Author Topic: Frustrated! My speech isnt what it used to be  (Read 3313 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Frustrated! My speech isnt what it used to be
« on: December 21, 2007, 03:47:10 pm »
I get so frustrated sometimes. When I talk sometimes I studder or the wrong word comes out or sometimes it sounds funny or slower? Arrrrrrrrrrrgh >:(
I just want things the way they used to be.....when I felt normal. When I could talk normal. There are times where I can talk fast and fine and then sometimes I cant get anything right.
Am I alone?
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

debora

Re: Frustrated! My speech isnt what it used to be
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:20:30 pm »
Mindy,
Sorry to say that I am joining you in your little party I can't remember words, sometimes talk slower etc.  I get the feeling that people think I blank out.....................

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 12:32:24 am »
You are not alone.  ;)

I have noticed two speech items in particular.

One is that I sometimes whistle my S's now, as if I can't hear myself making the S sound, so I make it extra loud. It is especially annoying if I happen to be telling someone my name.  :-[

The other is that from time to time, my mouth gets tangled up, as if I am trying to pronounce all three syllables of a word at the same time. I have no idea how that happens or what to do about it. I just have to stop, back up, and try again.

I guess part of getting back to normal is when things right themselves and get better, but part of it is also getting used to the "new normal". It seems to me that you do get used to it - gradually, anyway...

S-S-Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

matti

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:45:59 am »
Same issues here :(      I generally don't finish a sentence and will also say the opposite of what I intend  (hot for cold, good for bad, etc...)  I write and read like I am dyslexic and also slur some words.  I do try and correct myself, but normally use my standard line "you know what I mean't to say".   My writing has also suffered, it's as if my brain and hand are not working together. Some days I write like a 4 year old.

With that said, I have managed to do pretty well over the last 9 1/2 years. Those close to me know I have these issues and have settled into my "new normal" all along with me. They have become very famiilar with my speech patterns and have managed to figure out what I am saying  :)   

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

er

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:02:18 pm »
You are not alone.

hang in there.
love eve

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 09:46:51 pm »
Oh, i use the "You know what I mean" line all the time too.  I think the right word, but the wrong one comes out of my mouth.  I can usually tell by the confused look on the face of the person I'm talking to that I've said something off the wall.

My handwriting hasn't suffered, but my typing sure has.

Steve, I'd suggest changing your name to Shakespeare, but I don't think that would help you any!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 03:57:41 pm »
I don't wish to be a contrarian but I haven't noticed any post-op speech/cognitive problems and I underwent both surgery (retrosigmoid) and FSR.  Perhaps my family and friends are simply sheltering me from my deficiencies but I'm sure I would have noticed a loss of cognitive functions, especially in my speech, by now.  I consider myself the beneficiary of superb medical care and, above that, the grace of God, as many prayers were offered for me during the time of my surgery, radiation and recovery - and some of them came from me.  I think this dichotomy of outcomes simply proves, if proof were necessary, that AN experiences can be drastically different, something we always need to remind newbies and those who peruse these forums.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 05:42:38 pm »
Everything I've read is so familer.I feel like I'm on slow dail-up!I,m also dyslexic,not just in speech but action.For example when I walk into a dark room with the light on,I turn it off even though I need it on.I tell people that I,m around alot ,I may say my words opposite.Just remember that tumer was compressing our brain for awhile&in return we got back lots of complications.We have keep challenging our brain.For xmas I got a nintendo Brain Age game .It improves the brain in many ways,I use it almost daily&highly recommend it.      Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!