Author Topic: Twitching Vagus nerve 1.5 yrs post op  (Read 4699 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Twitching Vagus nerve 1.5 yrs post op
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:27:12 am »
What I thought was my vein in my neck twitching seems to be my vagal nerve. At times my whole side of my AN removed) neck cramps up and I have to stretch it out.
Anyone know what might be going on here? Does the facial nerve reach that far? I saw a diagram of the VAGAL nerve and it does look like it starts where the AN grows, it may have compressed that also?
Just some concerns. I am 1.5 yrs post op SBI left AN. I have been working out pretty hard, but am going to have a full physical and such to make sure I am healthy enough to do triathlons. High cholesterol runs in the family and my dad just had an angioplasty done with stents in one of the main arteries on the left ventricle i believe.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:33:48 am by ixta »
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

amymeri

Re: Twitching Vagus nerve 1.5 yrs post op
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »
Ever since surgery I have had trouble with my vagus nerve.  It took me awhie to recognize it.

I have waterbrash and these bizarre uncontrollable coughing fits and I get those terrible cramps that localize under my right ear at the corner of my jaw on my affected side

These are all things that only came up after my surgery and I think that the surgery itself may have damaged or irritated the nerve or perhaps post-op swelling.

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:15:16 pm »
Thanks Amy, ya the cramping was bizzare, it's like my whole neck by my throat crunches up. No pain. Just uncomfortable.  I was wondering the same, if the tumor compressed not only the facial nerve but the Vagus too, swelling also? not sure, I am heading to a Doc to verify it is not a plugged carotid artery acting up or built up cholesterol. It's just the twitching that is bugging me, like  a worm moving under my skin. :D What specific Doc should I go to?  a neurologist?
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:56:51 pm »
Ixta,

I also have high cholesterol in my family and so I follow a diet. My cholesterol is normal so far with the diet but an extra slice of cheese just makes it skyrocket. My brother, who is only 2 years younger, is already taking Lipitor. He cannot do it through the diet alone. To figure out if it is the carotid, go to a primary physician or a cardiologist. I had no luck with neurologists. They love to test you but do nothing to address the symptoms. Just my experience!

You had such a big tumor, I would be really surprised if your vagus nerve was not involved. I know mine was both times. I was really afraid of the symptoms but had minimal ones the second time which went away really quicky. These include coughing, swallowing difficulties due to uncoordination of musculature, weak voice and in the worst case, no voice due to paralyzed vagus nerve because it controls your vocal cords. I never heard of the twitching but anything can happen with the AN, who knows!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.