about given up on my face when at 8 mts I got a little movement under my eye to my upper lip. Wednesday I will be at 11 mts and can now show my upper teeth when I smile. All new AN'ers need to know it take time to regenerate nerves and balance.

Keep up the great work,
Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 12:24:03 pm »
To everyone who posted,

Thanks for celebrating with me. This year has been tough, to say the least, but I am surviving. I am seeking new strategies to not only survive but thrive. Your encouragement sure helps.

P.S. Capt Deb: I did not make snow angels but my daughter did. She sat on my snow shovel and I pulled her around. We did take time to have fun. And, that is the best part, that I am able.
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

lori67

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 01:20:37 pm »
Well, I know who I'm calling if I need snow shoveled or leaves raked!! Not because I don't want to do it myself, of course, just because i want to give you guys an opportunity to work on your balance.  I know, I'm too kind sometimes....    :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:26:04 pm »
Jeff
Glad to hear your doing well. I hope everyday gets beter and better for you!!!
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012