Author Topic: Just diagnosed and I feel like I am in a foreign country!  (Read 4318 times)

luvmydogs53

Just diagnosed and I feel like I am in a foreign country!
« on: October 21, 2005, 02:17:40 pm »
I was just diagnosed with an AN found on a MRI looking for something else. Every day since the horror story gets worse. At first I was relived that it was benign. I still am however some of the things I have been told by the ENT have given me the wake up call that I am in deep poo-poo. My visit to the neuro is 10-25 so I wanted to be better prepared than I have been so far. I have been reading the posts and I am now terrified. I already suffer since 19 with depression. This seems to be inevidable. My hearing is not affected yet. The size is .04 of the .08 width of the acoustic canal. It is a medium tumor. I am 51 year old wife, mom, and grandma. I work and babysit my grandchildren. How is my life going to change? Will I be able to work? Drive? What is SSD mentioned in some posts? Thanks for any help. My mind is racing and anxiety is taking over.

jw

Re: Just diagnosed and I feel like I am in a foreign country!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 03:22:20 pm »
I was just diagnosed with an AN found on a MRI looking for something else. Every day since the horror story gets worse. At first I was relived that it was benign. I still am however some of the things I have been told by the ENT have given me the wake up call that I am in deep poo-poo. My visit to the neuro is 10-25 so I wanted to be better prepared than I have been so far. I have been reading the posts and I am now terrified. I already suffer since 19 with depression. This seems to be inevidable. My hearing is not affected yet. The size is .04 of the .08 width of the acoustic canal. It is a medium tumor. I am 51 year old wife, mom, and grandma. I work and babysit my grandchildren. How is my life going to change? Will I be able to work? Drive? What is SSD mentioned in some posts? Thanks for any help. My mind is racing and anxiety is taking over.

I'd say "Welcome", but you don't want to be here!  I am a newcomer to this forum, too.  I have my MRI on Monday, suspected of AN, but not sure until the MRI results come in.  I've had some time to read up on acoustic neuroma and find out what's ahead, if it is an AN (AN=Acoustic Neuroma).  You, however, have just had this sprung on you, and being told that you have a brain tumor is not good news to be sprung on you.

However, it is the best type of brain tumor to have.  Since it is benign, you don't have to worry about chemotherapy, it spreading to other organs, and dying from it.  That's the first good news, and it's good to remember that!

I'm not sure about the sizes - how many cm are they?  However, a medium tumor is treatable!  If it is 3 cm or less, then you can consider various forms of radiation therapy to destroy the tumor and shrink it.  It has the benefit of not opening up your skull and is much less invasive.  If it's over 3cm then you're not able to take advantage of radiation therapy.  After being radiated, the tumor swells before shrinking.  At that size, the swelling can cause pressure on your brain stem.  You would need surgery to remove it.  There are various types of surgery as well, some make it easier to remove a large tumor but sacrifice hearing, others will attempt to save your hearing but make it harder to remove a large tumor.  Your neurologist will be able to discuss options with you.  You're very wise, however, to read up on this before hand, so that you aren't overwhelmed with the information and can retain more of what he or she says.

I'll mention something that was mentioned to me when I started reading here.  There are many people who have radiation therapy and surgery and do exceptionally well.  Unfortunately, these are the people you don't read much about.  They have the diagnoses, all of the appointments, treatment, recovery just like everyone else.  However, once they are through it, all they want to do (and quite understandably) is put it behind them.  They don't want to talk about it, they just want to get on with life and forget about it.  As a result, you'll read far more from people who have continued symptoms and need support than you will read about those who don't.  That's just the natural way that people work.  There is a site that has some good stories from people (http://www.michiganear.com/library/A/acousticneuromastories.html) and it's interesting to read through what happened.  The best thing to remember is that AN surgery has been taking place for years.  Radiation therapy is newer, especially with some treatments like Gamma Knife.  However, these are having very good results.  Whether you opt for surgery or radiation is up to you and your neurologist (and your AN, too), but with either treatment there are good sides and bad sides, but successes!  Incidentally, if your tumor is 1cm or less, they may want to wait and watch it without treatment.

I can understand your thoughts right now.  It's scary to hear tumor, it's even scarier to hear it used with the word brain, and you don't have enough information to know what is going to happen to you.  Just remember, you will read 100x more "horror" stories than the good ones, but in fact it's the other way around - there are 100x more good stories!

You asked about SSD.  That stands for Single Sided Deafness.  In some cases, in order to remove the tumor they must remove the nerve.  A bit of information for you:

AN is a benign tumor, which grows around the 8th cranial nerve.  This nerve runs from the ear to the brain stem and is responsible for hearing and balance on each side of your head.  Once inside the ear it spilts into two sections, one going responsible for hearing and one responsible for balance.  Running inside the ear as well is the 7th cranial nerve, which controls the facial control on the same side of the face.  These 2 nerve bundles go through a very small opening in the bone into the ear.  The tumor is more appropriately called a Vestibular Schwannoma, becuase it starts in the vestibule of the ear and is a neuroma made up of schwann cells.  What are schwann cells?  Think of an electrical wire.  There is a layer of plastic insulation around it.  This makes sure that the electricty doesn't escape as well as other electricity can't get in.  These scwann cells are like an onion skin wrapping and insulating the nerve.  Without them, where the 7th and 8th nerves for balance/hearing and facial control meet, they would short out.  Every time you heard a noise your face would twitch, and every time you blinked you would hear some strange sound.  In the case of an AN, these scwann cells grow out of control.  Fortunately, they grow very slolwy in almost all cases.  It takes years to develop a tumor that is identifiable.  It's not like cancer where the cells can grow rapidly and spread.  These cells stay put but grow.  In rare cases they can grow quickly, but very rarely.  As the cells grow, the coating on your nerve gets larger.  They take over the blood supply from the nerve and start to constrict it.  When this happens, your hearing decreases and you can have balance problems.  As it continues to grow it leaves the ear and grows along the nerve to the brain stem.  As it leaves the ear it pushes on the facial nerve.  Fortunately, this nerve is very resilient to slow strethcing and pushing.  As it gets squeezed more and more, however, it can become thin and you can start to notice facial problems like pains, tingling, droopy eyebrow, vision problems, etc.  As the tumor grows towards the brain stem, it can push it out of the way.  This can cause headaches, etc.  However, even a very LARGE tumor that is impacting the brain stem can be removed and the person goes on to live a happy life.  Yours is a medium one, so I don't know how far it has grown.

As I've read, the size of the tumor doesn't relate to the symptoms.  A small one can cause a total loss of hearing and a large one might now impact the hearing very much.  However, now that you have identified that you have an AN, you can get treatment.  You also have time to do research and find out what treatment is the best for you.  It is going to change your life, but maybe not in the extreme extent you are worried about.  Just remember that for every person who has ongoing problems with their eyes, facial nerves, headaches, etc., there are many people who don't. 

The best thing to do right now is to research, read, and talk to people.  There are a lot of people here who have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do.  I hope that my description is accurate.  It's how I understand it, but I, too, am just starting out here.

Most importantly, there's a great support group here!  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  The feelings that you're going through are shared by many!

Keep us informed, and all the best to you!

John

Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

David707

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 06:10:58 pm »
Hi,

I am 53 yr old.  Had a sudden hearing loss in Sept'04 and was diagnosed with AN (2.5 cm) in October.  After a few months of search for information, treatment options, doctors and hospital, I made up my mind and had my surgery done in Jan'05. 

The surgery took about 9 1/2 hours.  Developed Spinal Fluid Leak the 2nd day.  It was healed by itself after a small procedure was done to drain the fluid from my lower back.  I was very surprised how little pain I had sufferred.  The most painful thing in my case was the nausea feeling.  I went home on the 5th day after surgery (4 days in ICU).  I also had mind dry eye situation for the 1st week which I did not realize until a few days after came home.  It went away with the help of artificial tear drops and eye exercise.  No sign of facial nerve damage.

Went back to work full time on the 5th week after surgery.  First oversea trip in March, second one in May and the third one in August.  I have no problem of doing my job and daily routine.  I do have some difficulty to follow group discussion and some balance problem when I do big upper body movement.  Over all, I have been doing great.  A few minor losses did not bother me at all.

I have been very very greatful, not only for the success of the surgery but also for the peace I had for the beginning to now.  I suggest you do as much as you can in gathering information and take time to make decision.  Try to be positive and have a peaceful mind that, I believe, is very important.  If it is of interest to you, you can click on my account name and will be able to trace back all my posts and replies.

You will be in my thoughts and prayer.  Beast wishes for you.

David(707) 
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 07:26:58 pm »
John,
You did a great job explaining things!!!

David,
As always thanks for always being encouraging!!!

luvmydogs53,
This is a great place for information and encouragement. Both are very important during this time. I had the translab approach 8-2-05 to remove a 3cm AN. I am getting along good. Sometimes I can't believe I had brain surgery.The doctors removed all of the tumor and I did lose my hearing in my AN side but I do not have any facial problems. I had already lost 90% of my hearing so I have adjusted well.
While there are a lot of horror stories most people do well.Choosing an experienced team you feel comfortable with is very important. It is time to take a deep breath, put yourself first, research, research, research and know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.
Take care,
Lynn

matti

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 06:47:32 pm »
Luvmydogs - I know how you are feeling right now, but trust me, if you are going to have a brain tumor, this is the one you want to have. I was told that from the get-go and I firmly believe it. I am 7 years post-op and doing great. I did lose my hearing and do have some minor/annoying facial problems, but I have learned to adapt.

Information is power, so do your research (this site is a great place and the members are absolutely wonderful). Stay positive!

What kind of dogs do you have?  I have a black lab and he is the absolute love of my life. My husband and boys get a little jealous, but oh well!

John - You really gave a great explanation, so much better than my own doctor's.

matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

luvmydogs53

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 06:51:04 am »
Thanks for the encouragment. I have a greyhound mix and a shepherd mix. they are 11 &9. It is the dogs and grandchildren that are helping me cope with the news.

luvmydogs53

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 06:55:18 am »
Dear John, David and Lynn. Thank you for taking the time to help. I really have not figured out how to work this web-site yet. My brains ( no pun intended) are fried right now. Thanks again.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 09:36:20 pm »
Hi luvmydogs,
 I just read the post and thought I would share some of my story with you. I was diagnosed June 9,2005. My tumor was also found while looking for something else. I was completely blown away with news. I was 49 years old at the time and had just graduated college!! I was on a whole new path in my life....single again...children raised....new carreer on the horizon. I was finally going to be and do all the things I had dreamed of. My doctors had thought my strange symptoms were being caused by stress related to the changes in my life so, when commencement was over and I still did'nt feel right, I was sent in for an MRI to rule out MS.
At first I was in a panic then, I found this site, began to get good information, realized that I was still going to live out my dreams, made my decision about type of treatment that was best for me, and allowed myself time out to deal with this. I had surgery the second of August and its been a slow but steady return back to my normal life. I have some problems with facial paralysis that is getting better by the day and I have hearing loss but, incredibly my hearing is even coming back!! I wont tell you that sometimes have'nt been really tough but, I "honestly" do believe that I am going to end up being a better person because of this experience. I see life so differently now. I pause to enjoy the sounds of my grandbabies voices and yes I am able to babysit all by myself again. My youngest grand turned 1 while I was in the hospital. When I first came home I sat down on the floor and let him climb in my lap because I wasnt stable enough to carry him but he didnt seem to mind at all. I think he liked that I walked kinda like he did. :) Looking in those little ones eyes gives me all the strength I could ever need to recover.
I guess I just wanna say that I know you are so very frightened right now but there is life after an AN and it seems to be a life much sweeter.
Now.........Dr. John.........I hope you stay around for a very long time regardless of your diagnoses. I think you are just simply the best!!! You did a great job explaining AN's.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

ljedwards

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 12:27:21 pm »
However, a medium tumor is treatable!  If it is 3 cm or less, then you can consider various forms of radiation therapy to destroy the tumor and shrink it.  It has the benefit of not opening up your skull and is much less invasive.  If it's over 3cm then you're not able to take advantage of radiation therapy. 

luvmydogs:

John's post is very informational; however, the above quote from him is one that is passed on by many patients and doctors and is subject to disagreement.  My 2.4 x 3.5 cm tumor was treated by Gamma Knife in 1998.  Its size was over 3 cm.  The last MRI in late September showed it to be stable. The neuro I met with said that I had received a moderate dose of radiation leaving me with the impression that the dose given could have been stronger leading to a decrease in size that has not lhappened.

That leads to the advice to seek the "best hands," doctors who do specific procedures on a nearly daily basis. Obviously there are other criteria to consider like insurance, travel, distance, followup, etc., but the guiding theme should be doctors who have lots of experience.

Another site you might find helpful is anworld.com.  It was established and is maintained by patients who have been where you are.  The site includes a list of questions to ask when seeing a doctor.  The site contains other helpful information.

Hope this helps.

Jeanne
ljedwards
GK 1998  left side 2.4 x 3.5cm
Midwest GK Center
Kansas City, MO

jw

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 01:39:39 pm »
Thanks for the post, Jeanne.  I didn't realize that.  Of course, when they say "3 cm" there must be some subjective value there.  2.95 cm is ok but 3.05 isn't?  It's always good to hear from many people who have been through it, and I couldn't agree more with your statement to seek the "Best Hands".

John
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.